Unsure what GPU solution I should choose

So I've been researching for months now and I've pretty much decided every part for my new build but the GPU. I am going to be gaming at 5760x1080 which is the only reason this is a difficult decision. Will it be absolutely necessary to crossfire or SLI to have a pleasurable experience at this resolution without buying a titan or could I get away with a 7970 GHz / 680? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Really hard for me to justify spending more than $700 on a GPU(s) right now but what would YOU get for eyefinity/surround gaming?

Last edited:
If you're going to be doing Surround Gaming (5760x1080) then first thing is go AMD. Not poking at the Green Camp, but the Eyefinity ecosystem is much more evolved then the nVidia Surround ecosystem. You'll get better results, with more games that support it properly.

As for the card itself, I'd recommend an HD 7970 at minimum (Or 2 lesser cards in crossfire). An HD 7970 will do decent FPS at 5760x1080, but you won't get maxed out visuals. 2x HD 7970's, or even 2x HD 7950's in crossfire would net you better/smoother performance.

If your spending cap is $700, you should be able to net yourself 2x HD 7950's onsale from one of the various places, like Newegg or NCIX. I recently picked up a Gigabyte HD 7950 3GB Windforce Edition from NCIX for $280 CAD + tax and shipping (about $330 CAD all in), but that's the cheapest I've personally ever seen an HD 7950 for.

Anyway, this is what I would personally do.

basic answer yes. you will need to sli or cross fire for that resolution.

Back