Updates on PC cause BFBC2 black screen

jslater25

Limp Gawd
Hey guys - After taking ~ 1.5 years off from playing, I decided to load up BFBC2 on my desktop. I installed all Windows updates, and updated all drivers (basically just my video card's). After trying to determine I had the updated game (still not certain), I loaded it and searched for some of my old favorite servers.

Curiously, when i get to the actual game (not the 'loading' or menu screens), I can see the objectives and the minimap, but everything else is black.

None of my hardware changed during that time, so apparently it has something to do with my drivers. Any suggestions? I would have thought updated drivers would be a GOOD thing...

I'd suggest going into your BFBC2 ini and setting everything possible in there to low / default settings, then also check your CCC (assuming you're still using that 4850 in your sig) and making sure that no wild settings are forced. I had a multitude of issues with that game over the course of the year or so I played it (800hrs+) on a 4870, then 6870 then 6870x2. I loaded it up about a month ago with no real issues but I couldn't tell you what driver I was running, just that it was likely a beta one...

None of my hardware changed during that time, so apparently it has something to do with my drivers. Any suggestions? I would have thought updated drivers would be a GOOD thing...

It's possible you have a corrupted driver that didn't get updated or that some of your hardware failed in the last 18 months that you haven't been using it very much. It might be a good time to reformat.

I'd suggest going into your BFBC2 ini and setting everything possible in there to low / default settings, then also check your CCC (assuming you're still using that 4850 in your sig) and making sure that no wild settings are forced.

Setting the .ini file to all 'low' settings allows me to now see everything (no more black video). While in game, making ANY video setting changes to something other than Low causes the black to reappear. That's rather curious to me.

And I am still using the 4850. Since I hadn't made any changes to CCC, I assumed nothing would change. I'll play around with it to see if some weird setting happened when I updated from v11 to v13.

Back