• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

updates for the Ultimate Budget Box

crazyeddie

n00b
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
22
I need to come up with a bid for three computers. All have about the same needs - a computer for somebody who mostly surfs the net and does office work, but could be upgraded to a decent (if pedestrian) gaming rig easily.

I've been basing my bids Ars Technica's "Ultimate Budget Box" (not to be confused with the budget gamer "Budget Box"). But they haven't updated the specs since April of last year. Here's the link: http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/ultimatebudget.ars

So I'm wondering what the Hard Forums recommend.

I've already decided on an AMD Athlon XP 2700+ (give or take 100+). Since this is mostly for office work, the mobo needs decent onboard video, but has to have an 8x AGP slot for upgradability.

I'm in competition with OEMs, but I can afford to go about $100-150 dollars more than similar offerings from Dell and the other big boys.
 
<crickets chirping> Okay, let's try getting more specific. Does anybody have a board they would recommend over the MSI K7N2GM-L for this application? Also, any recommendations for a cheap but servicable monitor? (That's where the big boys are kicking my ass.)
 
For the monitor...what is "cheap" to you? CRT or LCD? I think you can get a LCD for under 170 if you shop around. Granted it is 15in, but with office work you don't need more.

As for the board. I have been using this Biostar mATX since a month after it hit the market. Rock solid and offers the intergrated graphics that you want and built in sound that is good, AND it has dual-channel memory.
 
I'd *like* to get a decent monitor for $50, but I don't think that's going to happen. More likely $150, maybe a little higher. I think CRTs still give more screen area for the buck, and if the customer wants an LCD, I can probably convince them to pay the premium. 17" is big enough that it doesn't give me claustrophobia (I'm going to be working on these sooner or later, so I want a system *I'm* comfortable with) without undully stretching the wallet.
 
A bit more information: even more important than price is reliablity. I'd rather not get a repair call if I can help it. Also, the deal has to be fairly repeatable - no Hot Deals. (Otherwise, I'd have to keep bugging y'all for updates. I'd prefer to wait on those until the technology itself shifts.)

I also prefer white over black. Just a personal thing.

Aside from color, good call on the monitor and case, Major A. I might be able to figure out the color myself, or I can just suck it up and go black. Case looks a little flimsy. Too bad this over the internet, or I'd try the sit test.

For mobo, I'm still thinking the MSI. Anybody know how it compares to the Biostar?

The RAM will be determined by the mobo, so no need to do too much with that just yet. I generally go Crucial, but might be willing to try Kingston or another brand. No PNY though.

I might be convinced to go Sempron on the CPU.

For CDRW, I've had good luck with Liteons, and the price on those is low enough that I'd go with the devil I know rather than a dark horse.

For hd, I usually go WD, but the price on the maxtor is low enough that I might switch.

The place to splurge is the keyboard, mouse and speakers, since those are likely to outlast the rest of the system. If I go the cheap route, I've got a car trunk full of ps2 keyboards. I think I've got the mouse more or less figured out, but if y'all have a suggestion for about $20, I'll listen.

My sources run a bit dry when it comes to speakers. How about a 2 or 2.1 setup, $20-50?
 
Oh, and I'd prefer onboard video, with an 8x AGP slot. So I guess I'm pretty much limited to nForce 2. I think the extra expense on the mobo is less than that of buying a seperate video card. Plus, it somewhat ensures that the mobo is reasonably good. IMO, it's easier to build a new system than to replace a bad mobo - especially somebody else's.

And the system doesn't have to be a gamer - just needs to have an upgrade path available in case the customer's kids inherit it. (Another reason for onboard video w. AGP)
 
That is why I went with the Biostar when I first got it. I was using it for just office stuff, but knew I was going to be wanting to game on it as well. I went from no video card in it to using a ATI9500 and now I have a 9800pro in it. In my opinion you can't beat the rock solid stability of the Biostar, like I said before it has been running since day one without a hicup. I am running 2x 512mb sticks of Kingston RAM in dual-channel mode with an AMD 3000+ (I think that is the highest it will support), and it runs great, overkill for an office machine, but great for a gamer. So that upgrade path is there with the Biostar. With the newest bios, Biostar added Sempron support on the M7NCG.

I can't comment on the MSI because I have never used it. But if that is what you are comfortable with, go with it.

Also, doesn't a 17" CRT have the same screen realastate as a 15" LCD? I believe that to be the case.

May I also assume that you have taken a look at www.pricewatch.com ?
 
I *think* the MSI goes all the way up to 3200+. So I guess I'll go with that. I'm not sure about the LCD real estate. The monitor Major linked to is going for $75. If you can find an LCD for about the same price, I'll take it under consideration.

