unstable overclocking because no ATX12V?

neisius

Gawd
I have an MSI K7N2 and a 2500+ and I'm not doing to good running at 3200+
Could it be because my powersupply doesn't support the 4 pin ATX12V? I read the manual and it said the ATX12V provides power for the CPU.
So is it worth upgrading my 400W powersupply?
If so what should I get?
I saw a 600W duel fan for ~$24 shiped but it didn't say anything about ATX12V.
Help?

The most overlooked part of any overclocked system is the power supply. A bad power supply that proveds inadequate rail voltages will seriously limit the stability of your system.

Should you upgrade? If you have the money, sure! Why not? It will only be beneficial to your components. Will it help your Barton run stable at 3200? Maybe. There really isn't any way to say for sure, but its a good start.

As for that 600W "powersupply" for 24$....HELL NO. Any decent power supply can not cost anywhere near that price. I would recommend an Antec TruePower 480 or 550, or the Enermax series of powersupplies. These are generally considered the best as far as power quality and reliability. Remember, just because a higher voltage is printed on the label (ie 600W for that piece of crap PS), it doesnt mean it regulates the voltage or keep voltages anywhere near spec. Go with Antec or Enermax and you will never go back to a budget power supply again.

-OMP

I just checked MBM5 and it says +12v is around 11.19v :(
I don't know $95 for a powersupply feels like a kick in the nutz :eek:
I'll have to see if I have the $$$ for it. Thanks for the help.

If you think that feels like being kicked in the nuts...get one of those sub 30$ power supples and you will actually WANT to be kicked in the nuts later. No joke. Running 11v on the 12v line isn't too hot, and the only way to solve that problem is, yes, get a decent power supply. I know the good ones aren't easy on the wallet, but who says stability and piece of mind come cheap.

Check out www.pricewatch.com for good prices on power supplies. 85$ for the antec which is pretty good. Check the vendor ratings to avoid the 'sketchy' companies and you should be fine.

-OMP

yea i used to have a compusa "power$upply" it was free from my friend so i couldn't complain too much... but i was running a 1.4ghz P4 in it and the 12V rail could only achieve 11.4v...:rolleyes:
now with my enermax that i bought for at newegg the 12v rail is always within 1percent of the 12volt rating, and it never goes below 11.9V

:( :( :( Buying a motherboard for my g/f's dad turned into buying a 2500+ for me...which lead to buying 512mb more mem...which lead to buying a new cooler...which lead to buying some big ass case fans...and now this. I haven't worked in a year...maybe I should find a job :eek:

Originally posted by neisius
:( :( :( Buying a motherboard for my g/f's dad turned into buying a 2500+ for me...which lead to buying 512mb more mem...which lead to buying a new cooler...which lead to buying some big ass case fans...and now this. I haven't worked in a year...maybe I should find a job :eek:
yes a job would be nice...
but i can't tell you what todo cuz im a college student and i already shelled out 600 bucks on this computer in a month...and im on financial aid for school too!!!

ok I'm checking out the Antec TRUE CONTROL 550W. Having a case fan only power chain sounds like just the thing to control my 2 120MM(crome :cool: ) and 3 80MM case fans :D
Guess I'll grab one for $101 on newegg when I order my MOMO Racing/Logitech Feedback Wheel in a few weeks :eek:
Then maybe a AIW 9800pro by summer...THEN THAT'S IT! for another 5 years.

Hey my 800 tbird and GF2 Ultra treated me great for a good 5 years. I think these upgrades should last me a good amount of time....64bit, PCI express, SATA, I can wait on that another 3 years at least :D

you probly will last the 5 years...
i on the other hand am very weak and will probly upgrade again come christmas time:D ;)

Eewwwwww, a job ? :(
Lets see, that means you have to do the "W" word and thats a 4 letter word and you can't say that in this forum ! :)
Some of us are retarded, oops retired and don't have to worry about that word ! :)

Originally posted by oldbrave
Eewwwwww, a job ? :(
Lets see, that means you have to do the "W" word and thats a 4 letter word and you can't say that in this forum ! :)
Some of us are retarded, oops retired and don't have to worry about that word ! :)
yeh and some of us just make the g/f pay for everything :D

Back