• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Unofficial Mass Effect for PC Discussion Thread

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
5,220
Hi all!

Sorry if someone already made a thread like this.

I would like to know about everyone's experiences as I soon will be picking up a copy when I have the chance.

-Does anyone have problems running the game?
-If so, what kind of problems?
-Is Securom actually less communist than Bioshock's?
-How is the performance on your computer? At what settings & resolution?
-Anyone think that it may be a worthy game for Hardforum to use for reviewing video cards?
-What's with the skedaddle about ATI cards performing better than Nvidia in this game, a la Assassin's Creed?
 
- I had a weird stuttering problem at first. The game had a small drop in frames every second. It wasn't too detrimental to the gameplay but I had to find a way to fix it. Turns out Vsync was the culprit.
- I don't know, I D2D'd the game.
- It runs 45+FPS, oftentimes at 60. I guess that would make the average around the low 50's? (1680x1050, everything on & ultra high, no vsync)
- well my card practically eats it up and it's not the newest card on the market. I wouldn't think so.
- I have no idea.
 
Odd mouse problem on mine...

In game, when I move my mouse around without touching a button on the keyboard or mouse it studders like crazy. If I hold a button down on the keyboard or mouse and move it around it works fine. Only thing I didn't try is a new mouse and keyboard, my temporary "fix" is to tape down a key on my keybooard :D :( -mouse is a mx revolution, keyboard is a g15.


Other than that runs great with everything on the highest setting, 1680x1050 res.
 
Odd mouse problem on mine...

In game, when I move my mouse around without touching a button on the keyboard or mouse it studders like crazy. If I hold a button down on the keyboard or mouse and move it around it works fine. Only thing I didn't try is a new mouse and keyboard, my temporary "fix" is to tape down a key on my keybooard :D :( -mouse is a mx revolution, keyboard is a g15.


Other than that runs great with everything on the highest setting, 1680x1050 res.

Err, I hope that I won't get such problems too because I have a G15 keyboard. :eek:
 
I decided that I wouldn't pick up this game if there was no first person view for PC and dumb console things like autoaim were kept.
 
I had problems with the game crashing on startup, but running it as an administrator seems to have fixed the problem (Vista 64bit).

Other than that it's running great - good framerate on my 8800GTS.
 
am thinking of gettin it on d2d, first time ive used d2d. Ive used steam in past for alot of games. I like that type of setup. But does anyone know if i get it through d2d, do i have to mess with the activation stuff, and dreaded 3 for free reinstalls before contacting some person in tech support.
 
I wouldn't suggest D2D...

If you install the D2D version more than 3 times you have to renew your license.
 
Sooooooo, basically you just want to play an FPS.

Well, it's more like I have never been able to enjoy behind-player 3rd person because it takes all immersion out of it. I game because I like to vicariously see and explore the world around me and I need to be in 1st person for it to have any effect. 3rd person just seems so wierd, disembodied and floating behind your character. I keep wanting my ugly body to get out of the way, it's blocking my view of an otherwise beautiful game!!! Mostly I'm an old adventure gamer and I like to stop and stare at the sights. I would be fine with 3rd person if I could sometimes go into first person just to look around, stare out a window into space, look at the horizon...or just examine in detail something that is right in front of me. With Assasins' Creed, I was so frustrated that they implemented a 1st person look around but it was always the eagle vision which made everything blue and high contrast. I sold my console version and quit playing. I have the same feelings with GTA. I basically can't really enjoy the game all that much unless I'm in the car in the inside view. I can't stand staring at Nico's back running around, it makes me quite dizzy because the 3rd person camera is quite bad and jumps and distorts your perspective. Oblivion proved you could have an RPG that was in first person (and also offer the choice of 3rd person).
 
I decided that I wouldn't pick up this game if there was no first person view for PC and dumb console things like autoaim were kept.

You realize its possible for companies to make games that are not FPS games, right? :rolleyes:

UPDATE: Ok I aww you replied and explained a bit more :p
 
ok, i was hopeing they would release it on steam also, but according to biowares forum it doesnt look like its going to happen :(. So i guess am still on the fence in purchasing this game, if the game came without all these activation limits, i would go out and buy it today....


Stardock spoiled me...
 
I decided that I wouldn't pick up this game if there was no first person view for PC and dumb console things like autoaim were kept.

Auto-Aim is almost needed since the targeting reticule is basically just a damn circle and you try to get the enemy as close to the center of that circle as possible. It's kind of annoying but I'm playing as an Infiltrator and using the Sniper rifle mostly until it overheats, then I switch to pistol. I actually had to go through all 4 weapons in a fight last night due to all of them overheating. I can live with it though becuase it's an RPG (more of a hybrid RPG), not a FPS. I expect Fallout 3 to be similar.
 
Auto-Aim is almost needed since the targeting reticule is basically just a damn circle and you try to get the enemy as close to the center of that circle as possible. It's kind of annoying but I'm playing as an Infiltrator and using the Sniper rifle mostly until it overheats, then I switch to pistol. I actually had to go through all 4 weapons in a fight last night due to all of them overheating. I can live with it though becuase it's an RPG (more of a hybrid RPG), not a FPS. I expect Fallout 3 to be similar.

