Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

Hi guys, I've spent a few days tinkering with the settings on my 2405FPW, ... and I've come up with some odd settings compared to you.

I wanted to find the best way to darken the blacks but retain the brightness and contrast of games (most notably dark scenes). I ended up putting the brightness to 0, and bumping up the RGB to ~50 for all three colors.

I found that the brightness setting affects the brightness of the darks, but the RGB values do not, and these settings seem to give the best contrast between darks and brights. Colors are vidid... it looks splendid :)

Am I insane? :D

That page had me end up increasing my Gamma in my NVidia display properties to 1.31.

I find this odd, since most people seem to be decreasing their gamma using this display.

That sounds like a reasonable thing to do. Make sure you aren't over-driving the lighter shades; that is, the very light grays should still appear dimmer than pure white.

qdemn7 said:
Where are the 2405s being shipped from to US addresses?

mine shipped from Secacuse, NJ and i live in Rochester, NY so i should have mine today

Yaka said:
does anyone here have the Ergotron 300 monitor arm install with thier 2405? just wana know if it has vesa 75mm mount or 100mm. ?

100mm.

My dual 2405fpw's. Looked at both very well so far. No dead/stuck pixels and no backlight problems, as of yet anyway.

IMG_0114.JPG

LittleMe said:
My dual 2405fpw's. Looked at both very well so far. No dead/stuck pixels and no backlight problems, as of yet anyway.
]

nice setup, also my girlfriend has those exact same speakers.... strange

subrandom said:
nice setup, also my girlfriend has those exact same speakers.... strange

There those really nice Bose speakers. For them just being those 2 spears and no sub, they put out quite a bit of power and sound awsome.

when i put my lcd at 1920x1200, my internet explorer's text is too small. i have adjusted my text size to 200dpi in advanced properties and explorers text "larger" setting.

when i do this things still do not look right. some of the text still looks small and pictures off center.

the only way i can make it work is set my display to ~1280xwhatever. this looks ok but i would like to have the higher resolution. are there any drawbacks to doing this?

thanks

I have Firefox and Opera and like the text on Opera much better. Opera 8 is the sweetest browser out there now. I liked Firefox until Opera came out with their new 8 version. It makes Firefox look like a basic open source browser.

hey guys,

it doesnt mention it on the website for the sound bar, but does anyone know if the sound bar can be attached to the 2405FPW???

BONDS said:
hey guys,

it doesnt mention it on the website for the sound bar, but does anyone know if the sound bar can be attached to the 2405FPW???

Duh, did u ever look in the manual? or read this thread? :rolleyes: In short, yes, and it has been discussed already :D

TehQuick said:
Duh, did u ever look in the manual? or read this thread? :rolleyes: In short, yes, and it has been discussed already :D

Manuals are for Noobs :)

*Just an update on my 2405fpw. All my buddies are still blown away by its size! The only game that I play on it is Return to Castle Wolfenstein, but being able to nearly fit 3 webpages across is really nice. I use word and exel a ton so at times it is nice to be able to see the AA columns and beyond!

Because of the narrow viewing angle (contrast/color fades a bit when looking at the screen off axis) I made the following adjustments to help minimizing this change.

_Via DVI input_

:eek: 2405fpw monitor settings:
Brightness: 25
Color: Normal Preset (sRGB) {NTSC 6500k standard}

:rolleyes: ATI x800 Pro video card, I set the ati color settings as:
Gamma: 0.80
Brightness: -25
Contrast: 100

Regular computer activities and computer gaming look great with these settings...at least for me. I didn't make any adjustments for video overlay because it looks perfect...atleast THX optimizer tells me so.

PS...Opera does rule!

Hello,

I just received my 2405, but when I try to access the service menu per these instructions, nothing happens. Did Dell change the key combination to get into the service menu?

Thanks,
Shawn

1) Hold menu and '+' buttons (3rd and 5th buttons from left) while powering on the unit.
2) Press menu button (5th button from left) and select "Factory Reset"
3) Select "Factory" at the bottom of the menu.

fraXis said:
Hello,

I just received my 2405, but when I try to access the service menu per these instructions, nothing happens. Did Dell change the key combination to get into the service menu?

Thanks,
Shawn

1) Hold menu and '+' buttons (3rd and 5th buttons from left) while powering on the unit.
2) Press menu button (5th button from left) and select "Factory Reset"
3) Select "Factory" at the bottom of the menu.

