Upcoming issue of PC Gamer claims new Hitman "is a mess"

This is the same person that rated Max Payne 3 a 52/100, remember Q-BZ?

This guy is a fucking joke

Is Nixxes doing this port? If so the PC copy will be amazing.

Gamespot review reveals bullet-time, the mark+execute mechanic from Splinter Cell Conviction, kill-an-enemy-to-get-all-your-health-back mechanic, scripted level sequences, bad AI, and a number of pre-determined mission outcomes and scripted assassinations. Yeah, sounds like a brilliant Hitman game...

But it's okay. Gamespot isn't credible. The site has obviously doctored the footage backing up the review's claims.

Video from TB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dluMZCa5wIk&feature=g-u-u (haven't watched it yet, I'll comment on it when I do)

I didn't watch the Gamestop review, did he say what difficulty he was playing on? I wonder how the rnrmy AI scales through the difficulties.

Normal difficulty. He strongly suggested series veterans should play on the harder difficulty levels, but didn't go into any changes between them.

Gamespot review reveals bullet-time, the mark+execute mechanic from Splinter Cell Conviction, kill-an-enemy-to-get-all-your-health-back mechanic, scripted level sequences, bad AI, and a number of pre-determined mission outcomes and scripted assassinations. Yeah, sounds like a brilliant Hitman game...

But it's okay. Gamespot isn't credible. The site has obviously doctored the footage backing up the review's claims.

The Bullet Time and 'Kill enemy to get health back' mechanics were present in Blood Money when 47 was near death. Is it the same in this one?

Performance and control issues are inexcusable IMO. TBH I was planning to play this on my HTPC, so I don't mind if it's optimized more for an Xbox360 controller. It does seem strange that a game with such strong roots with the PC platform would suddenly become so console-centric that it barely plays well on the PC.

I pre-ordered and thought the Sniper Challenge looked pretty good. Sure, I didn't particularly dig all of the post-processing they were using, but that just seems to be the nature of most games these days. The game performed really well, but the Sniper Challenge doesn't seem like a good indicator of how the game itself would perform.

interesting

"Apparently, Contracts isn't on Steam because the copyright for the song in "Rendezvouz in Rotterdam" wasn't able to be renewed"

can't believe they couldn't come to some sort of agreement over a song :confused:

Or rather, how someone wouldn't make a proper contract that didn't expire. That's just insane. Better yet, patch it out of the game. Problem solved.

If there is one game journalism site I think most know can be trusted, it's RPS, and here's a quote from the end:

"If this were the first Hitman game I’d played, I wouldn’t want to play another..."

Article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/18/wot-i-think-hitman-absolution/.

I don't think I'd dismiss what PC Gamer had to say, given the reaction from RPS which, while pointing out fairly the positive, is 90% negative in regards to just about everything the game offers.

Sure, it's just one, or ten, people's opinions who write reviews. But, I think there's legitimacy to the negative feedback the game is receiving.

I had a gut feeling to cancel my pre-order about a week before the PCG review hit, then saw this RPS feature just now. I don't regret cancelling, and I've been a huge Hitman fan since the inception of the series.

I took my refunded money and pre-order Far Cry 3 instead, which looks to be far more worth the money, to say the least.

Sounds credible to me, that game was a fucking atrocity.

You must have played a much different alpha version of Max Payne 3 then the one I did.

Is Nixxes doing this port? If so the PC copy will be amazing.

That's some good news.

I seriously don't know how you guys DIDN'T see this coming.

I did. I just didn't want to believe it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3a4stNaf4

^^ If that isn't a fake...it's an appalling video. QTE in a Hitman game? Are you kidding me?

Silent Assasin? The fart I just popped in my chair was silent and deadly.

That's just flat out utter bullshit. That video is almost enough to make me walk away from this thing right now.

This is the same person that rated Max Payne 3 a 52/100, remember Q-BZ?

This guy is a fucking joke

Yes, I do. I'm not throwing out the baby with the bath water. ;)

What I'm looking is EVERYTHING we've got thus far and I'm expecting a game for myself that will be "decent-good."

Note: Blood Money is one of my favorite games of all time so that's the standard I'm working with here.

