Unusual problem and I need some OS help

Toonage

[H]ard|Gawd
As a tech, I build lots of systems in various hardware combinations, and work on older systems too. A commercial client has ordered 4 Intel machines in a pretty basic workstation configuration: Celeron D 2.8 533, Asus P5GD-1 VM, 1 gig of ram, standard optical-floppy drives. The issue is-is that they want NT 4 Workstation/SP 6a loaded and setup, and its crashing the hardware, whether trying to load from floppy bootdisk set or Disk. In talking to Asus engineers, I was told that they don't have a board currently in production that will support NT. Seems the issue is with the chipset. Any with suggestions for a workaround? BTW, I'm not tied to this particular hardware combination, but try and find 4 socket 370 boards and P3's on short notice.....:) TIA for any help.

Your going to have to go with a motherboard wihtout PCIe based graphics display, or try disabling the on board PCIe graphics and use a PCI display board.

NT 4.0 didn't even support AGP until SP2. AGP wasn't out when it was released back in 1996...

If your client really needs NT 4.0, they might be better off with using Windows XP as a base OS, and using VMWare or Virtual PC to host NT 4.0 as a guest OS...

Back