unofficial E4300 overclocking database

Xilikon

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2008
I know there is a database of C2D overclockings pinned but I'm curious what is the ballpark results with the new E4300 so everyone can see what is the true potential of those little gems. I'm especially curious to see how many ppl can reach the 3.6 GHz point for a true 100% overclocking.

To help get a nice picture of each result, I would like everyone to list :

-E4300 stepping and other cpu data.
-Motherboard
-Memory specs

If possible, a picture would be nice.

The true potential of these little gems can be determined by following the same rules and procedures that all the other processor types have to following in the official Conroe overclocking database thread. So I suggest read up on the rules, get a stable overclocking bench and post your results in that thread, I would like to see them. Otherwise the comparison is pretty meaningless, let's compare apples-to-apples here.

Should have my rig up and running this week. P5N-E and e4300 on a dual watercooling loop.

please don't start a separate thread for this. it would be much easier to see the results in the main database.

The database is the official Conroe overclocking database...the 4300 is an Allendale. Technically, this should be in a different thread, or a mod could change the name of the sticky to the "Official Core 2 Overclocking Database" or something like that, which would probably be best.

There are already E4300 results in the Conroe database, and the title of the thread is already being changed. Please your results in the official Conroe overclocking thread, the title will be updated later.

Conroe and Allendale are different chips. This needs a separate thread IMHO. 800FSB vs, 1066 makes it different.

E6300s and E6400s are Allendales and they've been in the Conroe database forever.

The QX6700 and Q6600 are in there too. They're working on changing the name of the thread.

Anyway, please take your results there. Breaking this out into a separate thread is just going to make it harder to compare everything for everyone and for no good reason.

AFAIK, the 6400 and 6300 are not Allendales, just Conroes w/ half the cache disabled. Just change the thread title and update the results and everything will be ok.

Well whatever, I've already got this thread open :p

I've got mine at only 3.0ghz. I've had it on a DS3 and a P5B Deluxe/Wifi, NEITHER of them would even post with the chip at anything above ~355mhz FSB. P5B ran a pentium D at 4ghz rock stable at 100% load for 2 months before receiving it's cpu upgrade.

While 3ghz isn't a bad overclock starting at 1.8, I'm very disappointed. Not in it's overclocking ability, but at the fact that even lowering the multiplier to 6x, it won't post at 400mhz. I know the boards are capable of it, but with this chip in there, it won't do it. 200 to 400mhz is a big jump no matter what the multiplier. I think that's the sacrafice we're making to get a "cheaper" chip.

I should be getting my e4300 and p5b-e from newegg tomorrow. I've got some Gskill ddr2 800, so I'll see what I can pump out.

I'll post in both threads as this chip is different enough to warrant its own topic but I think it is important to post the data in the Core 2 Duo thread as well. This way we can help each other over the rough spots without cluttering up the bigger, more general thread.

Hmmm, the official thread has some rigid rules about screen-shots etc. I'll have to go back and collect data tonight in order to post to that thread.

How can I collect all that CPU data like week-number? Any way to get it without removing the heatsink? To pull the Ninja off I'll have to remove the motherboard from the case which is a real PITA.

UNOFFICIALLY however, I found 366x9=3.29 GHz to be trivially easy on my E4300 & DS3(f10). I set the RAM multiple to 2.0 so RAM only at 732. Was looking to just OC the processor not the RAM to keep things simple. I wasn't really messing around with the voltages either left that set to AUTO. Ran stable for 2 days in normal desktop use, also ran the HL2: Lost Coast stress test a dozen times and played BF2 for 3 hours. I did briefly try setting to 400 FSB didn't boot. Will revisit later. I am replacing the dinky chipset heatsink with a ThermalRight HR-05 soon, so that may help with higher FSB. It'll be a good time to pull the Ninja to check the CPU markings also.

Haven't really spent a lot of time twiddling the OC stuff in years, was lots of fun in the Celeron-300A days. My system until last month was a Celeron 1.1(Tualatin) OC'd to 1.4, so this is my first "new Celeron" in many years!

Same here. My last OC was my P4 1.6A northwood. That thing was a beast, I ran it at 2.8ghz all day for 4 years and its still running great. My northwood has set the bar pretty high so the e4300 has alot to fill.

The main reason I made this unofficial database is because the E4X00 are Allendales. But if we rename the real database to "Core 2 Duo", I wouldn't mind it.

However, here isn't about a "official" database so we should welcome general data, not the exact things asked in the other database and something owners of the Allendales could refer when doing overclocking attempts to know the ballpark.

The conroe thread is getting a revision i think because of all the quads in there now and soon there'll be alot of allendales as well. I'll keep looking at both threads eagerly.

Hmmm, the official thread has some rigid rules about screen-shots etc. I'll have to go back and collect data tonight in order to post to that thread.

How can I collect all that CPU data like week-number? Any way to get it without removing the heatsink? To pull the Ninja off I'll have to remove the motherboard from the case which is a real PITA.

