Unreal Engine 3 question

allright this is very old tech. the game is called UT2004 and pretty kmuch any video card will play it. as long as you have a recent DX9 card that is.

Really? I thought UT2K4 was based on UE2 and this was to power their next gen games post Doom3 and HL2.

As a matter of fact they have UT2K4 listed as one of the UE2 games.

BobSutan said:
What I'm wondering is A. when do they expect to have a game out built on this tech, and B. what cards are available now that could handle it?

I believe it was around 2006 and they were showing it off on single and dual 6800U(?) rigs with decent framerates ..

thevampirelord66 said:
allright this is very old tech. the game is called UT2004 and pretty kmuch any video card will play it. as long as you have a recent DX9 card that is.
please know waht you are talking about before you post.

unreal engine 3, the last i heard, is due in ~2007 (or maybe it was 6) and the tech demo was run on a 6800UE, albiet at about 25fps. i think currently, the 6800 series is hteonly one that supports all the tech in the ue3, as it supports sm3 and all, im not so sure about 2.0b

edit: i was beaten to the post, but SLI tech was no where near finshed at the time that demo was run, the 6800 series hadnt even been released. it was run on a single card. being as such, with matured drivers, i suspect it would run much better at this point on the 6800 series

BobSutan said:
Old news or not, those pics of UE3 are top-notch.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

What I'm wondering is A. when do they expect to have a game out built on this tech, and B. what cards are available now that could handle it?

No games as of yet have ben made on this engine. But expect to see games based on this engine this year or maybe in 2006. A developer has already licensed this engine, I forgot the name of it. As for the hardware question, the 6800 Ultra is the only card able to render Unreal Engine 3, however to a limited extent, as shown in the E3 demos. I read in an interview about graphics cards needing to have 1gb of memory, which isn't too farfetched when you think about it, and isn't unrealistic, as the amount of memory graphics cards have just continues to double.

thevampirelord66 said:

you obviously didnt pay attention to last year's E3 ;)

and as for the origional question, the x800s and 6800s should be able to handle it(with graphical tweaking), but it will be at least another year or two before this game is out. So, dont sweat it till then. When it does finally come out 4 years from now, there will be much more qualified cards to handle it.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to build a new system soon and want to future proof the sucker as much as possible. Its good to know that there are cards available right now that will be able to support. Warm fuzzy accomplished.

As for the games, I was just wondering if anyone had announced intentions to build with it. I assume there will be a UT200x and/or an Unreal 3 to showcase the engine in all its glory, but I was more interested if anyone else was going to use it. Meh, I guess it doesn't really matter at this point anyway.

yeah, unreal3 is showcasing the engine, just like unreal2 did for UE2. as of now, there are a few companies who have licensed the engine, but AFAIK, no games based on it have been announced.

This article explains it best.

In fact, the just-released GeForce 6800 is the first video card that runs the engine acceptably -- at about 25 to 30 frames per second. "Not incredibly fast," said Sweeney, but he has his eyes on the generation of cards after it. "You'll see PC games starting to ship with UE3 in early 2006," he said.

im guessing the current top notch cards of today will be the ti4X00's of UE3 when a game on the engine comes out.

thevampirelord66 said:

Wow, that was the most stupid thing I have ever read.

The Unreal III engine is in this moments, one of the most advanced game engines. And I guess it's not hard to see what game will be using it first. That would be Unreal III.
What is unique about it, is that it does not require a ultra high-end computer to run, due to the technologies they use, especially for characters.
Though, now don't think it will run good with a 9600 :) But also don't forget that they have in mind launching the game in '07 - '08, and until then a new generation of video cards will appear, and costs of the actual ones will decrease as well.

What is unique about it, is that it does not require a ultra high-end computer to run, due to the technologies they use, especially for characters.

Er, considering that that minimum will be 512 Ram for a GPU, and NO graphics cards (in the mainstream) have the much, I doubt a 'normal' computer will be able to run it.

