Unsure of what headphones to buy. (O-Ear, O-Back)

RogueTadhg

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a A50 and returned it due to it just not working at all. So now i'm back looking into headphones. A couple stand out to me above 200s. I'm fine with paying that as soon as I get my return. But then I see a few that nudge over $1,500 that seem like they would be better and I would need to wait for a couple of months before I could purchase.

Then there's the cost of an amplifier. As I'm told, an amp isn't an option for quality of audio. Buy an amp.

Either way, I'm unsure of how much money to spend for an over-ear, open-back headphone (10+ hours of use at one sitting). I'd like to stay within $300, but quality over budget, I'll go to $500.

When it comes to comfortable open circumaural headphones, Sennheiser's 5x8/5x9 series cannot be beat; the range is topped by the current HD599, and these are (in my opinion) a little more comfortable than their older HD600/HD650 headphones, and more accessible than their newer HD700/HD800/HD800s.

Here you can get the HD518/558/598 in the US$100-200 range. You may use an amplifier if your onboard sound isn't up to par, but it most certainly is optional. My Z170-AR has ASUS' CrystalSound III, which is more than capable of amping my HD600's.

What will make the difference, if anything, is the DAC stage, and then an amp may be better or worse matched for a particular set of headphones. Short of an HD600, however, these aren't strictly necessary, most especially since you can accomplish your goals with the headphones themselves.

HD600/650, HD700, Hifiman 400i, are some options in your price range. If you are willing to buy used and just swap the earpads you might be even able to score a used HD800.

Back