Untangle noob question ->Wireless Router bypass?

turb0

Gawd
I've got this client that came to me today with an issue on certain websites being viewed and whatnot while on company time.

I'm looking at Untangle to be a buffer between the Router and the main Switch in the office; however, the router is wireless so my question is, if the clients connect via wireless will they always bypass the Untangle box via this method?

Now if I do the re-route Windows method of Untangle, does that really cause any kind of lag to have everyone going to this box to pass through and then back out to the main gateway / internet?

Never messed with untangle before but after reviewing it for the past few days, I think this could be the answer.

Main concern, some people are visiting adult and gambling sites and not only is it causing gossip in the office, productivity is falling way below the grid.

little background on the network.

3 laptops are wireless
5 desktops wired.
1 Win 2k3 Server running Term Services and SQL Server
4 VOIP phones

all winXP except for the server.

Why don't you just get a reasonably priced wireless AP and disable the router wireless?

3 laptops on a consumer wireless device in a small business is not going to be a big issue with performance.

make untangle the router/firewall
make the wireless router you have just an access point
plug wireless access point into switch

let untangle have it all, can also just use DynDNS

Why dont you just use OpenDNS. I know untangle does have some nice features but at work at (90+ Locations) we use OpenDNS and then at our home office we use an iPrism. Just my $0.02.

Why dont you just use OpenDNS. I know untangle does have some nice features but at work at (90+ Locations) we use OpenDNS and then at our home office we use an iPrism. Just my $0.02.

Do you mainly use OpenDNS for its filtering ability?

Do you mainly use OpenDNS for its filtering ability?

For the 90 remote locations yes. Has been rolled out for about a month or so. So far so good. Better then the proxy file that was hosted on our webserver that was sometimes spotty and would affect users access to our Access Gateway.

Can't you bypass OpenDNS with a static DNS server entry, though?

Clients could..but if they have a server...running active directory, workstations wouldn't be able to log into the domain properly.

Course since this server is also a terminal server...it's hopefully not a domain controller.

interesting. I guess I would still rather have the filtering done in hardware, locally. OpenDNS is a great product, I use it for a lot of friends' networks that don't want to run a dedicated UTM appliance.

Back