Upgrade 470 GTX to...

  • Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Guest
Has to be a Nvidia card, since I make use of CUDA.

Now my question is, is it worth it to upgrade the Gigabyte 470 GTX card that I have now? I got someone offering me $200 for the card. What would you do? Keep it and let them buy a used card somewhere else or put that $200 towards a faster card?
 
What do you do with the card/what do want to be able to achieve.

If you are gaming then what games do you play/want to play and at what resolution?
 
All depends if you have extra $100 - $200 to buy GTX 570 or GTX 580 after you sell your GTX 470 for $200.
 
Yes I do have the extra ~$200 for a 570 or 580.

I use my card for Photoshop, Premier, Serious Sam HD FE/SE, Starcraft II, BF2, BFBC2,and I plan to get the new Duke, Dirt3 & Portal 2 soon and BF3 when it comes out. 1920x1080 is my current resolution (also have a second monitor at 168x1050, but I don't game on it) and I intend to in the future get two more 23" LCDs to add to my current 23" LCD and game on all three, while ditching the 22" 1980x1050 monitor.

The system is in my signature, it's powered by an Antec Truepower 750W PSU.
 
I would jump straight to the GTX580, especially if you're gonna be sucked into BF3 :p I would suggest the GTX570 but you seem to be quite a gamer and the extra horsepower will help nicely.
 
I'm an Asus fan, never had any problems with them and their stuff is solid, so i'd stick with them. However EVGA will offer you lifetime warranty, they're solid as well and generally good clockers.
 
stepping that far out, i would recommend getting a 3gb model of whatever you choose.
 
Now my question is, is it worth it to upgrade the Gigabyte 470 GTX card that I have now? I got someone offering me $200 for the card. What would you do? Keep it and let them buy a used card somewhere else or put that $200 towards a faster card?



Not sure about this one.

I would generally want to wait till the next gen unless you got a smoking deal right now. Is $200 really good for it now? I think I would rather sell it later for less but get a next gen card that is a lot better than current choices.
 
Not sure about this one.

I would generally want to wait till the next gen unless you got a smoking deal right now. Is $200 really good for it now? I think I would rather sell it later for less but get a next gen card that is a lot better than current choices.

i agree. the price you have to pay out of pocket isnt worth the performance boost. wait till 28.
 
So a 580 gtx isn't worth 200 dollars, if you already have a 470 gtx?
 
I would either snag another and SLI or wait for the next generation.

Running at 1920x1080 isn't exactly demanding.
 
What if I plan on buying a second 23" 1920x1080 monitor to game on as well in dual monitor setup? Still just spend the $200 on a second 470 GTX and SLI them or go with a 580 GTX?
 
if you intend to do 3 monitors, then go with the 580, and add another one later. if you're only planning on going dual, get another 470.
 
Well by the time I get ready to do three monitors, the next generation cards might be out by then (Sometime in October/November) so should I just wait until then or jump on this offer now?
 
Well by the time I get ready to do three monitors, the next generation cards might be out by then (Sometime in October/November) so should I just wait until then or jump on this offer now?

the new NV chips just were announced as being taped out yesterday by TSMC. we won't see NV cards until next year at this point.
 
There is always something better around the corner. GTX470 is a fine card. If you have the money and want to upgrade go for it. A GTX570 is a good 20% faster than 470 and GTX580 is about 15% faster than that. I know that I can think of a few games that can use the horsepower.

So, it would be $100 or so for around a 20% boost in performance if you were to go with a 570.
 
All depends if you have extra $100 - $200 to buy GTX 570 or GTX 580 after you sell your GTX 470 for $200.

where are you getting a 580 for $400? they are closer to $500.

I was basing my price on Starbuccaneers post, I just assumed he meant a 570 GTX was $100 more then $200, and a 580 GTX was $200 more than $200. :eek:

With that being said, I'm not sure I want to spend $300 out of pocket for a ~35% increase in performance, but $100 out of pocket for ~20% increase seems to be a better deal. :confused:

Going with a second 470 GTX, what kind of performance increase could I see? Would I be able to handle 3 monitors with that setup as well?
 
about 45% frame rate increase on a single screen. yes, technically you will be able to run NV surround (3 screens), but I'm going to recommend that you don't exceed 720P on each screen, for 470 SLI, and even that will require you to turn some things off.
 
I am going to go on a whim and reccomend a GTX 570.

Those new 2.5GBs look especially sweet, I'm hoping that the extra RAM can make a difference.
 
he's intending to do 3 screens, which at present either requires a 590 or SLI of some sort.
 
Back
Top