Well, I still think that they're ussing some assets for publicity purposes only. Tell me, why making the best engine if no one will be able to play a game that is based on it?
In this time, yes it's sad, but all producers wants to get "more and more" money with their games, and building an engine that basically few people will play the game based on it, it's just non sense.
That's the thing it works, say something to shock ... the rumor will spread, great publicity, and then great sellings of the game.
And as for the techniques used in the engine, there sure are some innovative ones. Though, even if I know them, I am not allowed to say anything due to their license.
Just remember they're the 1st using some techs :)

awesome.....maybe i can OC my 9600xt 256mb enough to play it in 2006 LMAO im kiddin

Maybe I missed someone saying this twice in a row, but I'm pretty sure full glory requires SM3.0, due to ALL the depth being calculated rather than drawing a bazillion polygons.
My poor Radeon :(

This article would indicate that SM 3.0 is not striclty required:

B3D: More on shader models. With the GeForce 6 (and presumably other future SM 3.0 parts from other Independent Hardware Vendors) being made available, do you prefer Pixel Shader 3.0 and writing "fallbacks" Pixel Shader 2.0, or do you prefer 2.0 and write extra codes for 3.0 usage? What about Vertex Shader 3.0? Will it be used for effects that can't be done on Vertex Shader 2.0 hardware? What examples would those effects be?

Sweeney: A major design goal of Unreal Engine 3 is that designers should never, ever have to think about "fallback" shaders, as Unreal Engine 2 and past mixed-generation DirectX6/7/8/9 engines relied on. We support everything everywhere, and use new hardware features like PS3.0 to implement optimizations: reducing the number of rendering passes to implement an effect, to reduce the number of SetRenderTarget operations needed by performing blending in-place, and so on. Artists create an effect, and it's up to the engine and runtime to figure out how to most efficiently render it faithfully on a given hardware architecture.

does anyone know where i can download the unreal modling tool used to create things in unreal engine 2 or 3?

Lets see.. that's the engine being used for: Brothers in Arms 3, UT 2007, Gears of War, the next iteration of America's Army, eventually Red Orchestra 2, Huxley, and tonnes of others coming out this year and the next.

Yes, but the application is already out, i want to be able to create models like the ones used in those games. Blender is getting old. If no one can find the one for engine 3, i am okay with engine 2, i just need to know where to find the editing program.

Uhh... What? It's not a modeling program, it's a game engine. They probably used 3DSMax to do those models.

what exactly do u mean by 'game engine'? What does it do if it doesnt do modeling?

It will render modles, but it's not really used for creating them, if that's what you mean. Why? What are you going to use it for?

lithium726 said:
yeah, unreal3 is showcasing the engine, just like unreal2 did for UE2. as of now, there are a few companies who have licensed the engine, but AFAIK, no games based on it have been announced.

Lineage 3 from Ncsoft will use Unreal 3 :p as its already lisenced! and in development ^^

Digital Viper-X- said:
Lineage 3 from Ncsoft will use Unreal 3 :p as its already lisenced! and in development ^^
I made that post almost a year and a half ago :p

rian222

It depends on what you really want to do with it. Any unreal game comes with the editor built in for creating levels and simple geometry models out of brushes. If you want to make more complex 3d models for in game use you can use almost any 3d modeling package out there. For UT2K4 most people use maya whitch you can get for free (maya ple that is) by going to alias's web site or just googleing maya ple. Youll also need to get a ple plug in called "actor x" witch should be on the web site as well. If you really want to learn I suggest you pick up the special edition of UT2K4 whitch has hours of video tutorials on the bonus dvd on just these sort of things. Also you can go here http://www.3dbuzz.com they have more great video tutorials (they made the ones on the dvd) and a great community to help you get started

rian222 said:
does anyone know where i can download the unreal modling tool used to create things in unreal engine 2 or 3?

Thread resurrection is bad, mmmkay?

Back