Unusual question about Hubs.

andrew1977

n00b
My brother changed the set up on our LAN because we need more then 4 connections now. He added a new hub to our already existing hub a while back.

Question I'm wondering about is does this configuration slow down our access to the cable modem and/or does it lower the available bandwidth between computers on the LAN itself.

Here is a Diagram.
networksetupni9.jpg

If it doesn't slow the network down would having different network settings on some of the computers slow it down? ie; Ethernet Card settings.

Sorry for pretty dumb questions but my brother is on a road trip and I got to wondering about slow speeds between the computers on the LAN so thought I try to fix it while he was gone and as a result can't complain or yell at me to stop screwing with the modem. :mad:

The only thing your brother accomplished, past adding the new devices, was making the collision domain bigger...
Computer to computer access, and computer to cable access can be slower - though doesn't have to be.
Replace the hub(s) with switch(es), if at all possible (even linksys ones would suffice). This increases the number of collision domains (less collisions, less re-sends and hold time) and also be switched ethernet, full duplex - as opposed to shared ethernet, half duplex :).

The only thing your brother accomplished, past adding the new devices, was making the collision domain bigger...
Computer to computer access, and computer to cable access can be slower - though doesn't have to be.
Replace the hub(s) with switch(es), if at all possible (even linksys ones would suffice). This increases the number of collision domains (less collisions, less re-sends and hold time) and also be switched ethernet, full duplex - as opposed to shared ethernet, half duplex :).

Yep yep and yep.

Hubs are pieces of shit in this day and age. There really is no reason not to spend a few extra bucks and to just get a switch. Full duplex + each port gets its own collision domain = awesome.

if you dunno what a collision domain is let me put it this way. A hub is basically like a giant one lane highway that only moves in one direction. You have a ton of cars trying to move in both directions. North-bound drivers will have to wait for south-bounders to pass through before they can begin (half-duplex), since it's only one lane both ways. And you can only imagine rush hour in a single lane.

A switch will basically take that same highway and make it 8 lanes going each direction.

So yea. Invest in a switch if at all possible.

Short sweet answer to the question actually asked

Question I'm wondering about is does this configuration slow down our access to the cable modem and/or does it lower the available bandwidth between computers on the LAN itself.

No. With 5 clients your only dealing with a moderate amount of collisions anyways. Scale that up by a factor of 10 - (50 clients), then it becomes an issue.

The hub isn't exactly a problem, but its not helping much either. Its ancient tech - like driving around in an original 1970's style VW bug.

Only 4x PCs and a console..granted switches are superior to hubs, and the price difference makes it almost a no brainer...but you really don't see difference between hubs/switches with under a dozen PCs..he's only doing 4 1/2 PCs here.

Only 4x PCs and a console..granted switches are superior to hubs, and the price difference makes it almost a no brainer...but you really don't see difference between hubs/switches with under a dozen PCs..he's only doing 4 1/2 PCs here.

Not exactly true; You won't see much of a difference if they are low bandwidth users. But what if these folks are sharing, say, DVD isos among themselves? Or other large files being centrally stored?

The collisions will add up and cause problems, even if you only have two systems ( yes, I've seen setups like this ).

Not that I have anything useful to add to the thread; it's already been covered. Just felt like chiming in.

I've done benchmarks across various hubs vs switches, I suppose if you saw a diff..could have been a really really crappy hub, versus a decent switch. I remember benching a better 3COM officeconnect hub against some Netgear switch..so didnt see a performance difference ...actually I recall the 3COM doing a bit better...only because it was a good unit, versus some home grade Netgear switch.

I'll stick with "We'll agree to disagree"....IMO, under a dozen computers doing average stuff....while on paper there should be a difference, in the real world...nada. Assuming the comparison is between relatively similar grade hardware, not some 9 dollar 5 port hub versus a hundred fifty dollar 24 port business grade switch. Also assuming all computers are of relatively good health, that some machine isn't infested with a spam bot spewing forth a stream of crap out on the internet.

I'm saving up to replace the system my brother put together.
Not sure on components yet since it'll be a couple months at least before I can really look into it.

I'd also like to apologize for taking so long for to reply. I've been on and off my brother's laptop computer while I was trying to paint my computer case. The information you guys provided was very helpful.

:)

Back