Updating A8N SLI Premium bios

jazzwall

n00b
I want to update the bios. But I don't want to lose my settings (especially cause I got RAID... and I don't feel comfy messing around again with it...). When I try to use Asus update utility in Win XP, there's a checkbox that says: "Clear CMOS checksum to load default BIOS setting". What is that for? If I uncheck it, will it preserve all my settings?

I just got the latest Asus Update utility from their website and I want to update my BIOS from 1006 to 1007-002.

Thanks for your help!

-Jazz

According to the premium thread in the other forum, the 007 bios has checksum problems!

i would say your at your own risk useing a windows based flash utility on any nf4 mb--esp an asus.

my deluxe kept having all kinds of problems with the bios settings after useing the windows update-- what was happining was the windows flasher wouls just overwrite the old bios,

afterwards --the computer would crash-- pci-locks ram settings would go crazy and "bork" the system.

i don't know if the new MD fixxed this or not-- so i stay on the safe side and allways falsh a nf4 with award flashe from the floppy dics--and the problem has never returned. on a nf4 i wouldn't risk it-- :eek:

i just flashed my premium to 1008.001using the asus update utility without any issues. i would suggest tho to download the file first before flashing and not use the update your bios from the internet option. also i think flashing from a floppy disc is more risky. floppies are about as reliable as a kia.

Thanks for all your responses. I have flashed from floppy before, so I guess I could stick with it. And it's true floppys are unreliable... that's why I verify it's read/write intergrity beforehand (i.e., after saving the bin file on the floppy, I copy it back over to the HD... if it can do that, it can read the whole thing properly... and at few times, it has chickened out!! Glad I didn't find it while it was flashing!!).

And I'll wait until they fix the problems with 1007 before downloading.

But how do you ensure that your bios settings are preserved (especially the NVRAID stuff)... that's the biggest thing for me, now that I have my system up and running, I don't want that to be messed up?

-Jazz

Back