Updating Laptop wifi card and antenna.

loopingz

n00b
I don't like the wifi installed in my laptops.
I am thinking about switching them to intel 6300 and maybe one in bigfoot 1102 or 1103. My home router beeing 3x3 compatible I should see improvement.

Anyway I am wondering if it works easily or if I have to install some antennas inside which would be a big mess.
Any feedback is welcome.

First thing I would do is check if the laptops can accept wifi card upgrades. Some laptop manufacturers (notoriously HP and Lenovo) have a whitelist of supported cards in the BIOS and lock out any third party cards.

I strongly doubt Asus locks their bios to wifi cards. They are one of the less restrictive companies and let people do what they want with their notebooks. I have played with a few cards (intel and atheros) in my ul50 and it hasn't rejected any of them.

The problem I think you may run into is you not having 3 antennas to accommodate the new card. This would involve you tearing apart the laptop and screen to install new ones (the right way anyways). If you have relatively decent abilities, you could have everything installed in an hour.

OK, that might be an interesting risky challenge. My Asus G1Sn really needs a wifi improvement. I hope it will fit too. With 3 antennas I am supposed to install one near the screen, I fear this one...
My other PC is a Eeepc nearly dying, I am try to open it too but this is fragile (chassis is already cracked in fact), I am not sure it is worth it, may be more for a training...

Well the G1Sn was a beast in its time. The sucky intel card was working with three antennas, but it looks like it did not like to communicate with multi antenna routers.. Anyway the new one is doing the job much better (intel 6300) but may be too much... It is a half card size. So far I have been plugin it this way but I just ordered an adaptator plate to get it clean.
I repaired my Eeepc, it was badly missing two screws... which cause some ground issues I guess, now I need to install the barefoot card in it...

Back