Upgra54de My WRT54G?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I've been using my WRT54G for at least 4 years if I'm not mistaken. I've never had any issues with it at home. I use it to connect my iPad, iPhone, MacBook, and XBOX 360 (wired). My question is should I just leave it as is or will I see any performance gain on upgrading my wireless home router? I eventually would like to get 6-10 IP wired cameras for home CCTV system.

Just curious if there's bigger / badder / better hardware out there...

Thanks for any advice.

Move to a machine running something like pfSense, and then use the wrt54g for wifi only, or upgrade to something better for ap duty. I use a pair of D-Link DAP-2553 for wifi (one for 2.4 and one for 5Ghz), and a little box running pfSense for router duty. It works very well.

Well, there's an old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I say follow those guidelines. Are there better routers out there? Sure are. Do you really require something better for security, features, control, LAN/WLAN speed? That's up to you to decide. Custom firmware can squeeze some extra life out of your router but if you don't have an Internet connection above 25Mbps and aren't doing NAS workloads I don't think you'll see too much benefit for the money.

I'm not concerned with a dedicated OS running IP filters and other IDS functions for my home LAN. Simply from a network performance stand point.

Upgraded a few weeks ago from a WRT45G to a TL-WDR4300.. was it worth it absolutely! Most of our devices was "N" capable so had a boost in performance with those devices. Also had a couple had a few devices with GB cards a more noticeable difference with those. The difference was more than I expected. It was hard to upgrade the old beast six years old and never had a problem with it. If you do upgrade I'd go with a dual-band for further expansion.

Thanks all. I think once I get more 'N' capable devices or if I had more than one 1000 Mbps device, I could justify it but not for right now. I think the XBOX 360 is just 100 Mbps and everything else I listed is capped at 100 Mbps.

Not sure where I would see or feel a significant performance boost with the exception of my home server which has a Gigabit LAN card.

Back