Untangle in Hyper-V?

tgabe213

2[H]4U
Has anyone run Untangle in Hyper-V?

I'm currently running a server with Server 2008 Standard with a few VM's in hyper-v. I never touch the host so I was going to start over with it and install Hyper-V Server.

I'm not sure whether or not I would like to run it as a router or transparent bridge [Link]. At the minimum, I understand I would need to get another NIC card. The server currently has a Intel DG45ID motherboard with a Gigabit nic. My primary concern is speed. I do a lot of gaming and downloading, and I don't want to take a big performance hit.

I'm a bit unfamiliar in running anything with more than one NIC card. Thoughts?

My suggestion would be to simply stay away from Untangle. I would consider myself to be reasonably technically inclined, and to me things became a lot more tangled with Untangle, especially if you only want to use one of their modules.

What functionality do you gain by using Untangle? It sounds like you are using this in a home environment where you are most likely already connected to a router that sits between you and the Internet (i.e. between your server and DSL or Cable).

My suggestion would be to simply stay away from Untangle. I would consider myself to be reasonably technically inclined, and to me things became a lot more tangled with Untangle, especially if you only want to use one of their modules.

What functionality do you gain by using Untangle? It sounds like you are using this in a home environment where you are most likely already connected to a router that sits between you and the Internet (i.e. between your server and DSL or Cable).

I don't really have a direct reason. It would give me something to tinker with and a little more flexibility, but I think I could acheive that with flashing my wrt54g with something 3rd party.

I run untangle on esxi, I have not been able to get it to function from within hyper-v at all.

Also, unless its suse enterprise, you'll have to jump through hoops to get any type of linux additions on there.

Back