Gamespot review reveals bullet-time, the mark+execute mechanic from Splinter Cell Conviction,

We all knew that. It penalizes you for it, too. I don't have a problem with this. I loved it in SCC.

kill-an-enemy-to-get-all-your-health-back mechanic,
scripted level sequences, bad AI, and a number of pre-determined mission outcomes and scripted assassinations.

This sucks.

Yeah, sounds like a brilliant Hitman game...

No, I think it is what it is. I'm glad I only paid $35 for it thanks to GMG and I quickly got the idea in the last month or so that this wasn't going to be the sequel that Blood Money so badly deserved after SIX FRIGGIN' YEARS, IO.

But let's get real here: IO has made nothing but crap SINCE Blood Money so what can ya do?

I think it's going to be a decent game in its own right that just happens to have Hitman properties in it.

I remember months ago people, including me, were worried that this game was going to be nothing more than a Splinter Cell Conviction clone with Agent 47.

I have this sinking feeling in hindsight we're all going to wish it had been that. SCC is an underrated gem. I hope this game is at least as good as SCC is but I won't lie to you. I'm a huge Hitman fanboy but I'm going in with considerably diminished expectations.

For example, I know won't be my GOTY or on the GOTY shortlist like I'd originally expected. That's gone. It should have been. If it were Blood Money taken to the Next Level like it should have been it would be a sight unseen GOTY lock for me right now. Hands down.

I'm really getting sick and tired of seeing every game series I've ever cared about dumbed down and ruined and I can't even say "Oh, it's the consoles fault!" I know plenty of console gamers that love Hitman that aren't going to be impressed with some of this.

Blood Money was the last real Hitman game. I get that. I've resigned myself to it.

It won't surprise if this game is the last game I see with the name Hitman on it and if it's really going to be this bad then I hope it's the last one so I don't have to watch another Alzheimers like, drawn out death like I've seen with too many other series that I care about.

I've had it.

Last edited:
RPS revealing more of IO's shame:
More Filler Than Killer
The ending threatens a sequel in similar style but also promises something of a blank slate. If this were the first Hitman game I’d played, I wouldn’t want to play another, but there’s just about enough in Absolution’s finer moments to keep the hope alive. Remember though: it’s the hope, not the hitman, that kills you in the end. As it is, I’ve already reinstalled Blood Money as a sort of palate cleanser and I suggest you do the same.

47 is officially dead to me now, R.I.P. another franchise gets put to sleep.

another mediocre review, this time from Eurogamer...

"This is where Absolution is weakest. It stops being about observation, planning and execution and becomes a simple game of hide and seek, and not a brilliant one either. You spend a lot of time crouching behind walls watching the mini-map and using the Instinct view to find gaps in enemy lines or opportunities to subdue and conceal their bodies. This is functionally fine and sometimes fun, but plenty of other games do it better and build more interesting content into the environment around you to keep you interested while you're doing it. Absolution doesn't really do that, and its decision to use manual checkpoints rather than a save system means you spend too much time reloading levels and replaying several minutes of generic stealth scenarios as a result"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-18-hitman-absolution-review

another mediocre review, this time from Eurogamer...

"This is where Absolution is weakest. It stops being about observation, planning and execution and becomes a simple game of hide and seek, and not a brilliant one either. You spend a lot of time crouching behind walls watching the mini-map and using the Instinct view to find gaps in enemy lines or opportunities to subdue and conceal their bodies. This is functionally fine and sometimes fun, but plenty of other games do it better and build more interesting content into the environment around you to keep you interested while you're doing it. Absolution doesn't really do that, and its decision to use manual checkpoints rather than a save system means you spend too much time reloading levels and replaying several minutes of generic stealth scenarios as a result"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-18-hitman-absolution-review

Max difficulty, hardcore purist mode with no handholding options whatsoever is clearly the only way to play this game.

And that manual checkpoint/no save thing is another big loser. No way around it.

Performance and control issues are inexcusable IMO. TBH I was planning to play this on my HTPC, so I don't mind if it's optimized more for an Xbox360 controller. It does seem strange that a game with such strong roots with the PC platform would suddenly become so console-centric that it barely plays well on the PC.

