Unreal Engine 4 Features Demonstration

It looks like Epic is itching for new consoles to finally come out as well. These current consoles have been out far too long now and are really holding back progress. As great as our PCs are, unfortunately, they are not mainstream and these devs sadly won't deliver more graphically intensive games until the consoles can catch up as well with all their mainstream-ness. :(
Well PC games globally are not chump change. But no, while they can kill two birds in one shot, Xbox game + PC port, they have little motivation.

But another reason is that Microsoft controls PC gaming via DirectX. They can stifle PC gaming by sandbagging new DirectX features. Because PC graphics growth is as much about new features and software optimization as pure horsepower. Without the software meeting the new hardware, growth is limited.

It will probably be to daunting but I would hope that Steam is successful in porting Steamworks to Linux and resurrects OpenGL for everyone in the process.

Editors > Games

...at least, in my case. I just seem to love the creative process more then the actual end product. Making Doom levels I think was a huge launching pad for my current career :)

Oh and the engine is still not good enough for real Rendering
Sure, but no doubt it's getting closer. And in some cases you can fool the average person, especially on a lower res screen or for a rough arch-viz demonstration.

It's still all these tricks to get a decent amount of speed. The unbiased renderers are still a long ways away for games IMO, and we may even be moving away from polygon-based meshes at that point too. Who knows what will really happen?

I'm looking forward to playing with the editor and am hopeful they make it free to try soon.

Back