Updated Inexpensive WC parts list?

asguitarplaya

Limp Gawd
So I'm searching the forum for a decent parts list, but everything I find is a few years dated.
Most parts they talk about are discontinued.
So for those WC guru's out there. What are some good yet budget friendly WCing parts
That noob can start with.
I want to have two loops, (GPU and CPU) I understand that with have two loops I would need two pumps and rads. More components means more money.
But I'm just asking to see if there are any under rated brand/parts out there that would get the job done and are cost effective.

With one GPU and one CPU you don't need two loops. Even with two video cards it's hard to justify two loops. Two loops will require a very large case that has ample radiator mounting options (Switch 810 probably being the cheapest option).

The easiest way to get into water is to buy one of the good kits and then expand on it.
The XSPC kits which include the Raystorm CPU block and D5 vario pump are good. Various radiator sizes are available so it depends on your case (your case has fairly limited water capability).

As for your GPU, blocks are rather limited at the moment, but HeatKiller makes a good block for the 660ti reference card.

Are you planning on using the CM 430 case? Or were you going to get something else?

First off, be patient. The watercooling subforum is not very active, it can take up to half a day before you get a response.

Do single loop. There is absolutely no point in doing two loops, and can even be detrimental to overall performance.

The Raystorm/D5 kits are good for the price. There really aren't any "cheap" or "underrated" parts out there that offer better price/performance. Watercooling is not a cheap hobby. If you can't afford to do it right now, wait until you have the funds to do so, otherwise you will regret it.

I was told to stay away from kits for some reason.
Honestly I thought that was the best way to get into liquid cooling, but I guess people say other wise?

Yes I will be using my cm 430 case. I modded the hell out of it, it was only 25$ so it was open to mods lol.

With one GPU and one CPU you don't need two loops. Even with two video cards it's hard to justify two loops. Two loops will require a very large case that has ample radiator mounting options (Switch 810 probably being the cheapest option).

The easiest way to get into water is to buy one of the good kits and then expand on it.
The XSPC kits which include the Raystorm CPU block and D5 vario pump are good. Various radiator sizes are available so it depends on your case (your case has fairly limited water capability).

As for your GPU, blocks are rather limited at the moment, but HeatKiller makes a good block for the 660ti reference card.

Are you planning on using the CM 430 case? Or were you going to get something else?

My mistake, just saw that my post had a handful of views but no responses.
Anyway I have enough money to buy top brand parts, but since I'm new I wasn't sure if there were any not so big names brands that manufacture parts just as good as those top name brands.

Also thanks for the tip on the single loop.
If cooling my GPU and CPU would multiple rads be nessesary and how big should the res be?
Single bay or dual bay? (I like the hidden look of the bay reservoirs)

First off, be patient. The watercooling subforum is not very active, it can take up to half a day before you get a response.

Do single loop. There is absolutely no point in doing two loops, and can even be detrimental to overall performance.

The Raystorm/D5 kits are good for the price. There really aren't any "cheap" or "underrated" parts out there that offer better price/performance. Watercooling is not a cheap hobby. If you can't afford to do it right now, wait until you have the funds to do so, otherwise you will regret it.

The number of radiators isn't important, it's the amount of surface area. Typical rule of thumb is 1x120 surface area for each major heat source. Since you're doing a CPU + GPU loop, that means a minimum of two 1x120 radiators or a single 2x120 radiator. Of course, more is better, but there is a point of diminishing returns.

Reservoir size does not matter. It's there to keep your pump fed with water, which can burn out if run in air for too long. A larger reservoir means you can go longer between refills, but that's about it.

There are some kits that are bad, and some kits that are good. The XSPC Raystorm/D5 kits are made of high quality components, and is very competitively priced. The XSPC Rasa 750 has a very mediocre pump that is prone to premature failures. Some kits are overpriced for what they are. Kits also don't have the flexibility of putting together your own components.

Anyways, as with anything, brand doesn't matter, except for EK. Avoid EK like the plague. I don't care if they make some of the best watercooling hardware out there, their company ethics are crap. Your best bet is to look up reviews of individual components, and see which ones you prefer.

Big ups for tip!!
I was planning on having 2 single 120mm rads.
My case has dual 120mm fittings but the space is to big between fans.

I will definitely look back into those kits, XSPC were parts I was looking into anyway. As well as swift tech.

The number of radiators isn't important, it's the amount of surface area. Typical rule of thumb is 1x120 surface area for each major heat source. Since you're doing a CPU + GPU loop, that means a minimum of two 1x120 radiators or a single 2x120 radiator. Of course, more is better, but there is a point of diminishing returns.

Reservoir size does not matter. It's there to keep your pump fed with water, which can burn out if run in air for too long. A larger reservoir means you can go longer between refills, but that's about it.

There are some kits that are bad, and some kits that are good. The XSPC Raystorm/D5 kits are made of high quality components, and is very competitively priced. The XSPC Rasa 750 has a very mediocre pump that is prone to premature failures. Some kits are overpriced for what they are. Kits also don't have the flexibility of putting together your own components.

Anyways, as with anything, brand doesn't matter, except for EK. Avoid EK like the plague. I don't care if they make some of the best watercooling hardware out there, their company ethics are crap. Your best bet is to look up reviews of individual components, and see which ones you prefer.

Back