I pre-ordered and thought the Sniper Challenge looked pretty good. Sure, I didn't particularly dig all of the post-processing they were using, but that just seems to be the nature of most games these days. The game performed really well, but the Sniper Challenge doesn't seem like a good indicator of how the game itself would perform.

Apparently the performance issues mentioned in the PC Gamer review were fixed in later review builds.

Max difficulty, hardcore purist mode with no handholding options whatsoever is clearly the only way to play this game.

And that manual checkpoint/no save thing is another big loser. No way around it.

Just like Deus Ex: HR. Anything other than "Give Me Deus Ex" is too easy.

Just like Deus Ex: HR. Anything other than "Give Me Deus Ex" is too easy.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I don't see this game holding a candle to DX:HR barring an amazing surprise. DX:HR and Skyrim were my co GOTY last year.

As you can see: My expectations are way down.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I don't see this game holding a candle to DX:HR barring an amazing surprise. DX:HR and Skyrim were my co GOTY last year.

As you can see: My expectations are way down.

All I'm expecting is to have fun. I was never really expecting it to be as good as Blood Money. IO is nowhere near the company it was back then, Kane & Lynch proved that well enough. Hopefully Thief 4 is good, whenever it actually releases.

Slightly more positive review from Shack News posted today. Apologies if it was posted here already.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76705/hitman-absolution-review-beautiful-contracts

Hitman: Absolution is nearly everything I want from a video game. It's beautiful, big, and an absolute blast to play. While far from perfect, the addictive stealth gameplay of Hitman kept me coming back for more. IO Interactive has crafted a game filled with so many interesting sandboxes to play in, that it's hard not to come back over and over again, long after the credits have rolled.

Slightly more positive review from Shack News posted today. Apologies if it was posted here already.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76705/hitman-absolution-review-beautiful-contracts

Hitman: Absolution is nearly everything I want from a video game. It's beautiful, big, and an absolute blast to play. While far from perfect, the addictive stealth gameplay of Hitman kept me coming back for more. IO Interactive has crafted a game filled with so many interesting sandboxes to play in, that it's hard not to come back over and over again, long after the credits have rolled.

^^ That's all I ask from this thing.

All I'm expecting is to have fun. I was never really expecting it to be as good as Blood Money. IO is nowhere near the company it was back then, Kane & Lynch proved that well enough. Hopefully Thief 4 is good, whenever it actually releases.

Agreed.

All I ask for is.........response from the developer to said bugs via patches. I don't think that is too much to ask for. I purchased it on GMG with the discount, so I don't feel bad about the purchase either way, but I am hoping that the developers are reading these reviews and taking action to address some of the issues that have been brought up.

All I ask for is.........response from the developer to said bugs via patches. I don't think that is too much to ask for. I purchased it on GMG with the discount, so I don't feel bad about the purchase either way, but I am hoping that the developers are reading these reviews and taking action to address some of the issues that have been brought up.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039337195&postcount=139

Square Enix had done very well by the PC as a publisher. I'll be unpleasantly amazed if this thing is a mess at least on the technical side of things.

I'll wait till it hits for less than $10, which shouldn't be long given Square Enix's track record.
Here's another review from Rock Paper Shotgun and it doesn't look good, there's actually a mission
where all 47 has to do is buy a suit, not kill anyone, but just buy a suit while the cutscenes take
care of all the killing...sounds like they really dumbed it down this go around....

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/18/wot-i-think-hitman-absolution/

I'll wait till it hits for less than $10, which shouldn't be long given Square Enix's track record.
Here's another review from Rock Paper Shotgun and it doesn't look good, there's actually a mission
where all 47 has to do is buy a suit, not kill anyone, but just buy a suit while the cutscenes take
care of all the killing...sounds like they really dumbed it down this go around....

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/18/wot-i-think-hitman-absolution/

RIP Hitman series

It might be fun when played through like Terminator in a police station (an approach I often enjoyed doing when replaying missions), but the stealth parts do not look enjoyable at all.

Steam preload is a go.

393512.gif

with Assassin's Creed 3 coming out on the same day these lukewarm reviews made the decision easy for me...AC3 is a Day 1 buy while Hitman will have to wait for a Steam sale

It might be fun when played through like Terminator in a police station (an approach I often enjoyed doing when replaying missions), but the stealth parts do not look enjoyable at all.

