Upgading...again...need some suggestions

oshia86

Gawd
I am looking at adding another gtx 280 to my setup and im gonna have to switch out the power supply and motherboard, What im looking at in the power supply regions are the corsair tx750 and the hx1000. Im by no means a p.s. guru so i have the question as to whether or not the 750 would even be a good idea with this setup. And with the motherboard i'm basically looking at a no frills motherboard that supports my current ram and processor (and should do 400 fsb) and obviously works with sli. Budget isnt the biggest concern but i do not enjoy spending more than i need to. And maybe when i get an internet connection at home i can start folding again :). Thanks guys.

One more thing. I just recently got a 22" monitor but if i decide to carry through with sli i will not hesitate to return it for at least a 24" so that's not an issue.

With 3 hard drives and GTX 280's in SLi, I would definitely go with 1kW PSU. IIRC 2 GTX 280's under load will pull ~500w alone.

I would definitely go for the bigger monitor if you are going to SLI 280s. I'm sure you know that even one 280 doesnt break a sweat at 1680x1050. Get a 30"er. :D

24" monitor, you only need one card. If you think you need the uber of the uber get a 4870x2. If you get that, get a different board as you wont need sli...

I agree with skittzle and Rydawg5143. You definitely need a monitor upgrade moreso than another GTX280 video card. 1 x GTX280 is good already for a 24" lcd and hella plenty for a mere 22". I would do this with your current setup, sell your GTX280 video card and use the money for 1 x HD4870X2 video card. Return the 22" lcd you just bought and the money you intend to spend on another GTX280 card, invest that in a 24" lcd.

BTW, if you replace your GTX280 for an HD4870X2 card, you get a performance boost by going this route. Also, the Corsair TX750 will be ideal to run this 1 x HD4870X2 card. It will definitely consume less watts than 2 x GTX 280 cards in SLI.

Well as u can see in my sig I took some advice with the monitor, I'm gonna try this out for a fee days and see how the system performs before I make a decision to spend that kind of money on an upgrade. Sometimes I get the upgrade bug and unfortunately the prescription is more cowbell.

Good idea, A single GTX280 is already strong enuff to run most games at 1920 x 1200 res.

Well as u can see in my sig I took some advice with the monitor, I'm gonna try this out for a fee days and see how the system performs before I make a decision to spend that kind of money on an upgrade. Sometimes I get the upgrade bug and unfortunately the prescription is more cowbell.

Back