Unsure what power supply to get

kilobyte

Limp Gawd
So i am trying to upgrade a friends old desktop and ran in to a little issue. Its been a really long time since i had to buy a power supply and i really have gotten behind the times. so with that said the computer has a Intel® Desktop Board DG965WH motherboard with an Geforce 8800 GT. Any suggestions ?

From what i saw on the motherboard it looks like it has a 24 pin power connector and next to the cpu there is a 4 pin power connector. Also the vid card has a 6 pin power connector.

would a 20 pin plus 4 pin power supply work for this? or would i need to find a power supply that has a 24 pin plug and a 4 pin plug? any ideas if they still make a power supply that has the correct connectors for the motherboard and video card all in one so i do not have to use this adapter cable?

All power supplies nowadays have the 24 pin motherboard plug. Normally it's a 20+4 pin design, since older motherboards used a 20 pin. Don't confuse the +4 with the 4 pin CPU plug, they provide different things.

Typically, modern power supplies come with a 4+4 pin CPU plug. Many motherboards use the 8-pin design, although some lower end ones use the 4 pin. That's why they use 4+4 for versatility.

That's a low power system. The Corsair CX500 V2 for $30 on Newegg is the best value at the moment. It has all the connectors you need. 24 pin motherboard, 4+4 pin CPU, and 2 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors for your GPU. 6+2 because some high-end cards use 8-pin connectors, not to be confused with the 8-pin CPU connector.

All power supplies nowadays have the 24 pin motherboard plug. Normally it's a 20+4 pin design, since older motherboards used a 20 pin. Don't confuse the +4 with the 4 pin CPU plug, they provide different things.

Typically, modern power supplies come with a 4+4 pin CPU plug. Many motherboards use the 8-pin design, although some lower end ones use the 4 pin. That's why they use 4+4 for versatility.

That's a low power system. The Corsair CX500 V2 for $30 on Newegg is the best value at the moment. It has all the connectors you need. 24 pin motherboard, 4+4 pin CPU, and 2 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors for your GPU. 6+2 because some high-end cards use 8-pin connectors, not to be confused with the 8-pin CPU connector.

Just got one of these PSU's (CX500) for sons M-ITX build, build quality and cable sleeving quality seems top notch, cables are chunky yet flexible. Have yet to try it in anger, but it is also very short at 140mm.

Getting one of them is sound advice :)

Thank you all for the responses, I just ordered that PSU. This site rocks and thank you all again.

Back