Unrel Tournament 2K4 n00b question

CrombieKid

Weaksauce
i just got a new computer and i just picked up UT2K4, after playing online it just a tiny bit when im running around it keeps saying "Speed Hack Detected!" and it doesnt let me move until its off the screen... what is going on and what am i doing wrong?

CrombieKid said:
i just got a new computer and i just picked up UT2K4, after playing online it just a tiny bit when im running around it keeps saying "Speed Hack Detected!" and it doesnt let me move until its off the screen... what is going on and what am i doing wrong?

Welcome to lag. it thinks you moved too fast during a lag time, and stops you.

ahh the infamous net speed hack. :D

Try checking the box directly underneath the selection for what you connection you use. If it's already checked, then you need to uncheck it. if it's not checked, then try checking it and seeing what that does.

Net Speed hack, is basically changing your net speed constantly to gain an advantage.

if you're running on a wireless network or just have a crappy ISP, this is pretty normal.

ditch the wireless

DaVisionz said:
if you're running on a wireless network or just have a crappy ISP, this is pretty normal.

ditch the wireless
i am on a wirelss network, 802.11b.. do you think upgrading to wireless g will help?

CrombieKid said:
i am on a wirelss network, 802.11b.. do you think upgrading to wireless g will help?

Wired >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wireless.

Just run a cable, if you can.

CrombieKid said:

no, because its not being caused by the connection speed, its because of the way packets go back and forth between the two... its not a 100% stable line, the speed fluctuates quite a bit, but everything you see a timing for is an average.

Uhm. I honestly doubt wireless is the issue. I constantly have a "poor" to "medium" connection from my 802.11b adaptor in the basement (main machine) to the router upstairs and my pingtimes are steady <50 in games such as counterstrike. I do believe it has to do with your ISP more than wireless for sure...

lopoetve said:
Wired >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Wireless.

Just run a cable, if you can.
QFT
even tho wireless is a bit more convinient it sucks for games, my friend tried to play wireless on a 4 people lan we had, he lagged the hell out of everyone...

wangFu said:
QFT
even tho wireless is a bit more convinient it sucks for games, my friend tried to play wireless on a 4 people lan we had, he lagged the hell out of everyone...

The assumption that all wireless is the same is the problem. He has "b" and that is uhh yeah old from what i recall. THAT is part of the problem. But in the end wire > wireless is a duh.

i had my internet setting as "cable/isdn" i switched it over to "LAN" and it seems to have fixed this issue

My statement comes mostly from trying to run Serious sam servers on wireless. It dies. Fast.

lopoetve said:
My statement comes mostly from trying to run Serious sam servers on wireless. It dies. Fast.

Again, all wireless is NOT the same! Its like a cordless phone. Just because the old school 49 mhz phones sucked ass don't mean the newer 5 ghz (is that what they are at now?) suck too because they are "cordless"! :p

Tazman2 said:
Again, all wireless is NOT the same! Its like a cordless phone. Just because the old school 49 mhz phones sucked ass don't mean the newer 5 ghz (is that what they are at now?) suck too because they are "cordless"! :p

Running a Cisco wireless router/switch on 802.11g?

KevC said:
Uhm. I honestly doubt wireless is the issue. I constantly have a "poor" to "medium" connection from my 802.11b adaptor in the basement (main machine) to the router upstairs and my pingtimes are steady <50 in games such as counterstrike. I do believe it has to do with your ISP more than wireless for sure...

I guarantee 100% that that is the problem. Have you ever even played UT2k4? do you know how it acts? EVERY player that I know that runs a wireless network of ANY sort has this problem in UT2k4... its not always constant, but it does happen to every one of them at some point. This could be because of the netcode, but I guarantee that with UT2k4, this wouldn't happen on a wired network.

Back