• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Unrealistic expectations? or a T.R.U.E. problem?

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 6, 2005
Messages
3,189
For christmas I got myself a TRUE and 4 KAZE Ultra 3000rpm fans. 2 fans are on the TRUE. Another lined up with them a few inches away continuing their air stream right out of the back of the case. The fourth blowing in under the video card.
The problem? Temps are still in 55-57* range under load. I didn't figure they would be nearly so much with only 1.216 vcore.
Is my fan setup bad? should I pop out some front drive bays to allow more breathing? Maybe the TRUE needs to be lapped? The bottom looked machined too me, still had the arcing lines. Don't know how you can get something unflat like that. Do these chips (e7200) have bad IHS contact? Or am I just expecting too much?

About like this (phone was dead so no pic).
2mhsxhy.jpg
 
My setup is exactly like that, save that I'm missing the 2nd fan on the TRUE, and the lower fan has been lost due to the vid card switch over the a GTX 260, previously, I had a 8800GTX with a Thermalright cooler on it and a scythe 1200 blowing up. The rest of the fans are scythe 1500rpm fans. Since you are using 3000rpm fans, should cool better than my setup.
 
How are your ambient temps? Is it warm enough you can wear shorts? Or cold enough that you are wearing sweaters/pants?
 
e7200 doesn't have a soldered IHS. you have hit the limit of the thermal conductivity of everything in between the TRUE and the CPU CORE
 
My true with my quad at stock clock my temps wouldn't get out of the 40's under load. I haven't found a TRUE I didn't need to lap. I've used 4 of them so far and all were not flat.
 
Unlapped, just taken out of the box. Idles in the mid 30*C range.
Ambient temps are probably 20-22*C (or lower).
 
LAP that thing man. Every TRUE I've installed (over ten) has had a defect in manufacturing (it is NOT by design as some idiots suggest) and they they all needed severe lapping. This will help a lot, done correctly. It's a pain, but will give you the best air cooler out there as a result. Your load temps should drop quite a bit.
 
Did no one listen to me? I've got the exact same setup as him.....................
 
Did no one listen to me? I've got the exact same setup as him.....................

If the IHS is not soldered then why not pop the lid on that bastage? Grow some [H] and break out the bic shaver. :D
 
Sojuck - Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither does the E8*00 series, and @stock I was seeing temps like his. After lapping the True, and the CPU, OC'd @ 4.5Ghz 1.37V i Don't break 55C under prime small FFT. Unlapped with IC7 the thermal paste it looked like this:


After lapping (alot more flat, not exactly shiney). I know it is not the best lap job, but after about 4 hours I was tired :p


When I get out of work, I'll reseat the TRUE and take a photo of the TIM spread. I apply my TIM using the rice grain in the center like I used to with a single core with AS5
 
I'm at 60C with a Q9550 at 1.20v, the TRUE is lapped but the IHS is not, just have not taken the time yet. However on my old CPU I dropped 7C by lapping just the TRUE. I don't have a dual fan set up (though it's coming). Are the fans on a controller? If so what are you running them at? Have you tried messing around with the fan layout and seeing of your temps change?
 
No controller. Full 133cfm of woosh going on (sounds like a server room in inside a case). I am thinking of getting a controller though since the temps aren't that great anyway.

Like sojuuk said though I think they do have bad IHS contact. Somone on XS said they got a huge temp decrease after decapping the chip. Bad IHS paired with bad TRUE base combine to create these bad temps I guess. I did some testing though, it takes me 1.3 vcore to hit 4ghz and around 1.35 or so to get to 4.1. I might as well live with 3.8 rather than spend hours lapping and risk chip destruction with IHS removal since outside of superpi there would be no tangible difference.
 
Sojuck - Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither does the E8*00 series, and @stock I was seeing temps like his. After lapping the True, and the CPU, OC'd @ 4.5Ghz 1.37V i Don't break 55C under prime small FFT. Unlapped with IC7 the thermal paste it looked like this:


After lapping (alot more flat, not exactly shiney). I know it is not the best lap job, but after about 4 hours I was tired :p


When I get out of work, I'll reseat the TRUE and take a photo of the TIM spread. I apply my TIM using the rice grain in the center like I used to with a single core with AS5

then i shall correct you :(
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/305443-ihs-removals-how-do-should-i.html

that list is no exhaustive or concrete as no one has really proved the type for each individual chip on that list. But as it is the only information i can find on the subject and hasn't changed in months id say it's mostly accurate.
 
Back
Top