• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

updating graphics drivers

grifter

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 15, 2005
Messages
107
i remember it used to be a bit of work:
uninstall previous driver
boot into safe mode
run driver cleaner
reboot
install new driver


there used to be a handy sticky thread here but now that its gone does that mean all that work is not necessary anymore?
 
I just uninstall using the ati or nvidia whatever you have, uninstaller. and than I just use driver sweeper right afterwards, I think booting in to safe mode thing is kinda overrated to the maxx, than I reboot and install the new driver, never had a single issue.
 
For the last 2 years I've just downloaded the newest Nvidia WHQL versions and installed them direct from the .exe, never had an issue......
 
i remember it used to be a bit of work:
uninstall previous driver
boot into safe mode
run driver cleaner
reboot
install new driver


there used to be a handy sticky thread here but now that its gone does that mean all that work is not necessary anymore?

Actually it was never that much work. Drivercleaner/sweeper is unnecessary crap, usually for people who have completely stuffed their systems by installing beta drivers and god knows what else.

Pre-Vista/Win7 it could be done like so :

Uninstall old drivers
Reboot
Install new drivers
Reboot

Now if you're running Vista or Win7 it should be even easier

Uninstall old drivers
Install new drivers

If you're running an ATi card, the preferred method (according to catalyst maker) is simply, install new drivers over existing.

And that's it.
 
For the last 2 years I've just downloaded the newest Nvidia WHQL versions and installed them direct from the .exe, never had an issue......

Ive more or less done the same, a lot of cases that will work, except for when swapping between ATI/Nvidia.

Seriously though, this topic keeps on coming up so much, it's these damn fools who insist that driver cleaners are some kind of requirement which is just a load of OCD rubbish.

This is perfectly simple:

1) Uninstall old drivers
2) Reboot
3) Install new drivers
4) Reboot


If you run in to problems which aren't known to be a bug for that driver release then by all means use a driver cleaner in safe mode but it's going to be pretty rare, from personal experience I've upgraded loads of cards like this without issue.
 
Back
Top