Update for AMD Freesync & Crossfire Support

Warsam71

AMD Community Manager
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share with you the below update:

“AMD fans have been outspoken about their love for the smooth gameplay of AMD FreeSync™ technology, and have understandably been excited about the prospect of using compatible monitors with the incredible performance of an AMD CrossFire™ configuration.
After vigorous QA testing, however, it’s now clear to us that support for AMD FreeSync™ monitors on a multi-GPU system is not quite ready for release.
As it is our ultimate goal to give AMD customers an ideal experience when using our products, we must announce a delay of the AMD Catalyst™ driver that would offer this support. We will continue to develop and test this solution in accordance with our stringent quality standards, and we will provide another update when it is ready for release”

Source: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=186533&enterthread=y

Thanks for the update.

Do the engineers have an idea yet of how DirectX 12 will affect dynamic refresh systems, if at all? If so, can they disclose any information about it at this point?

On the NVIDIA side there is apparently an issue with the PG278Q where they force G-Sync on all the time for compatibility with Windows 10, so I'm just curious if there is a universal bump in the road that everyone is facing.

Any chance of them allowing advanced users to turn on FreeSync without having to own a compatible monitor? Just to experiment. For science.

InB4 Nvidia trolls be themselves.

But seriously, I would rather AMD get it right than get it quick.

uh oh...

there were a bunch of people on OCUK who bought FS monitors expecting xfire drivers were iminent.

I dont run xfire, so i could care less, but im holding off till they get the range down to 30fps.

When has AMD ever delivered on any of their "imminent" promises?
I'm not being harsh, just realistic. Everything takes longer than anticipated.

uh oh...

there were a bunch of people on OCUK who bought FS monitors expecting xfire drivers were iminent.

I dont run xfire, so i could care less, but im holding off till they get the range down to 30fps.

Maybe this will be valuable lesson for them

To be fair, it took Nvidia a while to add SLI support for Gsync as well.

It was supposed to be released in Omega "Phase 2", Jan/Feb 2015.
There's an AMD post around here somewhere about it being delayed.

It's already possible with the modified windows 10 drivers.

All of a sudden having dedicated hardware in the monitor to talk to the GPUs doesn't seem like such a bad idea... :p

All of a sudden having dedicated hardware in the monitor to talk to the GPUs doesn't seem like such a bad idea... :p

The most clueless comment i have read this year thus far.
Dedicated hardware in the monitor has nothing to do with multi GPU support.

The most clueless comment i have read this year thus far.
Dedicated hardware in the monitor has nothing to do with multi GPU support.

Damn someone is mad. Well, it was nice having my setup work out of the box, despite paying the premium.

And not that having dedicated hardware ever makes anything easier (even if you can ditch it later on as the market gains wider support). NV will release an updated model at the same $150 premium that supports variable ULMB, while AMD takes over a year to respond trying to do it through it solely through the drivers and waiting for monitor manufacturers to support it. Just like they tried with frame pacing for a while. AMD is doing a great job making free seem like crap.

Last edited:
Damn someone is mad. Well, it was nice having my setup work out of the box, despite paying the premium.

And not that having dedicated hardware ever makes anything easier (even if you can ditch it later on as the market gains wider support). NV will release an updated model at the same $150 premium that supports variable ULMB, while AMD takes over a year to respond trying to do it through it solely through the drivers and waiting for monitor manufacturers to support it. Just like they tried with frame pacing for a while. AMD is doing a great job making free seem like crap.

Could have sworn that SLi was broken with GSYNC for the longest time. It's new technology and DX12 is coming in July. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this. Plus it does work for the 7000 series in Win 10 according to reports. Which officially launches in July.

Having a $150 board in your monitor doesn't seem very exciting to me unless it gives tangible benefits. So far GSYNC has one checkbox more than FreeSync, and AMD said that they are working on a solution for that also.

Its nothing to do with mad and all to do with facts and you were wrong period and multi GPU did not work out of the box for Gsync either so you are wrong again when it comes to multi GPU support.

The thread is about a specific aspect, so dont try to divert it to other aspects which already been discussed because you were wrong on the aspect of multi GPU.

Last edited:
You dont notice it in normal gaming, it was just a specific demo that you could see it.

You dont notice it in normal gaming, it was just a specific demo that you could see it.

I wonder how many would not notice it if they had one properly working 144Hz monitor on one side and freesync "working" monitor on the other side ;)

As TFTcentral measured on benq without overdrive you are getting speed similar to 60Hz IPS when you are supposed to have it twice as fast in pixel transition times.

But I guess if people are ok with paying 500 pounds for screen that isn't faster than classic IPS while getting colors and view angles of TN then more power to them :D

Gsync always had sli support, when did it not? Anyway I'm not surprised, AMD driver support is often lacking but it's fine for a second tier value brand. If you want things to work, pay extra and get nvidia.