In TB's video he says the stealth elements are still there and in some ways even expanded upon, so I don't know. I think on the highest difficulty the stealth approach will be more fun and tense then if you played on an easier mode. Why are all the reviewers playing on Normal anyway? It's only the second difficulty, why not play on one of the three "Professional" difficulties? I'm far more interested in what those are like versus the casual difficulty levels.

In TB's video he says the stealth elements are still there and in some ways even expanded upon, so I don't know. I think on the highest difficulty the stealth approach will be more fun and tense then if you played on an easier mode. Why are all the reviewers playing on Normal anyway? It's only the second difficulty, why not play on one of the three "Professional" difficulties? I'm far more interested in what those are like versus the casual difficulty levels.

Yeah I watched the video and the stealth is there, but it's much more like a Splinter Cell-type stealth where you can't be seen at all as opposed to the hiding-in-plain-sight approach of the previous games. It's still there of course but it seems that some parts are linear 100% stealth sections and your disguise has no bearing on detection.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that in itself (Splinter Cell and other similar games do it pretty well), but IO's implementation doesn't look very fun, at least to me.

I too hope to see some Purist-runs. I'll post any that I find if others don't first. I'm guessing the reviewers play most games on default difficulty due to deadlines. Apparently reviewers across almost all review sites had a "chain of pain" help-email circulating when they had to review Dark Souls, since there weren't any walkthroughs yet...:D

Yeah I watched the video and the stealth is there, but it's much more like a Splinter Cell-type stealth where you can't be seen at all as opposed to the hiding-in-plain-sight approach of the previous games. It's still there of course but it seems that some parts are linear 100% stealth sections and your disguise has no bearing on detection.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that in itself (Splinter Cell and other similar games do it pretty well), but IO's implementation doesn't look very fun, at least to me.

I too hope to see some Purist-runs. I'll post any that I find if others don't first. I'm guessing the reviewers play most games on default difficulty due to deadlines. Apparently reviewers across almost all review sites had a "chain of pain" help-email circulating when they had to review Dark Souls, since there weren't any walkthroughs yet...:D

I'll be playing on Purist come tomorrow. Might play a little before work, but not sure.

Steam preload is a go.

You bastard. Nothing from GMG yet, looks like I'll have to download it overnight and play all day wednesday. Why does this always happen to me. ;) :cool:

Also this is going to be an awesome experience, I can feel it!

BUT its a console port and getting like the consoles ....ohhhhh wow ahhhhhh did you see that explosion man.
No I want a game to play not go wow for 2 seconds every hour or so.
overall games on the pc are just like public schools or should I say skooles a port for idiots is still just a port.
AND I LOVE the push the mouse button real easy and "slow, just like a console owner" ROFL

BUT its a console port and getting like the consoles ....ohhhhh wow ahhhhhh did you see that explosion man.
No I want a game to play not go wow for 2 seconds every hour or so.
overall games on the pc are just like public schools or should I say skooles a port for idiots is still just a port.
AND I LOVE the push the mouse button real easy and "slow, just like a console owner" ROFL

Is uh, any of this going to make sense at any point or..? Just curious.

A note from Tom: At the time I reviewed it for the print edition of PC Gamer, the PC version of Hitman: Absolution suffered from serious performance problems. These have since been fixed, and I’ve had the chance to verify that on our own machines. Since it’s still not out, there doesn’t seem much point in dinging it for a problem you won’t have. So in this online version, I’ve amended the bit that was no longer accurate.

To give you an idea, on a 2.8 GHz quad core with a Radeon HD 4800, it now runs at about 30-40 FPS on medium settings. It used to be 15 even on minimum.

The previously awful performance contributed to it feeling like a shonky PC port to me, and I took it into account in the score. Now that it runs decently, the game feels approximately 4% less shonky, and I’ve adjusted the score accordingly. This is about as scientific as the initial scoring process.
-- PC Gamer review update.

He played on a 4800-series card? WTF. I mean, sure, if you want to verify performance for older installs, great, but surely he played also on something modern?!

Back