Unstable downloads in torrents(only)

IsaacMM

Gawd
This is the typical behavior my download speed presents when i use torrents:

utorrent.jpg

You can see that it reaches the maximum speed (105-108 kb/s), or close to it, then it maintains that speed for some time, then it suddenly drops to much lower speed (about 70-80 kb/s). After that it recovers and get close to maximum speed once again and the cycle is repeated.

This doesn't happen when i download non-torrent stuff, the download speed is always very stable and is usually around 105 kb/s.

I am using uTorrent 1.8.4

Any thoughts?

It's a torrent so download speeds will pretty much always fluctuate as the number of seeds/peers changes all the time.

This is not unstable... it's typical.

seeing as how torrents are peer-to-peer, what's the chances of all the seeds you're connected to, to provide the same exact amount of upstream bandwidth (to you) 100% of the time?

slim to none.

It's a torrent so download speeds will pretty much always fluctuate as the number of seeds/peers changes all the time.

This is not unstable... it's typical.

seeing as how torrents are peer-to-peer, what's the chances of all the seeds you're connected to, to provide the same exact amount of upstream bandwidth (to you) 100% of the time?

slim to none.

Well i am using a private tracker and i am the only person downloading this torrent from over 20 seeds, shouldn't this be enough?

Perhaps you dropped your connection to a seed, picked up a new one, and regained the lost speed?

torrent speeds are never a guarantee. As time goes on mine seem to go up to my max then can drop down to 10kbs. then backup

It's probably a dip every time you finish a piece and it recovers when you start the next download piece, or a dip when the seeder does something to use bandwidth on their end. It's not like anything is crashing down in speed that would indicate a hardware problem.

Well i am using a private tracker and i am the only person downloading this torrent from over 20 seeds, shouldn't this be enough?

the other seeders may be seeding other files. As I said, there is no guarantee that all the seeds you are connected to are going to give you the same amount of bandwidth 100% of the time.

just because you're the only leecher on that particular one, does NOT mean the seeders are not also seeding other files, which of course then use up their bandwidth, and can take away that bandwidth from you.

Back