Updating 32 >> 64bit winXP help!

Hellcat

n00b
Ok to make a long storie short (or something like that atleast) ive heard from many ppl that you could upgrade your win XP Pro (32bit) to XP 64 Pro for free!! by turning in some info (cdkey or so from your old copy) to microsoft. Ive looked around at their homepage and can find absolutely nothing. Now some ppl says it was a "last date in July/August" and some says "you can still upgrade". i hear different everytime i ask around, so my question. Is this still avaible, or do i have to buy it now?

I probably have to buy it, or atleast i have a feeling about it, but its not wrong to ask around some more ;)

I really want to test XP64 and if you can just turn in your old copy to get it, hell im up for it ^^b

(and FYI, i have checked up all drivers to my comp, and they are all avaible in 64-bit. so no problems there!) :D

The exchange program is over. You can download the free 120-day evaluation from microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx. Many people find that dual booting is the way to go. If you have 2 HDs or partitions you should go that route. If you decide you like it, you can buy and OEM disk at places like Newegg. I bought mine on Ebay for $110. It's easy to upgrade from the evaluation to OEM (you don't need to do a clean install) so I recommend the evaluation, since it's free and gives you 4 months to play around with it...

one problem, since im in sweden i cant buy from newegg (they dont ship international what i know) otherwise its good ;) and yes i think i might download the trial, just wanted to be 100% sure the exchange was over. thanks alot :)

Hellcat said:
one problem, since im in sweden i cant buy from newegg (they dont ship international what i know) otherwise its good ;) and yes i think i might download the trial, just wanted to be 100% sure the exchange was over. thanks alot :)

The exchange is over. You can buy Windows XP Professional x64 Edition from any Microsoft Authorized Reseller. The 64bit version of Windows is OEM only and can not be purchased through retail channels.

Go for it. I installed 64 bit just as a test about 6 weeks ago. I use it exclusively now. It's a good OS if you do your homework on drivers.

I have to run a dual boot between XP 32 and XP 64 because there are NO 64bit video capture drivers for any video capture device I've ever seen. That's the only thing I need XP 32 for.

Although there are some applications that won't install on XP 64. So make sure its right for you.

Back