I expect Fallout 3 to be more like Oblivion. Oblivion proved that a deep and intensive RPG was perfectly capable of being done in first person view. I've already tried to make clearer my views on the 1st and 3rd person options and I would simply like the choice to be there since my primary purpose of gaming is to vicariously step into someone else's shoes and see the world through their eyes - not spend the whole time staring at the back of their head or their behind with a disembodied camera. It's simply not natural or enjoyable to me. The game doesn't even need any action or shooting. I just want to walk through and explore another world (like RealMyst). If you are going to have shooting though, without any real-life precision like what you would get in an FPS is terribly insufferable trying to aim with a circle or the strange console over the shoulder at an angle views. It's so slow and limiting to the possibilities of gameplay. You might as well take out shooting altogether.

I simply want the choice and many games prove that a hybrid approach is totally possible and also enjoyable. Both Oblivion with the ability to scroll in and out of 1st and 3rd person views and also strangely enough, Rainbow Six Vegas with the great implementation of the duck/cover system that switches to 3rd person when you use it. That would be good for the duck/cover system of Mass Effect...otherwise most 3rd person (especially console ones) have very annoying systems where the threshold of where you duck and cover is so hard to control. Otherwise I prefer to play in first person. I can choose exactly how much cover I want, how much I want to creep forward, and it's even better with lean.
 
Auto-Aim is almost needed since the targeting reticule is basically just a damn circle and you try to get the enemy as close to the center of that circle as possible. It's kind of annoying but I'm playing as an Infiltrator and using the Sniper rifle mostly until it overheats, then I switch to pistol. I actually had to go through all 4 weapons in a fight last night due to all of them overheating. I can live with it though becuase it's an RPG (more of a hybrid RPG), not a FPS. I expect Fallout 3 to be similar.

ya as you progress and put more points into sniping, it's goign to be awesome :) Right now it's frustrating I'm sure. But ya just remember it's not so much about skill in the sense that you play a fps since it's not. Rpg based on your stats and weapon.
 
ya as you progress and put more points into sniping, it's goign to be awesome :) Right now it's frustrating I'm sure. But ya just remember it's not so much about skill in the sense that you play a fps since it's not. Rpg based on your stats and weapon.

Bethseda addressed that issue awhile back regarding the FPS/RPG skill/stat argument. I think they made a good one that while in a real RPG, proper role playing and stats should be the main factor in how well your character can aim, there is absolutely no reason that your natural ability to point and click should be adversly affected or sacrificed just for stats. It's perfectly possible to implement both an RPG stat system where you improve as you gain skills or level up and also have a natural feeling pointing and aiming system. All that needs to be done is that put in some random variables like random shots not hitting the target until you level up, or add some unsteadiness to the aim so it's difficult to control the reticle, or simple recoil or other factors that handicap your natural skill with stat based factors.
 
I expect Fallout 3 to be more like Oblivion. Oblivion proved that a deep and intensive RPG was perfectly capable of being done in first person view. I've already tried to make clearer my views on the 1st and 3rd person options and I would simply like the choice to be there since my primary purpose of gaming is to vicariously step into someone else's shoes and see the world through their eyes - not spend the whole time staring at the back of their head or their behind with a disembodied camera. It's simply not natural or enjoyable to me. The game doesn't even need any action or shooting. I just want to walk through and explore another world (like RealMyst). If you are going to have shooting though, without any real-life precision like what you would get in an FPS is terribly insufferable trying to aim with a circle or the strange console over the shoulder at an angle views. It's so slow and limiting to the possibilities of gameplay. You might as well take out shooting altogether.

I simply want the choice and many games prove that a hybrid approach is totally possible and also enjoyable. Both Oblivion with the ability to scroll in and out of 1st and 3rd person views and also strangely enough, Rainbow Six Vegas with the great implementation of the duck/cover system that switches to 3rd person when you use it. That would be good for the duck/cover system of Mass Effect...otherwise most 3rd person (especially console ones) have very annoying systems where the threshold of where you duck and cover is so hard to control. Otherwise I prefer to play in first person. I can choose exactly how much cover I want, how much I want to creep forward, and it's even better with lean.

The problem I have with first person in a lot of games used to be the floating head syndrome. Nothing ruined the immersion quite like looking down and not seeing a body. 3rd person camera solved that for me. However I do like first person for shooters where accuracy is at a paramount.

Arg, R6 Vegas. I would have been okay with the cover system if they kept the ability to lean (that way I wouldn't need the cover system). Sadly they didn't and you are forced to use the stupid cover fire system.
 
I haven't had any problems with the d2d version.

I am having some framerate issues, but only when I enter the citadel to meet with the council. I am at 1920x1200 max settings with the setup in my sig. Anybody else noticed this?
 
I have this game for the 360, and LOVE it!

