Upcoming PCI 3.0 boards?

Zatos

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to buy a new board next month. It seems difficult to really locate any info on upcoming releases for motherboards. There are only 6 PCI 3.0 boards (Intel) on Newegg. I was hoping to have more selection!

Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.

Info is starting to leak out and more will come in October. We may see X79 in mid to late November. That's where the action will be! It all comes down to PCIe and the mainstream boards on the market now, even those packaged as enthusiast models just don't have the PCIe lanes to make all of these great innovations work at the same time or at their maximum speeds.

Oh, I guess I should have specified that I am looking at getting a LGA1155 board. I'm not sure what to make of the other thread regarding the incompatibility with Ivy Bridge even though they are listed as being compatible.

Is there are certain time of year when motherboards are traditionally released? I've never really paid attention to that sort of thing.

Just want to make sure I get something that will last a while, and don't want to buy something if something better is literally right around the corner.

PCIe 3.0 isn't coming to 1155 until Ivy Bridge, so it's going to be hit or miss on whether boards out now will support it (if you drop an IB processor in the board - SB never will). Widespread availability might not come until IB is closer to release, so next spring.

PCIe 3.0 isn't coming to 1155 until Ivy Bridge, so it's going to be hit or miss on whether boards out now will support it (if you drop an IB processor in the board - SB never will). Widespread availability might not come until IB is closer to release, so next spring.

Some use a PLX switch chip to give you 16 3.0 lanes out of 16 2.0 lanes, like NF200 does but with 32 2.0 from 16 2.0.

Yes, I'm aware PCI 3.0 will not work on SB. Some boards are advertising it as a feature for when IB comes out. Since I'm about to drop some cash on a new MB, and seeing as I only upgrade every 2-3 years, I thought it would be best to be future proofed as much as possible.

Some use a PLX switch chip to give you 16 3.0 lanes out of 16 2.0 lanes, like NF200 does but with 32 2.0 from 16 2.0.

Will PCI 2.0 work differently on these boards? Some of the specs on Newegg were somewhat confusing, listing PCI 2.0 @x4

Yes, I'm aware PCI 3.0 will not work on SB. Some boards are advertising it as a feature for when IB comes out. Since I'm about to drop some cash on a new MB, and seeing as I only upgrade every 2-3 years, I thought it would be best to be future proofed as much as possible.

Personally, I wouldn't because you never know how those implementations will work out in the real world when IB does get released. If the board you want has PCIe 3.0 support, that's fine, but I wouldn't choose a board based on its support for a standard that isn't actually available yet.

for Cougar Point (p67) and z68 for that matter, if a IB proc is dropped in, and the switches on the mobo support 3.0, there wont be much advantage as all youll get is x8 3.0 on your x16 2.0 slots.

basiccaly it will be half speed, if it works at all..

you might gain a small incremental speed bump due to pcie 3.0 more efficient protocol overhead, but chances are you wont notice it. GPU texture transfers....

The gfx companies have yet to saturate 2.0/2.1 bus, so most wont switch to 3.0 untill they have to,

also, the NF200 only has 2.0/2.1 trancievers, so those boards probobly wont be able to use it unless you can bypass it and go around its trancievers.

Last edited:
Will PCI 2.0 work differently on these boards? Some of the specs on Newegg were somewhat confusing, listing PCI 2.0 @x4

Works the same as always with PCIe 2.0.

The PCIe 2.0 @ x4 is the slot with lanes off the southbridge. The southbridge has 6 or 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes; the motherboard uses some for audio, Ethernet, USB 3.0, SATA, etc. Most give you an x4 slot running at x1 with the option of disabling USB 3.0 and/or SATA 6Gb/s to turn it to x4.

Back