Last edited:
Gsync always had sli support, when did it not?

Gsync and SLI was not working as intended out of the box and there are a huge amount of posts around the web to back that up and its still an issue for many.

The thing is though, does gsync AND SLI not have problems with micro stuttering still? I thought they had fixed it a few months ago but I am still seeing people reporting micro-stutter with gsync and sli, even gregster posted on MLG about it yesterday:

http://forums.midlifegamers.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2074

zgtyz0V.png

G-SYNC and SLI seem to be incompatible: stuttering and lagging

Hi.
First of all, I apologize if my grammar is not that perfect, but this is not my mother language.
I'm a fresh owner of the brand new Asus ROG Swift PG278Q. I did several tests on different games, and as of result, I saw that G-Sync runs flawlessly only disabling SLI on Control Panel, while playing on multi-gpu produces some annoying, constant stuttering. This happens even if the single card generates way less FPS than multi-gpu, of course. I also changed several sets of drivers, both official and beta versions: situation unchanged. Then I removed one of my three cards for testing. Situation was slightly better, but still not as good as single card where actually G-Sync works perfect. Do you think it's just a young drivers problem?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...eem-to-be-incompatible-stuttering-and-lagging

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/770405/gsync-sli-unsmooth-gsync-sli-smooth/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ween-g-sync-and-sli-for-next-driver-releases/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/772591/sli-gsync/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...apears-after-display-sleeps-forced-to-reboot/

Last edited:
Gsync and SLI was not working as intended out of the box and there are a huge amount of posts around the web to back that up and its still an issue for many.

Nonsense, I've had a perfect experience with mine (pg278q). There's always people with issues and most of the time that's PEBKAC. Show me an official review where gsync didn't have sli support, not a bunch of useless links from end users.

Last edited:
Nonsense, I've had a perfect experience with mine (pg278q). There's always people with issues and most of the time that's PEBKAC. Show me an official review where gsync didn't have sli support.

So what if you are not having issues, everyone's setup is different.
And official reviews have a habit of not showing issues when they are following NV review guidelines. 3.5GB anyone.

And even the NV reps on the Official NV forums admit to the issues, so sorry that the world does not revolve around you and your personal experience, and we are done as your bias clouds you from the truth.

So what if you are not having issues, everyone's setup is different.
And official reviews have a habit of not showing issues when they are following NV review guidelines. 3.5GB anyone.

And even the NV reps on the Official NV forums admit to the issues, so sorry that the world does not revolve around you and your personal experience, and we are done as your bias clouds you from the truth.

So in another words, you have zero proof to back up the bs about SLI not working with G-Sync. Thought so.

So in another words, you have zero proof to back up the bs about SLI not working with G-Sync. Thought so.

Your definition of working is clearly of a lower standard.
AMD CF is better than SLI now and maybe AMD dont want to release the CF Freesync driver just for the sake of claiming it works out of the box but with all the SLI issues that Gsync is having.

Your definition of working is clearly of a lower standard.
AMD CF is better than SLI now and maybe AMD dont want to release the CF Freesync driver just for the sake of claiming it works out of the box but with all the SLI issues that Gsync is having.

Every review contradicts what you just wrote. In fact, it's idiotic to look for forums where people have technical issues and try to gauge whether or not a product is functioning and supported because of a few end users having issues. If that were the case, then AMD would be in really big trouble. FreeSync is turning out to be quite a bust with the lack of Crossfire drivers and blurring/ghosting. To make matters worse, the recent Asus 144 Hz panel doesn't even achieve 144 Hz with FreeSync enabled. I hear there are similar reports with a BenQ equivalent as well.

Every review contradicts what you just wrote. In fact, it's idiotic to look for forums where people have technical issues and try to gauge whether or not a product is functioning and supported because of a few end users having issues. If that were the case, then AMD would be in really big trouble. FreeSync is turning out to be quite a bust with the lack of Crossfire drivers and blurring/ghosting. To make matters worse, the recent Asus 144 Hz panel doesn't even achieve 144 Hz with FreeSync enabled. I hear there are similar reports with a BenQ equivalent as well.

We already know the issues of freesync, its the denial of issue of Gsync that is the point and it nearly always takes users to flush out issues as i have said especially when it comes to NV as many issues do not come to light in the reviews so of course the reviews are going to contradict users and the official NV reps findings ;)

We already know the issues of freesync, its the denial of issue of Gsync that is the point and it nearly always takes users to flush out issues as i have said especially when it comes to NV as many issues do not come to light in the reviews so of course the reviews are going to contradict users and the official NV reps findings ;)

You're shifting goal posts and just making stuff up at this point. The original question is, when did G-Sync not support SLI? You answered with a bunch of pointless links of users having "issues".