You have to pull the heatsink to get that data. The stringent rules are absolutely necessary to keep things on a level playing field and get accurate usable data.
1. If you don't have the stepping info then there is no way to truly compare chip bins and find the winners.
2. If you don't have an Orthos minimum run-time requirement, with screenshot, then you'll have all kinds of wild eyed OC numbers based on nothing more than the guy got the thing to load the OS long enough to get a screenshot. Those are nice to know figures but a stable overclock is what everyone really needs to know.
3, The more contributors the more useful the data base.

Id hate to take off my HSF just to find the information. Can the information be found on the box? It really is a PITA when working with larger heatsinks. Im kicking myself in the ass for not taking a pic before installing. I just got mine up to 3.0ghz stable for 5 hours and its still going.

Id hate to take off my HSF just to find the information. Can the information be found on the box? It really is a PITA when working with larger heatsinks. Im kicking myself in the ass for not taking a pic before installing. I just got mine up to 3.0ghz stable for 5 hours and its still going.

LOL, I hear ya. Waterblocks are no walk in the park either. :rolleyes: I learned my lesson about stepping the same way as you and now make sure I write it down and post it somehere is a forum so I can always go back and find it.

CPUz may give you the info they need to post on the other thread.

I pulled the system apart to put the HR-05 on the Northbridge, so I yanked the Ninja off to look at the CPU. These are the markings, which one is the week?

Intel '05
Intel Core 2 Duo
4300 SL9TB Malay
1.80 GHz/2M/800/06
Q640A520

(lower down)
2L64872
2A1399

Couldn't we just use the Intel TAT program and click "START" on both CPU's?

This program seems to load up both cores quite well, from the resulting temps it looks like an even harsher load than Orthos.

My E4300 is SL9TB Malay Batch # Q640A458. I popped it into a Gigabyte DS3 Version 2 with the F10 Bios. I did pretty much the same as vincentfox upped my FSB to 350 and left everything else at auto and I hit 3150Mhz no problem. Only thing I don't like is that my CPU voltage is bumped up to 1.4125 so I'm gonna start lowering the CPU voltage to see if it's stable with lower volatge. What is more accurate for CPU temps, Core Temp or Intel TAT I get a 10 degree difference between the two. If I run Orthos Core Temp reads 50 degrees while TAT reads 61 degrees. Also I think TAT does push the CPU harder if you use it to stress test cause my temps go higher stressing the CPU with TAT than they due when running Orthos.

I ran 3 programs and got 3 different results on my now-idle E4300 system:

Intel TAT v2.05.2006.0427: 44C
RightMark CPU Clock Utility v2.2: 18C
CoreTemp Beta 0.94: 27C

Crazy!

After rebooting the system and going into the BIOS it was showing about 32C. So that puts CoreTemp as the closest to correct.

i didn't take a screenshot of Orthos but i ran it for 4 hours and it didn't fail

im hoping to get 3.46 out of it, i can boot in but haven't gotten teh time to fully tweak it at that speed yet

mycomputer.JPG

I can boot at 3330 but so far I haven't been able to get it stable, I think I might have to go to more extreme meassures of cooling. Right now I am using a Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

i didn't take a screenshot of Orthos but i ran it for 4 hours and it didn't fail

im hoping to get 3.46 out of it, i can boot in but haven't gotten teh time to fully tweak it at that speed yet

What CPU voltage are you using?

I am hoping to see more results in this thread as I should have an E4300 here next week. I am going to be using an Abit IB9 motherboard with it and some Patriot PC6400 C4.

I hope to have this case mod done on Friday and will have the rig up that night. e4300 on and Asus P5N-E with dual watercooling loops (3/8" fpr chipsets and 1/2" for the CPU).

C2D E4300 @ 3.294Ghz 9x365 4-3-3-7 2t
Crucial Ballistix 2 x 1GB DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) @269.00 $ 1 day sale at the Egg!
Asus P5N-E Sli 0401
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

ran Orthos for 3 hours @ blend,and a few memtest86 overnights,went fine.A 4 hour FEAR
single player marathon was the real test,as I also encoded a few eps of Hogans Heroes in the background,with no probs or errors.With orthos it topped out at 54c @ 1.4v I didnt
bother to write stepping down,but will with the next build.

I really wanted to just have my e4300 @ 3.0ghz, but now that i see more people OCing the chip, it makes me want to go higher.:p Im going to try and see what I can get up to tonight

in the article it shows they were only able to get that high because everything else they tried after gave them a bsod.

Well, I got my rig up and running and i'm very impressed with this lil thing.

I booted her up and idle temps showed 28c-30c on a stock intel hsf.

Cranked it up a bit at 2.4 and the idle temps were still the same. Flawless

2.6 no sweat

2.8 and temps finally are around 30-32c idle, 33-35c load. At 1.31v

This thing has so much more room its not even funny. Imma hit the big 3, and run orthos overnight.

Temps were from Coretemp.

My setup - Asus P5B-E, e4300, 2gb Gskill DDR2-800, all housed in my Antec Solo.

Back