• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Updating OLD System - mid range price - future proofing

TDHeller

n00b
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
37
Alright, I am about to embark on an update of my OLD system (Specs are in signature - added win 7 -64 update) .
I would like to stay in the $600-$800 range with an i7K for Graphics (Adobe suite) office and some gaming (Crysis Fast).

Been looking to the K6700 with ASUS Z 170 don't know what ASUS revision but the white camo (A?) looks good. As does the Maximus vIII (dreaming on...) Would also consider ASROCK but know little about them except solid quality. - AND can my Zalman 9xxx Air cooler keep up - or MUST I run the water now??

Want 32GB of DDR4 but is 3000mhz a MUST for high graphics performance or could 2133 be as good? Looking at the Corsair Vengence for the price but also see alot of buzz about RipJaws. Keeping in mind lifespan.

Last I am looking to Video cards and think the Nvidia 1070 is going to be it - BUT could I survive a short while on my current OLD Card? MY immediate economy being a short term concern...Can I add it later - or is onboard video better at this point?

Also Pro audio in the background is really nice while editing... :)

An\ything I am missing or any advice I could get would be much appreciated.
Looking to build in the next 30-45 days so Black Fri might help out...
Thanks in advance

Tim
-ThermalTake Mozart TX case -Antec True-Power Quatro 850 Power Supply -Q6600 Intel Quad CPU -Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler -Asus P5W DH Deluxe -8GB OCZ DDR2 800 -Asus GTX460 -Crossover 27" 1440P -Win7 Ultimate 64 -MS Office 2007 Pro - Adobe Lightroom with 2014 suite
 
Last edited:
You can barely afford the processor, ram and motherboard on that budget. If you want a boss 1440p card like the 1070, you're going to have to bump your budget to $1000.
 
You can barely afford the processor, ram and motherboard on that budget. If you want a boss 1440p card like the 1070, you're going to have to bump your budget to $1000.

True that!
Considering you use some of your old hardware, case...
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jLjx2R
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jLjx2R/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($395.55 @ B&H)
Total: $1048.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 23:52 EST-0500
 
True that!
Considering you use some of your old hardware, case...
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jLjx2R
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jLjx2R/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($395.55 @ B&H)
Total: $1048.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-13 23:52 EST-0500


Understandable answers - my question was actually - will I still be able to limp along on the old GTX I have or MUST I upgrade?
I have settled in on the ASUS TUF Z170-s As the Mobo, and may be able to drop RAM down to 16GB for awhile if on two sticks.
Which gives me pause - does 4ghz ram really get it done or do you need to OC it on the board?
If so would 2333 be a viable alternative even though 4mhz have reached parity
Or would any board with onboard video be better than The video card I'm running now. ...
As for the SSD I am currently running a 160GB OCZ SSD for OS but would like a bit more headroom.
I have about 2TB on platters so for now I could survive.

The last question I forgot to ask - Should I make the switch to windows 10 bnow? I really like the old comfy feel of 7 but know times are changing.
Thanks so much for all the input It is of grweat value.

ASUS SabertoothZ170-s $170.00
Corsair DDR4 3000 $99.00
INTEL K6700 $304.00

If It can be done well with this and my existing stuff - it looks like about $600.00.
Let me know if I am missing something .

SORRY Parts sourced from internet quick search - usually returned New Egg - which is usually on the high end price wise...
 
Well, since Windows 10 is still a free upgrade, I see no reason to not switch.

Just do a search on google for Microsoft Assistive Technologies.

I am pretty sure you are going to need a new CPU cooler as well since the mounting is not going to be compatible with the Zalman 9700.

The onboard video is going to be on the CPU. Not sure if it would be better than the GTX 460 at this point. Maybe somebody else can pipe in.
 
A GTX 460 is still quite a bit stronger than onboard video. That's really not saying much though. A 460 isn't going to be enough to many modern titles at 1440P with even medium settings. Some things (The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc) will barely run at all -- you'll likely have to drop resolution and settings to get playable framerates.

The upgrade will feel much quicker -- especially if you can squeeze a modern SSD in to budget -- but so far as gaming goes, you won't see much improvement until you replace the GTX 460.
 
I had a GTX 460 1GB, overclocked. I upgraded it a year and a half ago because I couldn't play modern titles at 1080p above mid-low. With the move to DX12, you'll be lucky if it can do 1080p anymore.

Yes, you can likely continue to use the 460 (if it's the 1GB model), but expect it to be very slow (1280x720) on newer games.

It will still continue to play any older games you have.
 
A GTX 460 is still quite a bit stronger than onboard video. That's really not saying much though. A 460 isn't going to be enough to many modern titles at 1440P with even medium settings. Some things (The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc) will barely run at all -- you'll likely have to drop resolution and settings to get playable framerates.

The upgrade will feel much quicker -- especially if you can squeeze a modern SSD in to budget -- but so far as gaming goes, you won't see much improvement until you replace the GTX 460.

Yep the Larger SSD would be Awesome but 160GB SSD on board now for OS is crowded but liveable. All the other drives are WD Black - 2x500 GB / 2x160 GB and 1x1TB.

Also note just to be clear, the prime reason for this build IS NOT gaming though that's fun .
I'm really trying to improve Photo and Video editing, Lightroom and Photoshop both take ages to load and process images even before any edits or conversions - here I KNOW the video card will help but so does the CPU and faster Ram.

I'm just hoping to get the most bang for the buck on the front side - then fill in the rest as I move along... the full update may take me into 2017 so that's where I'm at now start basic and build in.
I'm Looking for most improved performance and future proofing my overall system, hence the i7 (if the i5 could do this I might consider but the savings seem negligible) and DDR4 3000... is just the next gen at present gen prices.

Just to clarify ...
 
YAY! I do I do live near a Microcenter!
On my way- Hope they have the Z170 I want too...(y)
Thanks!!
 
Well, since Windows 10 is still a free upgrade, I see no reason to not switch.

Just do a search on google for Microsoft Assistive Technologies.

I am pretty sure you are going to need a new CPU cooler as well since the mounting is not going to be compatible with the Zalman 9700.

The onboard video is going to be on the CPU. Not sure if it would be better than the GTX 460 at this point. Maybe somebody else can pipe in.

Why would the mounting be any different? Both are Air cooled CPU's with a snap or bolt on cooler.
 
Why would the mounting be any different? Both are Air cooled CPU's with a snap or bolt on cooler.

The bracket necessary isn't included with the 9700 (and may not exist as it is a fairly old HSF at this point) since the socket size / shape has changed over the years.

If you want to use it that badly you can probably fabricate something to make it work, but just replacing it will be easier and depending on what you get, give better performance.
 
The bracket necessary isn't included with the 9700 (and may not exist as it is a fairly old HSF at this point) since the socket size / shape has changed over the years.

If you want to use it that badly you can probably fabricate something to make it work, but just replacing it will be easier and depending on what you get, give better performance.

Per Zalman site - it should work just fine with 1151...

http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=541

Thanks again
T.
 
Back
Top