Unsupported CPU in 6.0?

danswartz

2[H]4U
So I have a crappy old system I dredge out when I need to try a quick experiment. Pentium-D on an intel server MB with 8GB ram. I hauled it out last night to throw 6.0 on it to test something, and it PSOD'ed with a message about unsupported CPU type. Looking at the 6.0 release notes, all I saw was something about 3 amd opterons not being supported. Not that this is a big deal, just curious...

Except when it's not. I looked there. For 5.5 as well as 6.0. Pentium-D is not there for either release. The only 'pentium' that shows up anywhere on that list is 'Pentium B925C' (whatever that is.)

I don't think so. This works just fine on 5.5, which also lists vt-x as a requirement. The 6.0 docs say 'ESXi 6.0 supports 64-bit x86 processors released after September 2006'. The latest pentium-d was January 2006. Not sure how they decide what to exclude, but clearly this box is out of luck for 6.0. Oh well...

Except when it's not. I looked there. For 5.5 as well as 6.0. Pentium-D is not there for either release. The only 'pentium' that shows up anywhere on that list is 'Pentium B925C' (whatever that is.)

If it's unsupported, it's unlikely that it'll work. You could try installing 5.5 and then upgrading, however that is also a gamble.

Yeah, I get it. I don't need 6.0 on that box - I was just throwing the latest and greatest on this old testbed and was surprised it didn't work when 5.5 did. It's not a big deal. I was just curious about what they changed that now detects that particular processor and refuses to install.

Back