Upgade to Xp SP3???

tdktank59

Gawd
So is it worth upgrading to SP3 at this point... I was hearing alot of horror stories with sp3 or what that sp1 on vista???

Anyways is it worth the upgrade or should i let it sit there and bug me a bit longer?

I cant say SP3 installation will go flawless because there are many factors involved, just as precaution, backup your most sensitive data or image your drive first before installing it.

One thing i prefer is to create a slipstreamed install disk with latest SP using nlite or autostreamer and start fresh, but thats just my opinion :D

Make a back up image of your PC, install SP3, and then roll back if needed. The same points are still true as have always been with SPs previously. Make sure the system is malware clean, and your drivers are up to date before installing.

I decided to go ahead and install it on all 4 of my systems a few days ago and was surprised when everything went smoothly with no headaches or glitches. Of course I tried it on my least used system with nothing important on it first to see how it would go.

SP3 is a roll-up of fixes and patches since XP went RTM in late 2001. It has very little "new" stuff in it, and nothing that most users would even notice. I think the install has one known glitch with some HP computers, but otherwise should be problem-free. If you intend to hold on to XP for the forseeable future and you don't want to install a zillion updates since SP2 every time you install it, SP3 is the way to go.

I installed it with zero issues, when it finally became available in Windows Update. With that said though, I haven't noticed any changes to my machine's performance. I can't really say I was expecting to see any anyway.

If you've got all the updates already, then there is no reason to install SP3 unless you just like to mess around with your OS. I don't plan to install it on my system unless someone provides a valid reason to do so. I've read numerous threads on the subject, and nonone has come up with a reason yet;)

I don't plan to install it on my system unless someone provides a valid reason to do so. I've read numerous threads on the subject, and nonone has come up with a reason yet;)
It's a service pack. If that isn't reason enough to do so, then please disconnect your network cable from your computer immediately.

yes, we deployed this to our users at my place of business..again as stated..its a service pack-its in good nature to keep everything up-to-date.

If you've got all the updates already, then there is no reason to install SP3 unless you just like to mess around with your OS. I don't plan to install it on my system unless someone provides a valid reason to do so. I've read numerous threads on the subject, and nonone has come up with a reason yet;)

Service Packs usually include hundreds of hotfixes not available via Windows Update.

It's a service pack. If that isn't reason enough to do so, then please disconnect your network cable from your computer immediately.
Just because its a service pack doesn't mean its of super-important value.

SP3 is a roll-up of fixes and patches since XP went RTM in late 2001. It has very little "new" stuff in it, and nothing that most users would even notice. I think the install has one known glitch with some HP computers, but otherwise should be problem-free. If you intend to hold on to XP for the forseeable future and you don't want to install a zillion updates since SP2 every time you install it, SP3 is the way to go.

Yes, it absolutely does mean it is of super-important value. Just because a user might not notice it, doesn't mean that the important security holes aren't patched. That isn't something to notice. A service pack doesn't need to add new features, like SP2, to be important.

I installed it and I haven't had any issues. I don't have an HP either. You probably have most of the hotfixes that sp3 includes anyway so you might as well think of it has the mega hotfix that has already been strumming along fine for months on your system. So install it already.

I installed SP3 on my HP with AMD processor on a 2003 machine with little trouble. Part way through it showed an error code and I just run the disc again and it went.

SP 3 includes all of the hotfixes and patches since SP2. You don't have all the hotfixes.

I put SP 3 on my XP machine and it works great and nobody is reporting problems.

I had one machine become unbootable with SP2. I make sure I have fairly recent disk images which I keep off site. No trouble with SP3 so far for me.

I never had any issues with sp1, had ONE computer lockup on sp2 (had to uninstall/reinstall - and it took all the drivers out with it, so those had to be reinstalled too). I'm going to wait for now on sp3. I already had a friend of a friend tell me he lost everything when sp3 screwed up on the re-boot (a backup would have been nice, but oh-well for him).
I might VM it first to see it in action.

Only 256-bit? That shit is weak! Can be get hacked in no time by the NSA dude. You need 1344-bit encryption or you are just asking for trouble. :D

DriveCrypt

Thats just the stuff i could care less about... The important stuff is not even on the computer... (in my head maahahah lets see them hack that)

Sp3 is really just all the hotfixes you had anyway. The only thing I've noticed is that it makes the upgraded Remote Desktop Connection not suck anymore (doesn't ask for pre-logon logon), and now it asks if you want to copy between zones like Vista does.

I'm convinced most horror stories are from people running pirated copies.

On my one remaining Xp computer. I decided to slipstream Sp3 and do a fresh install. It had been over a year since that one got a fresh install so what the hell why not. Worked out fine.

Back