Unsecured networks every where

JucyTEC

Limp Gawd
MIght be old news to people but i thought it was interesting...

I work setting up computer systems for restaurants from time to time and last week i went to West side NYC found this out...

nycw.jpg

So many networks unsecured... i didn't try all of them but i got connected to of them with no problem, and the routers them selves were running its default passwords and default IP. 192.168.0.1. I dunno i thought it was pretty funny.

it's more of a sad thing than anything, i mean, if "we have permission to access them" it means free internet, but most of these people have no idea how to secure them, or why they need to be secure

You should drive around some of Disney's communities.
In my apartment in Tampa however I can only get 3 that are open from my livingroom.

I only pcik one up here and the guy has some wierd shit that changes the id every 10 seconds so you can't connect to it. I left netstumbler open and came back to find about 50 different Ids on channel 11.

apartment complexes are fun too! But out here in El Dorado Hills, I only get one, and thats mine (that I don't even use, lol)

I leave my WAP completely open because it's connected a proxy server that logs everything It's fun looking through what people visit, passwords, etc. :)

MeanieMan said:
You should drive around some of Disney's communities.
In my apartment in Tampa however I can only get 3 that are open from my livingroom.

Agreed. I travel a bunch. Live in Tampa, travel to Orlando weekly. In my apartment in Tampa I can pick up on average 5 unsecured with default IP's, logins, and pw's and 1 secured with simple WEP. In Orlando, I can sometimes pick up 10-15 different ones depending on what complexes I'm at..

I was driving through a small town on the way to the gun shop today. I picked up 20+ open networks. Just in the McDOnalds parking lot near a Hotel, and a few apartments I picked up 7, 5 of which I could log onto. All 5 were useing the default SSID and passwords. At my house I pick up 2 that are unsecured, all of which use the default password. I would like to set up a separate router and log all of the trafic, just to see what people are doing.

just a subnote here:
Just because it dosnet have WEP Does NOT mean its unsecured. Verizon wireless is a perfect example of this. Im pretty sure you have to have an account to us it. My college uses BlueSocket IPSec to controll access to our wireless. But yeah, a majority of those are just wide open personal networks

Rombus said:
just a subnote here:
Just because it dosnet have WEP Does NOT mean its unsecured. Verizon wireless is a perfect example of this. Im pretty sure you have to have an account to us it. My college uses BlueSocket IPSec to controll access to our wireless. But yeah, a majority of those are just wide open personal networks

You can use mac filtering and it will show up as unsecure. But how many users use mac filtering and keep the SSID as "linksys", or "netgear"?

Alias said:
You can use mac filtering and it will show up as unsecure. But how many users use mac filtering and keep the SSID as "linksys", or "netgear"?
hence my last line of "But yeah, a majority of those are just wide open personal networks" :D

Heck, even in my own network i dont even use MAC Filtering, just a wep key.

Drive around with a laptop running NetStumbler with the sound notification on and just set it in the back seat. About 30 minutes and I had close to 300. Apartments with WiFi are fun even just to look at some of the funny SSID's.

Rombus said:
hence my last line of "But yeah, a majority of those are just wide open personal networks" :D

Heck, even in my own network i dont even use MAC Filtering, just a wep key.

I see. I found a couple I couldn't connect to. I drove around a few blocks in my area tonight. I found 26 Networks, 16 of them unsecure. Most of them had a SSID "linksys". A few were pretty funny. LOL

Its time like these that make me feel like the smartest and most powerful man on earth. :D

Back