Updating BIOS

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
My motherboard is 6 years old and I've never updated the BIOS. I went to the ASUS website and I'd like to update the BIOS but there are like 7 updates. Can I just download the latest BIOS or do I have to install all of them from the oldest first?

Also, my CPU has a slight overclock. Can I just write down the settings before updating the BIOS and then just re-inputing them after the BIOS update?

Download all of the BIOS files, and check the readme's... Some may have a prerequisite of having a specific version before you update to a newer release... or it may not. You can also send an email to asus support and see if they can help.

Yes, write down your settings and you should be able to reset them in the new BIOS version.

This is one of those "if it ain't broke" things. Unless you're having problems that are specifically fixed in an updated BIOS, it's best to leave it alone. A bad bios update can easily bricke your system.

If you must do it though, usually the latest file will contain the fixes of all the previous files, so you wont need to step up one at a time. That being said, there are times I've had to update to a specific version before jumping to the latest (Dell tends to do this a lot). They'll usually tell you when you have to do that though.

This is one of those "if it ain't broke" things. Unless you're having problems that are specifically fixed in an updated BIOS, it's best to leave it alone. A bad bios update can easily bricke your system.

If you must do it though, usually the latest file will contain the fixes of all the previous files, so you wont need to step up one at a time. That being said, there are times I've had to update to a specific version before jumping to the latest (Dell tends to do this a lot). They'll usually tell you when you have to do that though.

+1
I've had this happen to me on a few mobos that were a couple years behind, thinking "yeah I want that new fancy fan algorithm" then bam! Paperweight.
I've also had new BIOS's that have caused my vdroop on certain mobo's to fall off a cliff and totally prevent OC'ing. If it ain't broke....

OP since your looking for a specific feature/compatibility/upgrade, research the hell out of it first, just because it can doesn't mean you should. YMMV.

Back