If you want to know the issues of GSYNC, I would go to a website called hardforum and read the Nvidia section. The users in there are the ones that I trust to tell the truth about their experience with GSYNC. Some of them were / are having issues with it working with SLi. I have no intention of rereading every post from when GSYNC launched until now to figure out "who done it." But if you frequented that section of the website then you would know that it was not all peachy at launch. Just like all other cutting edge technologies like FREESYNC.

Also you can Google.

If you want to know the issues of GSYNC, I would go to a website called hardforum and read the Nvidia section. The users in there are the ones that I trust to tell the truth about their experience with GSYNC. Some of them were / are having issues with it working with SLi. I have no intention of rereading every post from when GSYNC launched until now to figure out "who done it." But if you frequented that section of the website then you would know that it was not all peachy at launch. Just like all other cutting edge technologies like FREESYNC.

So now it's gone from, "GSync didn't have SLI support" to "welp, some users on some forums had issues". Man the back-pedalling here is pretty funny but typical of AMD fans. And for the record, I actually asked because I was unsure if that ever was the case and after googling, I couldn't find anything to support it. FreeSync isn't cutting edge, it's a "me too" checkbox from AMD that is turning out to be a turd.

Last edited:
You're shifting goal posts and just making stuff up at this point. The original question is, when did G-Sync not support SLI? You answered with a bunch of pointless links of users having "issues".

And i have answered it did not work as intended out of the box so for most users so most users disabled it.

Just like i dont not consider a game as having SLI/CF support if it does not scale or has major issues in the majority of cases and claiming support just because Profile exists when it practically useless.

This thread went downhill quick.

I really feel like AMD needs to get back to basics. Someone saying CF is better than SLI is hilarious when it takes AMD months to release drivers. AMD did get praise at one time for CF, but lately they've been bashed. Given the track record with crossfire I would have had low confidence free sync would be perfect out of the box.

Free sync... Anyone buying it now is an early adopter or "beta tester". Not expecting to get shafted is hilarious.

Also you can Google.

He clearly does not know how to use Google if he cant find anything LOL.

He is in denial of everything so just leave him to it.

And i have answered it did not work as intended out of the box so for most users so most users disabled it.

You didn't answer jack, you just posted some links to some end users experiencing system issues. Where do you get "most" from? Do you have insider statistics to back up that assertion? Any credible reviews that state as much? Don't worry, I already know the answer.

Just like i dont not consider a game as having SLI/CF support if it does not scale or has major issues in the majority of cases and claiming support just because Profile exists when it practically useless.

Yeah and that has nothing to do with SLI support for G-Sync but thanks for playing.

I really feel like AMD needs to get back to basics. Someone saying CF is better than SLI is hilarious when it takes AMD months to release drivers. AMD did get praise at one time for CF, but lately they've been bashed. Given the track record with crossfire I would have had low confidence free sync would be perfect out of the box.

Free sync... Anyone buying it now is an early adopter or "beta tester". Not expecting to get shafted is hilarious.

It's just funny how they started pointing the finger at the lack of SLI support for G-Sync and when they get called out on it, they make up some other nonsensical b.s. AMD Crossfire is a victim of AMD's driver quality. Review sites are catching on to this fact too when recommending hardware: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-grand-theft-auto-5

At this point, it's no real secret that Nvidia's driver eats up less processor time than the AMD equivalent - something that's crucially important on lower-end PCs with less capable CPUs. This is important. AMD's Radeon R9 270X is an excellent card - almost 40 per cent more powerful in GTA 5 than the GTX 750 Ti in a quad-core system, and only a few pounds more expensive than the 750 Ti when it's on sale. However, on a dual-core Core i3 system, the stutter is extreme and minimum frame-rate isn't just lower than the GTX 750 Ti, it's lower than the R7 260X too. AMD makes some excellent hardware, but until the DX11 driver issue is resolved, we can only recommend Nvidia cards for PCs with lower-end CPUs.

It is the same old AMD story with FreeSync, it was hyped to be the answer to G-Sync and now we're seeing it falls way short.

Last edited:

I really feel like AMD needs to get back to basics. Someone saying CF is better than SLI is hilarious when it takes AMD months to release drivers. AMD did get praise at one time for CF, but lately they've been bashed.

Yes CF is smoother than SLI, no one said anything about driver updates.

You didn't answer jack, you just posted some links to some end users experiencing system issues. Where do you get "most" from? Do you have insider statistics to back up that assertion? Any credible reviews that state as much? Don't worry, I already know the answer.

Yeah and that has nothing to do with SLI support for G-Sync but thanks for playing.

Seeing as i have known some of the users for many years yes they are more credible than you.

And yes you clearly dont understand what an analogy is.

Goodday :D

I agree. I don't have time to argue with ignorance whether it is the "ostrich with the head in the sand syndrome" or lack of competence. Better to add them to the "flamboyant fanboy" ignore list.

Went down hill quick. O well someone from nvidia section has to do their job, lol!

Back