Updated Shopping List...Do you approve?

drew_3258

n00b
Here is an updated version of my BUDGETED shopping list based on the e4300 proc and G33 mobo:

*(I will be upgrading proc and possibly memory in the fall when the quads price drops significantly. Also I will most likely not be overclocking anything at first, so I will need to make sure this proc works ok with the memory I have selected, because I would really like to keep that combo deal from newegg. )

(((Also I need to know if anyone recommends a slot/VGA cooler that will fit with this setup?)))

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - 141.32

Case -

Ultra Micro Fly SX6 Silver Micro-ATX Case with Front USB, FireWire, Audio Ports, Clear Side - 71.99 www.zipzoomfly.com

PSU -

ST50EF-PLUS Short Cable Edition - 88.16 www.deadeyedata.com

HARD DISK -

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM - 115.58 - www.clubit.com

Heat Sink -

Zalman CNPS7500-Cu - 36.99- www.directron.com

Proc -

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail - 114 - wwww.zipzoomfly.com

combo deal www.newegg.com =

VIDEO -

BFG Tech BFGR7950256GTOCE GeForce 7950GT

MEMORY -

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
(How will this memory work with my e4300? Will I be able to run the fsb at 800?)

mem+vid = 294.98 + 85 dollar rebate = 209 after rebate
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

794.45 grand total

I appreciate all of your help so much, this is exactly why I am a proud member of hardforum, you guys are great! I will mos def keep you updated on the build as time goes on! :eek:

Why not keep the x1950 Pro you have for a graphics card? A 7950GT isn't that much faster and if your not going to use that computer for gaming anymore you can just get an el cheapo graphics card for it.

Why not keep the x1950 Pro you have for a graphics card? A 7950GT isn't that much faster and if your not going to use that computer for gaming anymore you can just get an el cheapo graphics card for it.

Because I no longer have that card and it was AGP nontheless...

hi,

The hd Samsung HD501LJ is better, low noise and low heat.
The second thing is the memory, with the new bios for ga-ds2r maybe is not necesary a expensive ddr2 with ratio 1:1?

hi,

The hd Samsung HD501LJ is better, low noise and low heat.
The second thing is the memory, with the new bios for ga-ds2r maybe is not necesary a expensive ddr2 with ratio 1:1?

Can anyone confirm this? ? ? ? ?????????????

I originally had the HD501LJ on my list, and I had heard it was more quiet than the seagate, but it isn't quite as fast. This is something I am still looking into.

I'm not sure whatexactly you mean about the memory.

In the other post report that gigabyte have new bios F4a, that it have fsb:mem ratio available 1:1, but only with 1066fsb proc. If the Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) for 209$ is not a micron dh9 (I don't know really), It is not necesary when you can buy something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211174 or other, and buy a 6320 with ratios 1:1 for the same money, only my opinion, but I will wait for opinions about this.

sorry my english

In the other post report that gigabyte have new bios F4a, that it have fsb:mem ratio available 1:1, but only with 1066fsb proc. If the Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) for 209$ is not a micron dh9 (I don't know really), It is not necesary when you can buy something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211174 or other, and buy a 6320 with ratios 1:1 for the same money, only my opinion, but I will wait for opinions about this.

sorry my english

I think I understand what you are saying. But that memory I listed is not actually 209, thats the price of the memory and video card together after rebates.

In order for me to get the 1033 fsb, I would need at least a 6300 (correct me if I'm wrong) and the higher end memory that supports it.

So because this is a budget ($800-850) system, I am choosing the lower end cpu until the price drops in the fall, unless I can figure out a way to configure this setup with a 1033 fsb proc (e6300 I believe is the lowest) and memory to support it, PLUS a video card that is decent enough for video editing/games and still make my budget.

Does anyone know if my selected memory will support 1033 fsb if I went with a 6300?

PSU -

ST50EF-PLUS Short Cable Edition - $84.95 http://www.sffstore.com

Is the SX6 even stocked at ZZF? I didn't see it. I also have it available at SFFStore :)

Ok ending shameless plug

LOL, very good businessman indeed...I am familiar with sffclub.com, but is that price with the shipping included?

Yes the sx6 is stocked I checked this morning...

I was wrong with the money.

Well, at this moment the speed without/with overclock are with bios F4a (ds2r):

procesor fsb 800: fsb proc. 200 * (3.33 or 4) = ddr2 667 or 800.
fsb proc. 300 * 3.33 = ddr2 1000
fsb proc. 320 * 3.33 = ddr2 1066 (maybe maximum with the vcore 2.2vmem)

procesor fsb 1066 (e6300, e6320...), ratio memory:
fsb proc. 266 * (2, 2,5...) = ddr2 533 (oficially not support), ddr2 667...
fsb proc. 333 * (2, 2.5...) = ddr2 667, ddr2 833 (a little oc)...
fsb proc. 400 * 2 = ddr2 800

........you can apply this rules for all 1066 proc. and know the memory fsb that you need.

intel with 1333 fsb (original fsb proc. 333) I don't know now that ratios have with this alpha bios release today.

Isn't the Q6600 supposed to drop to $260 the third week in July? Can you wait until then?

[LYL]Homer;1031215246 said:
Isn't the Q6600 supposed to drop to $260 the third week in July? Can you wait until then?

Not exactly, that'll be the price to resellers, so we might pay somewhere around $270-$300. Furthermore, putting a Q6600 in a mATX case will more than likely cause a giant wildfire. Those things run really hot, even with good air/water cooling in regular ATX cases. Imagine how hot it would be in an mATX case. And more importantly, does one really need a quad core? I see mention of video editing which might justify the purchase of a quad, but still, you have to keep in mind this is a budget build.

Can anyone confirm this? ? ? ? ?????????????

I originally had the HD501LJ on my list, and I had heard it was more quiet than the seagate, but it isn't quite as fast. This is something I am still looking into.

I'm not sure whatexactly you mean about the memory.

The Seagates are quiet so not sure how the Samsung could be more quiet. I havent read anything about the Samsungs. Just learned recently they even made hard drives so if it were me I'd go with something proven. But thats just me. And yeah, the 7200.10 drives are fast. Next best thing to a Raptor IMHO.

That Seagate drive is VERY noisy. Read the reviews at newegg and there are endless complaints about it. I have one and while the spindle motor is silent, the raspy seeks are louder than any drive I have heard in my life. And if you run Vista, it is always chugging away at the drive doing something or another so there is just never much peace and quiet. If you put your box under a desk it helps a lot though. For a desktop I would avoid this drive due to noise.

That Seagate drive is VERY noisy. Read the reviews at newegg and there are endless complaints about it. I have one and while the spindle motor is silent, the raspy seeks are louder than any drive I have heard in my life. And if you run Vista, it is always chugging away at the drive doing something or another so there is just never much peace and quiet. If you put your box under a desk it helps a lot though. For a desktop I would avoid this drive due to noise.

I have one (250Gb version) and its quiet so I'm going by my own experiences. Running XP Pro on it though so maybe that makes a difference?

Get the G.Skill PC2-6400 "HZ" memory.

It's all Micron D9GMH. I have 4 sticks on a P5B I'm about to move over to the Gigabyte board (and microfly!) and I wouldn't part with them for anything.

Back