Unrecord: VERY realistic-looking FPS being developed

Without making the windows of the video bigger when it was played a low res I thought it was a joke before the player entered the building, like someone used actual body cam footage and adding stuff to it. The exterior are quite something

Last edited:
Wow I hope it's as intense as that video. Almost has a VR vibe to it. UE5 has some crazy looking shit coming out.

looks impressive visually...why do they blur out the faces of the people you kill?...is that part of the game or are they trying to keep things PG?...I don't want a PG rated shooter

so i'm just going to assume the footage in OP is "in-engine" but not actual gameplay, or was VR gameplay, because how the fuck do animations like that work in a non-VR FPS game? the gun's sights need to be reliable in non-VR or it's completely useless, like the way it just moves all the fuck over the place when ADSing and firing

if, somehow, that is actual legit live non-VR gameplay, then that is the most impressive IK animation work i've ever seen in my life

from the link i posted. could go ask him.
1681960332181.png

oh and he tweeted this so no need to ask
1681960428621.png

https://twitter.com/esankiy

It's amazing what great lighting and shadows can do in a game. There was some clipping/aliasing in the video but wonder if that is the video recording.

It's amazing what great lighting and shadows can do in a game. There was some clipping/aliasing in the video but wonder if that is the video recording.
I think developers have been able to make games look like this for quite some time now. There is just no desire to do it. They'd rather make artistic interpretations rather than reflect reality. That may also be leftover stigma from government complaints about games like Doom and Mortal Kombat being too "realistic," which sounded ridiculous even back when Lieberman's notorious congressional hearings were happening.

I think developers have been able to make games look like this for quite some time now. There is just no desire to do it. They'd rather make artistic interpretations rather than reflect reality. That may also be leftover stigma from government complaints about games like Doom and Mortal Kombat being too "realistic," which sounded ridiculous even back when Lieberman's notorious congressional hearings were happening.

Nah, there's plenty of games going for the realism look.

Here is my breakdown of the graphics:

Static environments are the easiest thing to do which look very real in this game.
Your own arms in most FPS are unrealistically static and they made them behave way more real in this. (although it would probably be annoying if you're actually playing the game)

The hard stuff is animations and interactions between things and the environment, especially people.
They have very few things actually moving and very few interations in this game.

They blurred out the faces so they don't need to worry about the hardest thing to make realistic.

The animations where people were dying looked like bad acting. They don't really focus on them in the video, probably because they don't look very good.

The video has distortion to make it look like a video feed, which sort of makes it look more realistic even though it would be annoying to have to play with that.
But I'm guessing it's kind of the point to make it look like a video feed game based on the title.

So basically this game is doing some things extremely well, and just blurring out or omiting anything that looks unrealistic.
Also like every trailer, it was recorded in a way show off the game the best it can by avoiding showing all the unrealitic stuff and focusing on the real looking stuff. When you actually play the game it's not going to be as realistic feeling.

Very impressive if it's only one guy or a few people working on it like someone else said.

If that is true, then this doesn't look like fun at all. At some point he is going to need to make the gameplay fun and not just craft it for impressive-looking videos.
This is more for a movie you can play affair I would guess (or they should aim for) with a similar length than a movie (say 2 hours of gameplay, maybe a trilogy at max, ultra narrative base driven), where it is about the story, feeling like a cop in those situations high intensity experience.

Because yes actual game play that you do like a sport, probably do not work at all with current tech (or desirable, probably too intense if it would work to stay a long time in that mindset)

Last edited:
This is more for a movie you can play affair I would guess (or they should aim for) with a similar length than a movie (say 2 hours of gameplay, maybe a trilogy at max, ultra narrative base driven), where it is about the story, feeling like a cop in those situations high intensity situation experience.

Because yes actual game play that you do like a sport, probably do not work at all with current tech (or desirable, probably too intense if it would work to stay a long time in that mindset)
That is what I was guessing, too, but the developer described it as a mouse & keyboard FPS. He didn't say how much interaction you have, though, so it could be anything from interactive movie to full freedom of movement.

Based on the video, I'm not buying into this being wholly 3D rendered. This look like at best AR, or what I'd expect AR to look like.

I can't believe some of you are falling for this being next gen graphics.

Based on the video, I'm not buying into this being wholly 3D rendered. This look like at best AR, or what I'd expect AR to look like.

It's using photogrammetry to generate the world, and common techniques to make 2D surfaces appear 3D. If you pay attention to both videos you can see the illusion fall apart when looking at surfaces from oblique angles. There are also a few times when you can see aliasing and texture errors, especially in the safe room scene in the video in the OP.

I was honestly not super impressed and I agree with you. I think you could make something just about as convincing on the Source engine for like a decade+ now. Still all that said.. it was cool :)

It's real UE5 graphics. Same tech as this video from about a year ago people were raving about.

I was honestly not super impressed and I agree with you. I think you could make something just about as convincing on the Source engine for like a decade+ now. Still all that said.. it was cool :)
The perspective and animation is what makes it interesting, I'm just not sure how that will work in practice if this is a FPS with full freedom of movement. This kind of thing could be a serious issue for those who get motion sickness.
It's real UE5 graphics. Same tech as this video from about a year ago people were raving about.

Yeah, full photogrammetry with close-to-accurate lighting is insane.

It's using photogrammetry to generate the world, and common techniques to make 2D surfaces appear 3D. If you pay attention to both videos you can see the illusion fall apart when looking at surfaces from oblique angles. There are also a few times when you can see aliasing and texture errors, especially in the safe room scene in the video in the OP.
Ok, well I learned something new today.

So basically scan the real world then quantize it to best fit?

Ok, well I learned something new today.

So basically scan the real world then quantize it to best fit?
That is the basic idea behind it. Some earlier games like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter used some photogrammetry to create the world, but the texture detail and lighting wasn't as good as what we see in the videos from this thread. Ethan Carter was made almost 10 years ago at this point, so that is to be expected.

That is the basic idea behind it. Some earlier games like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter used some photogrammetry to create the world, but the texture detail and lighting wasn't as good as what we see in the videos from this thread. Ethan Carter was made almost 10 years ago at this point, so that is to be expected.
Well it totally fooled me. So I guess this stuff works.

The level of detail on the orange metal container @1:10 is insane. The detail on the hinges themselves is not something you'd ever see via traditional means.

it's not the quality of the assets or lighting that impresses me the most, by FAR it's this free-aim "smart" IK system for mouse/kb controls (which seems to not only be aware of any collision geometry near the player, but also blends IK animations for the body, hands/viewmodel, AND the camera) combined with the realistic camera movements that makes it look so realistic. making a map that looks really good in UE5 isn't that hard, the engine includes tech to make the process pretty easy now. you can slap together a map with free assets and utilize all the lighting wizardy UE5 has to offer in very little time.

many, many developers have shown they can achieve the asset quality that it's that teaser, but if the actual movement and aiming stuff is legit, that's procedural animation quality we haven't seen even from the "best" like Naughty Dog or Rockstar.

I'm hoping this is more of a unique survival horror style game... The difficult to wrangle controls and novel but limiting view mode screams "horror experience". Like the original Condemned game running on the Doom3 engine. That game had some amazing combat but it was first and foremost a horror game.

Back