updated to 15.7.1 now monitors won't wake from sleep

Ruachta

n00b
Yesterday morning I updated my desktop to 15.7.1 (280x) and went to work as everything seemed to be working well. While at work I updated my work machine to 15.7.1 (260x) as well. I rebooted both PC's after the updates.

When I got home from work yesterday the monitors would not wake up. Playing with the input selection brought it back up. I allowed it to fall asleep again and same thing happened only now I could not get the monitors to wake without rebooting the PC. This morning when I got to work I had the same issue with the monitors not waking, and requiring a reboot of the PC to bring it back up.

Both setups are dual monitor with one on Displayport and one on HDMI all 1440p monitors.

Anyone else noticing this issue with this driver set? Or have a solution to attempt?

When I get home I will try to revert the drivers back to an old version and see if it resolves it. But since this started on both PC's after the driver update, I am going to start pointing fingers without absolute certainty.

i also had an issue with a dp. i would see the bios, win circle, but when win loaded it would go black. switching to dvi i would see that there was a cat dp error. i did a full uninstall of all amd software and reinstalled. since then i havent had an issue.

Playing with the input selection brought it back up. I allowed it to fall asleep again and same thing happened only now I could not get the monitors to wake without rebooting the PC.

What do you mean by input selection? Were you switching inputs on the monitor or did you change plugs at the gpu? I've been having a similar issue lately (comp goes idle, come back and monitor won't wake, input devices/sound are ok, started around the driver upgrade) and I get my monitor to respond again by reconnecting it at the gpu. From time to time I'll have to reboot, but reconnecting it in the same plug usually works.

What do you mean by input selection? Were you switching inputs on the monitor or did you change plugs at the gpu? I've been having a similar issue lately (comp goes idle, come back and monitor won't wake, input devices/sound are ok, started around the driver upgrade) and I get my monitor to respond again by reconnecting it at the gpu. From time to time I'll have to reboot, but reconnecting it in the same plug usually works.

Switching inputs on the monitor not physical connections.

the devcon restart is a nice option. But both monitors stay asleep. So no way to enter the command. I guess I could bind it to a "G" key and try. Might do that later tonight.

the devcon restart is a nice option. But both monitors stay asleep. So no way to enter the command. I guess I could bind it to a "G" key and try. Might do that later tonight.

Ah yes, I did put that in a batch file that I type in blind (15.7.1 blanks my screens when I switch to eyefinity)

Thanks for posting this. Happens to me with my 290X - even after upgrading to Windows 10. Grabbing the latest driver (looks like a recently posted 15.7.1 revision?) and installing that to see if it helps.

EDIT: still happening. Even did a fresh install of Win10 with the latest driver. Frustrating. I don't have macros on my keyboard so I basically have to reset my box every time. :-/

EDIT2: running Windows 10 Pro - so I just enabled Remote Desktop connections on the 290X box so I can remote in and hit ALT - F4 to get to a reboot option should the display go away again. Cleaner than a hard reset, at least. :)

EDIT3: tried my Remote Desktop trick - box is not even on the network - it's crashed. So, I think my problem is something else. Carry on folks! Sorry.

Last edited:
I have not found a permanent solution. But cntrl-alt-del does seem to wake it up every time I need it, this is in windows 7.

For me on win 10.......it does appear to take about 10 seconds to wake up where as in the past i don't remember it taking that long. So is it the driver, or win 10? Only thing for sure is it IS taking longer to turn back on...Almost had me wondering if something was wrong lol. but no everything fine as usual :D

For me on win 10.......it does appear to take about 10 seconds to wake up where as in the past i don't remember it taking that long. So is it the driver, or win 10? Only thing for sure is it IS taking longer to turn back on...Almost had me wondering if something was wrong lol. but no everything fine as usual :D

Not related to time in my case. Doesn't wake unless I ctrl-alt-del.

Back