Untangle Hardware

3 squared

n00b
First post from a Long time lurker. Been reading here for years made an account a while ago and finally have a question worth asking.

There is lots of talk on these forums about Untangle, I almost feel like I am beating a dead horse but after some searching and lots of reading there is no great threads about specific hardware setups and prices for a decent untangle box.

Im looking to build a new Untangle box as my d-link dir655 just cant cut it anymore. Pricing i'd like to keep sub $200 and in a small case nothing rack mounted. My internet service is 50mb down 5mb up mainly torrent/usenet traffic and some website hosting. only 2 clients with heavy data usage (10-20mb down consistent and a .5-2mb up) about 10 clients total.

Any opinions or suggestions? I'd like a few examples of what other people run for cheap without issues so that I know I'm not in un-explored territory. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There have been lots of threads about the hardware, commonly you'll see Supermicro Atom boards mentioned.
You want to get Intel or Broadcom NICs...not realteks...
Dual core Atom are great for home and small biz....the D510 or D525.
For home use, 1 gig of RAM is fine, 2 gigs is you want to really beef it up.
I'd recommend a hard drive that is designed for use in 24x7 small hot "always on" environments like DVRs...such as a Seagate Pipeline...or Western Digital AV-GP series.

200 bucks or less....good luck.
Realistic...approx 3 hundge.

Ok well based on your suggestions here's what i've come up with so far.

Motherboard/processor
Intel D510MO MINI-ITX Atom D510
Memory
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB

Case and hd I have taken care of already so all I need to complete the ensemble is a dual port intel nic... which seams to be expensive. Any ideas where I can find one for a good price? Is that intel board a good choice or is this asus a better buy?

ASUS AT5NM10-I Intel Atom Dual Core D510

Kind of kills what Stonecat is talking about, but I'm running it in a VM on our esx servers. 1 wan nic and 1 lan nic, 2 gigs of ram and an 80 gig hard drive. Something to consider too.

I've thought of that but i need something small as space is an issue for me. And im not a big fan of running it in a virtual machine either.

I just noticed on newegg that they have a Foxconn R30-D2 Intel Atom D510 Intel NM10 Intel GMA 3150 Barebone pc case and ps for $135.... so if i added ram/hd and a dual port nic i'd be set?

realcrap!

That's what I thought. Anything with decent intel nic is a premium.

I've been watching ebay off and on looking for dual port pci-e nic's for cheap and there is no such thing.

Kind of kills what Stonecat is talking about, but I'm running it in a VM on our esx servers. 1 wan nic and 1 lan nic, 2 gigs of ram and an 80 gig hard drive. Something to consider too.

I am trying to rebuild my Esxi server again and try this out, I like that option of running it on a VM.

I am trying to rebuild my Esxi server again and try this out, I like that option of running it on a VM.

I'm using it for our guest access since it has the captive portal and keeps guests separated from my production LAN. I have 1 vlan for WAN and one vlan for guests. It works great. I would not be afraid to recommend it to any body.

Not to go to far off topic, but I'm going to reformat a SSD for use in an untangle box (it is currently NTFS), I'm just not certain which storage format Untangle uses?

Refering to DeChache's post

I bought one of tho's nic's delivered for $30 so i've got myself a box. Glad to hear it's what a few others are running now that made ordering all this easier.

Not to go to far off topic, but I'm going to reformat a SSD for use in an untangle box (it is currently NTFS), I'm just not certain which storage format Untangle uses?

Not NTFS. I think it makes 3 partitions, one is a linux swap, q is for data and 1 is for the install. ext2, ext3, and swap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iirc the untangle install finds the disk and deletes everything and creates its own partitions. Probably just as easy to put he drive in and let untangle do its thing

Refering to DeChache's post

I bought one of tho's nic's delivered for $30 so i've got myself a box. Glad to hear it's what a few others are running now that made ordering all this easier.

Seems to be a good nic

mines just the Intel Branded D510 Atom board with 2 gig or ram an old laptop drive and the dual nic i linked above.

I've never seen it above 3% load on my 15down 1 up cable line

Back