Line 2 should say 3rd button from the left, not 5th.

kkapoor said:
Line 2 should say 3rd button from the left, not 5th.

I can't even get the menu to come up (holding the 3rd and 5th buttons from the left while powering up).

fraXis said:
I can't even get the menu to come up (holding the 3rd and 5th buttons from the left while powering up).

Holding down those buttons only unlocks the service menu, u still have to navigate thru the regular menu :rolleyes:

fraXis said:

Make sure you're holding them down prior to hitting the power button too :)

Finally made the plunge, ordered Wednesday, received Friday (4/22). First LCD experience... Haven't noticed any dead or stuck pixels. IQ looks great.

Picture of the new addition, next to one of my FW900s.

TehQuick said:
Holding down those buttons only unlocks the service menu, u still have to navigate thru the regular menu :rolleyes:

Thanks for clarification on unlocking (vs. accessing) the service menu :)

exe said:

thanks i just removed the screen to stick it on the ergotron arm. but the holes in the dell screen already have screws in, do you just remove these and use them to fix the ergotron arm back on or are they holding something else in side the 2405 tft screen?

i realy wish you could get a simple click on vesa mount for ergotron arms like the standard dell stand

I got mine a couple of days now. I like it a lot. No dead pixels or light bleeding that i can see. The only thing that i can say negative about this monitor is very low level of buzzing sound coming from i believe power supply. Do i have to consider sending back for replacement or is it normal for this model?

skane said:
Finally made the plunge, ordered Wednesday, received Friday (4/22). First LCD experience... Haven't noticed any dead or stuck pixels. IQ looks great.

Picture of the new addition, next to one of my FW900s.

Thanks for clarification on unlocking (vs. accessing) the service menu :)

Hi
Can you tell me which you think is the better monitor - either the Sony FW900 or the Dell, say for colour reproduction and gaming?
Cheers
ISaac

IsaacS said:
Hi
Can you tell me which you think is the better monitor - either the Sony FW900 or the Dell, say for colour reproduction and gaming?
Cheers
ISaac

I wonder if this guy believes now that 2405 is REALLY using the latest Samsung 8ms panel :p

I plan on using the 2405 as a flat screen HDTV as well as a computer monitor.

My main concern are the viewing angles, is that an issue at all with this monitor? Most of the time, I should be pretty much in front of the screen, but want to make sure it looks good from most of the room. Is anyone else using it for this too?

anyone get their monitor shipped to them through DHL? I haven't ever had dealing with them but they seem as bad or worse than UPS. I should find out first hand how they work out tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has had to use them yet?

DHL are cool...I bought a 42" Plasma TV over the net and they had DHL deliver it to my house in a van. :) There was no problems and the guy helped me carry it into the house.

One more question about the monitor...is it easy to switch through the inputs and enable PIP/PBP?

Wenty said:
DHL are cool...I bought a 42" Plasma TV over the net and they had DHL deliver it to my house in a van. :) There was no problems and the guy helped me carry it into the house.

i like everything about that story, however i would have liked the story better if the 42" plasma tv went to my houes instead :p

SB22 said:
One more question about the monitor...is it easy to switch through the inputs and enable PIP/PBP?

Very easy. first click is PIP, second click is PBP, third click is back to normal. you can change the PIP/PBP source very easy as well.

I have a question if no one minds ...

I have a really old LCD that has absolutely terrible viewing angles. For example, if you rotate the monitor up/down it gets substantially darker / lighter, meaning if you move your head a bit you see this change as well. Rotating left and right seems to wash the colours out pretty well too. It's pretty annoying, forcing me use my CRT most of the time.

Now, I haven't seen any of these newer LCDs, like the Dell 2405, so I was just curious if viewing angles were really bad or not?

SB22 said:
I plan on using the 2405 as a flat screen HDTV as well as a computer monitor.

My main concern are the viewing angles, is that an issue at all with this monitor? Most of the time, I should be pretty much in front of the screen, but want to make sure it looks good from most of the room. Is anyone else using it for this too?

Viewing angles are definitely a weakness of this monitor. Don't get it if that's a major concern of yours. The screen is a little lighter at each edge just sitting in front of it. That's part weakness of the screen and part "it's a big f-ing screen". At even mderate angles the wash-out becomes very noticeable.

Fortunately for me, I only use it as a PC monitor, and the slight wash-out at the edges doesn't bother me much considering its other strengths.

Back