As for pricewatch, I mainly use it to see what prices are like on the street. I might be tempted to use it for myself, but for customers I like to stick with newegg, tigerdirect, zipzoomfly, etc. With them, I'm fairly certain I'm not going to get burned.

So far, it looks like I'm sticking with the old setup, at least on the guts. Maybe a step up on the proc. Might go with the Maxtor instead of a WD. IIRC, the case that Ars listed is about the same price, I've worked with it before. Bit of a knuckle buster, but sturdy.

Major's monitor looks good. Looking for a recommendation on a good, $20 mouse. Also, speakers for $20 on up - nothing fancy, but I'd rather do without than get crap.

Strange - usually parts prices drop with the new year. Haven't seen that much this time around. When the heck is Windows 64 gonna get out and drop the Athlon XP prices?
 
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=26-104-136&depa=0
MX310 - Wonderful mouse. Your alternative is the classic Microsoft Intelliexplorer 3.0a mouse.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=36-121-123&depa=0
I don't like sacrificing performance for price. So you might as well get this for only $15 more (not including shipping). Your customer will be happy with this.

You will be fine with a Maxtor. 40/60/80 GB maximum should be enough.

I've built an office PC using a 2500+ CPU with an Asrock KX--something motherboard. Though it is a budget board, it is extremely reliable. I've had it thoroughly tested and it could stay booted for a week straight (not that it crashed at the end of the week, I just turned it off ;)). 256 MB PC-3200 RAM Value Select by Corsair and a WD drive. It has integrated graphics with an expandable AGP port as well. It's a wonderful functionable board in my opinion.

-J.
 
Looks like a wrap. Unless I'm forgetting something?

Oh, modem! Fortunately nobody needs a modem right now, but somebody might down the road. Any suggestions?

Here's what we got so far:

Mobo: MSI K7N2GM-L
Proc: AMD Athlon XP 2700+
RAM: 2x256MB PC3200 (512MB total)
Onboard video, lan, sound
HD: Maxtor® 80GB Ultra ATA/133 Internal Hard Drive, 7200 RPM
Optical: Lite-ON LTR-52327S 52x CD-RW
Case: Antec SLK1600
Speakers: Logitech X-230 2.1 Black Speaker System -OEM
Monitor: IBM / 17-Inch / 1280 x 1024 / Black / Off-Lease CRT Monitor
Mouse: Logitech MX310 Optical Mouse USB/ PS/2 -RETAIL
Keyboard: generic
Floppy: generic
OS: XP Home OEM

Labor: $60

I always get the feeling I'm forgetting something when I do a bid - and usually I am.
 
FYI, if you go to Ars homepage and click on the Guides link at the top, it will take you to the current system guides.

Here are a few recommendations if you're still interested. I didn't check the colors but they are probably black, sorry. I haven't check some of these prices for a few weeks so they may be a tad different:

*UPDATED* I made some changes after checking current prices

MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR nForce2 Ultra 400 Athlon(XP)/Duron/Sempron SktA DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free 2nd Day*** 266/333/400FSB, ATA/133, AGP 8X, 3DDR DIMM, 5PCI, USB, Audio, LAN, RAID/SATA
zipzoomfly $60

AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.833GHz, Socket A Processor - Retail
$85 newegg

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail
$69 newegg.com

APOLLO ATI RADEON 9200SE 64MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, "Devil Monster 3
$38 Newegg.com

Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
$57 zipzoomfly

NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive ND-3520A
$67 newegg.com

Viewsonic G71f+
$172 Newegg

Antec Black with 350W PS
$91 zipzoomfly.com
 
Hadn't considered filters. Sooner or later, the box will have to be brought in for servicing (virus, whatever), and I keep an air compressor there. Furnace filters + duct tape might work, but is too much like work. Any ideas in particular?

I'd check out that MSI on zipzoomfly, except their search engine doesn't seem to admit its existance. Got a link?
 
crazyeddie said:
Hadn't considered filters. Sooner or later, the box will have to be brought in for servicing (virus, whatever), and I keep an air compressor there. Furnace filters + duct tape might work, but is too much like work. Any ideas in particular?

I'd check out that MSI on zipzoomfly, except their search engine doesn't seem to admit its existance. Got a link?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241151 <----link to ZipZoomFly MSI.

As for filters, if they are going to be bringing it in from time to time, then I wouldn't worry about it. But if you want for future reference.....fancy as you need it. OR when I am building a computer for a family member and I know they aren't going to open it until I remind them to clean it out....I just cut some pantyhose and use a rubberband to hold it around the fan. Ghetto, but it works.
 
Made some updates to my own 'ultimate budget machine', posted above, after checking prices. This is a list I update every month or so, that I give to people who ask for recommendations for a good low budget machine. They are my personal choices, not necessarily the best and definitely not the cheapest. I try to keep the price under $500 not including monitor, software and peripherals.
 
Back
Top