Upcoming Games in the Next Year; DX9 vs. OGL

Twinkie

Gawd
Hey, gang.

Still working through choices for my video card purchase at ~$200 USD.

My question is now this: what must-own video games are going to be released within the next year, and will they be DirectX based games or OpenGL based games?

Nvidia has superior OpenGL support from what I've seen, but most of the games I'm currently playing are DirectX based.

the only company still using OpenGL in the gaming area is id software, take it quake4 and probably some other games will be based on the doom 3 engine that will use OpenGL but for the most part. DX9 will be the dominant API by far in the gaming market. Professional market is another story.

As far as games, most all of them should be DX. As far as graphics cards go, either one is going to give you a great experience. At the 200 dollar level, there isn't a whole lot of difference... but the 6600 seems to be coming out on top in places I've readed (various magazines) versus the x700. Plus, the 6600 is actually OUT in AGP... keep that in mind.

There are others being developed in OpenGL. Take a former GotY with an upcoming sequel, like KotOR. A guy posted a list once, and it impressed me. KotOR is the only one I remember from it, though.

Back