The only way I would buy it for PC, though, is if the MOD community starts coming out with some awesome stuff... and by awesome stuff I don't mean a nude mod for Chora's Den:p
 
It's not even out here in the UK. 5 day countdown on D2D :(

I see IGN gave it 92%.
 
Doesn't this look/feel awkward though? You want to admire the sense of scale of a beautiful building in the distance but you are stuck looking over somebody's shoulder at an angle and you can never get the camera how you want?
21527masseffectpc011280lz9.jpg


Or you are trying to survive in a fireflight but the camera locks you into a claustrophobic over the shoulder side-view that blocks off your ability to look to the left and hampers your mobility or quick reflexes?
21528masseffectpc021280oo8.jpg


I haven't played Mass Effect although I have had several other console titles that have the similar console aiming system like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and it just made me cringe and hate all the sequences.
 
I think I just fell in love with Bioware. I just registered my key so that I could get Bring Down the Sky when it's released and decided to peruse their forums. I found this little thread ( http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=630454&forum=125 ) where someone asked why the game doesn't suport the 360 pad or any pad at all. The response:
Mass Effect for the PC does NOT support or work with controllers period.

Mass Effect for PC was designed to interface with a keyboard and mouse combination, so much so the team spent a lot of time creating the tactical HUD to take advantage of the keyboard and mouse. As such, it no longer works with controllers.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and misinformation on my part. On the bright side, if you are playing on the PC, you do have a keyboard and mouse, so you can still enjoy the game as it was designed to be played.

This really made me happy because for once it shows a developer really does care about making the game truly better when they port it from the console. It's just one more thing to the list besides the better interface, controls, resolution, etc.
 
Doesn't this look/feel awkward though? You want to admire the sense of scale of a beautiful building in the distance but you are stuck looking over somebody's shoulder at an angle and you can never get the camera how you want?

Or you are trying to survive in a fireflight but the camera locks you into a claustrophobic over the shoulder side-view that blocks off your ability to look to the left and hampers your mobility or quick reflexes?

I haven't played Mass Effect although I have had several other console titles that have the similar console aiming system like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and it just made me cringe and hate all the sequences.

OK man...we get it. You don't like over the shoulder games. Why are you continuing to drive home this point? It's a preference and others don't have a problem with it. No need for you to keep pushing your views on everyone else. I don't see anyone else trying to force you to like it.
 
I agree. I thought I made this thread to discuss about Mass Effect and other potentially similar games but not about people's personal point of views on third-person view games. Mass Effect is more of a glorified Oblivion game in space, no?
 
OK man...we get it. You don't like over the shoulder games. Why are you continuing to drive home this point? It's a preference and others don't have a problem with it. No need for you to keep pushing your views on everyone else. I don't see anyone else trying to force you to like it.

Well, I'm just hoping that there are others who also like a first person optional view and the faint hope that that would maybe translate into a user made mod to accomplish this. Then again, I have relatives that work at Bioware. Maybe I should just petition them :cool:
 
I think I just fell in love with Bioware. I just registered my key so that I could get Bring Down the Sky when it's released and decided to peruse their forums. I found this little thread ( http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=630454&forum=125 ) where someone asked why the game doesn't suport the 360 pad or any pad at all. The response:


This really made me happy because for once it shows a developer really does care about making the game truly better when they port it from the console. It's just one more thing to the list besides the better interface, controls, resolution, etc.

I <3 Bioware as well. If it wasn't their game I probably wouldn't be jumping through the hoops to play the game.
 
I agree. I thought I made this thread to discuss about Mass Effect and other potentially similar games but not about people's personal point of views on third-person view games. Mass Effect is more of a glorified Oblivion game in space, no?

it is way more linear than Oblivion, so other than its status as an rpg I would say no, it is not like Oblivion in space.
 
RPGs are all about character development for me, if i can feel the people in the game are real, with real personalities and i care about them, then its an excellent game for me.

I have never seen a bioware game where this hasnt been done excellently, they are the king of content when it comes to story and characters in my opinion.
 
RPGs are all about character development for me, if i can feel the people in the game are real, with real personalities and i care about them, then its an excellent game for me.

I have never seen a bioware game where this hasnt been done excellently, they are the king of content when it comes to story and characters in my opinion.

Jade Empire?
 
Although it was one of their lesser games, i still had a lot of fun with Jade Empire. Moreso than that obsidian rushjob that was KOTORII (hopefully soon to be fixed)
 
Just for those who still think these copy protections are any good, there's already a torrent version of this with a cracked executable, which means, play forever and reinstall forever. lulz
 
Woah woah waoh, those ss seem to point that it has some sort of night time daytime scheme... Cool, too bad I won't get it.
 
Just for those who still think these copy protections are any good, there's already a torrent version of this with a cracked executable, which means, play forever and reinstall forever. lulz

Yipee..:rolleyes:
 
Bioware make good game but unfortunately they ship the first feature complete alpha build they get. I've never seen a developer with such buggy games. I'm just glad they did do the engine this time.
 
Back
Top