Unwanted connecitons on your wireless router?

matt9669

Limp Gawd
My brother has a router setup at school for his desktop/tablet PC/PS2/Xbox, and though he doesn't use the wireless function he's (foolishly, but what can you do, it's family :rolleyes: ) been leaving it on. There's one girl in particular who keeps using his connection, and though he knows he could just block her connection, he's trying to do something a little more devious just for kicks, and I'm not much help . . .

Basically he's looking to popup odd messages on her machine, or have it say something silly when she goes to her favorite sites, or the like - nothing potentially illegal like a virus . . .

Anyway, all he can glean from the router at this point is her local IP and a log of her internet activity - he nor I have any good ways of physically locating her computer, nor determining her OS etc - I suggested running a port sniffer, but I'd have no idea what to do with the open ports.

Any suggestions from t3h l33t h@x0r crowd out there?

matt9669 said:
Any suggestions from t3h l33t h@x0r crowd out there?

Yeah. Don't mess with a computer you do not own.
Either:
a) set up the router correctly
b) ask the girl to not use it

go to 192.168.0.X (whatever brand it is) and disable it. Or at the very least, secure it with a password (one of those 26 digit ones)

EDIT: as far as I know, what she's doing is illegal (same thing as hacking) and what your brother wants to do is worse. Just tell him to secure the connection

Try console message...

In "computer management"
>Action
>>All Task
>>>Send Console Message

(just the ip will go to her puter)

Only problem is, it will tell which (computer name) it is coming from, but if she is not tech savvy...who knows ;)

Send one to your self and see how it looks...

Not a bad idea, this does not sound like the computer savvy type . . .

And you guys are right, what we're trying to do is possibly foolish. Kinda like having unprotected sex, not that it stops many of us . . . ;)

tell him to stop trying to hack her computer. tell him to take a laptop with wireless in it and see if he can't walk around the dorm watching the radio signal to see when it is gaining/losing strength. when he thinks he knows where she is knock on the door, say hi, and then say the following:
"hey there, do you have wireless? yeah. okay, well i think you'rer using my WAP. and i don't want to be a prick about it, but i am going to secure it. but you seem like a hot chick and all so i thought maybe if you want i'll give you the WEP/WPA key so you can use it. cool? okay great. i mean you know, i love the intarweb too. we should discuss cool web sites over drinks sometime."

the fact your brother is more interested in hacking some girl's laptop than trying to meet her and get laid disturbs me. let me know if he also needs instructions for intercourse. i can draw some diagrams with stick figures.

Most wireless routers have a MAC filter. Simply select her MAC and deny it access. She wont be smart enough to buy a new wireless card.

How do you know it's a girl? Then ask if she as a boyfriend... :p

either

1. secure your wireless and stop h4x0ring when you dont know anything about it (and its not nice and illegal)
2. or make her trade booty for net access

big daddy fatsacks said:
the fact your brother is more interested in hacking some girl's laptop than trying to meet her and get laid disturbs me. let me know if he also needs instructions for intercourse. i can draw some diagrams with stick figures.

I need a good laugh, you should draw them anyways.

In any case, just turn the wifi access off and be done with it.

Change the SSID to 'Not Available'

It works at my office like a charm. Even my co-workers are thrown off by it.

He should still secure it though. If anything, just put a 128-Bit WEP. No excuse for an unsecure Wireless Network :rolleyes:.

Her computer name shows up in the traffic log as "jenna" something-or-other, and her list of visited websites heavily suggests female . . .

I like big daddy's idea - maybe he can borrow somebody's lappy w/ Wifi, or get one of those keychain Wifi sniffers - trade sex for internet access, lol . . . :D

If she had any brains she'd just plug her comp into the wall - they all have ethernet for crying out loud :rolleyes:

NotSoSimple said:
Change the SSID to "Not Available"
Hehe, I love the creativity on this forum . . .

Back