• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

UNSTABLE_MACHINE error based on video card locations?

Intrepid

n00b
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
15
This one baffles me.

After moving video cards around, I have a GTX260 and a 8800GTS 640 on a IP35-Pro board with XP. Yeah, the GTS eats about 2.4k ppd from the GTX260, but the other box is running 3x 8800GT. Anyway, I get the UNSTABLE_MACHINE error on the GTS when the GTX260 is in the first PCIe slot and the GTS in the second. But if I reverse the order, everything runs fine.

Anyone ever had this happen, or know why this occurs? :confused:

 
This could happen with a GTX 260 and 177.35 driver. I had a issue with this combo myself and upgrading the driver to 177.41 solved it for me. Maybe this is something similar in your case so try the latest WQHL 177.41 or better to see if that solve the issue.

 
I'm currently using the 177.79 drivers on that box, and it is still a no-go. I remember trying the 177.41's and that didn't help either. Can't hurt trying the 41's and modded 35's again...

 
Another thing you could do is to wipe the drivers entirely in safe mode, put the cards in the correct spot then don't let Window install the driver automatically. Do this part yourself and see if it works (My guess is that one of the cards is using the generic VGA driver somehow).

 
I'm thinking it has to do with the power supply/wattage being supplied through the PCIe slot vs. the amount through the extra power plugs.

When the GTS is in the 4x slot it might not be getting the full 75watts from the PCIe slot, that it needs.

Where the GTX has 2 power plugs and a more robust power system from the extra power plugs, so it does fine in the 4x slot that provides less juice.

ie: nothing to do with software/drivers
 
I've used Driver Sweeper in safe mode before each try with different drivers. After each driver install the first place I go to is the device manager to see the status of the display adapters. Still no dice.

As for PCIe slot power, I wasn't aware that the different slots may provide different voltages. I'll need to research this to see if this is the case.

 
You didn't perchance put the sli strap on did you? (Ok, no comments about the strap on part);)

 
Back
Top