Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

chrism said:
Do you use your 2405 in a well-lit room? Those settings seem pretty dim.
this is my office in the evening: http://www.e-volutionmedia.nl/temp/dell2405.jpg (2 week old photo)
during the day its brighter. but because every monitor is different my exact settings wont always work for the next guy. I found it pretty dim as well, however it is correct. It's really one or the other, either go for a very bright and colorfull setup or for one that matches print output. You'll get used to it in minutes.

Using test patterns I have determined these settings work for a gamma of 2.0 almost perfectly.

Brightness - 27 points
Gamma - .9
RGB - 36,33,32

Hey fellas,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on what looks better on this monitor VGA or DVI.

thanks
bonds

BONDS said:
Hey fellas,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on what looks better on this monitor VGA or DVI.

thanks
bonds

S-video :D Seriously though, who in sane mind would even consider using VGA if they have DVI? ;) :p

TehQuick said:
S-video :D Seriously though, who in sane mind would even consider using VGA if they have DVI? ;) :p

just wondering cuz i dont have DVI

just wanted to know if there is a major picture quality difference?

Well if u have only VGA, than u don't have any choice. It's advisable though to get a vidcard with DVI to improve signal quality. It's not a huge difference but it's present, esp. on such huge display like 2405 ;) Cheap DVI cards can be had for about $50 if u dont care about gaming

TehQuick said:
Well if u have only VGA, than u don't have any choice. It's advisable though to get a vidcard with DVI to improve signal quality. It's not a huge difference but it's present, esp. on such huge display like 2405 ;) Cheap DVI cards can be had for about $50 if u dont care about gaming

hey man,

can you help me with finding a video card that has DVI???

im not a gamer if that helps

thanks
bonds

BONDS said:
just wondering cuz i dont have DVI

just wanted to know if there is a major picture quality difference?

When I was playing around with both types on the 2404fpw, I noticed that when I used a resolution other than 1920x1200 I got a lot of image degredation with the vga cable and none that I could notice with the DVI.

I can't wait to get this monitor. Does anyone know if the $860 from dell is still good and has anyone tried ordering 2 for the $860 price tag?

Bonds, u r not a little kid and I am not gonna hold ur hand :D Do a search on newegg for videocards, pretty much all of them have DVI now and just pick the cheapest one.

Maverick, AFAIK, the $860 deal has been dead for a while. You have to try ur pursuasion skills on Dell reps maybe someone will offer a discount. Alternatively, if u work for a company that has an EPP account with Dell, u can try to go thru that and ask for $750 per 2405 ;)

Thanks for the reply TehQuick I'll see what I can do. I'll post back if I somehow get the monitor for that price. :)

Maverick-DBZ- said:
Thanks for the reply TehQuick I'll see what I can do. I'll post back if I somehow get the monitor for that price. :)

last i talked to them they said that they had just ended a deal (last weekend) on it and the rep i talked to said she would contact me if there was a price drop or deal of any kind.

I called DELL today over the phone and they wouldn't let me have it for $860. So I just said I give up I'll take it for $1,199 and then the person I was talking to told me they complety have run out of units and are back-ordered for 3+ weeks!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :(

I would go the eBay route but I don't trust some of the sellers there. Now I play the waiting game. :mad:

Maverick-DBZ- said:
I would go the eBay route but I don't trust some of the sellers there. Now I play the waiting game. :mad:

I went the ebay route, screw Dell. I got my 2405

..from this guy: professionsale

It was factory sealed box, perfect, ..and no dead pixels! I paid $999.00.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
hmm, good question, it BETTER!. It's no different than buying a Dell off newegg. I mean, I have the box, serial numbers are all there, and warranty paperwork was included.

edit: I just confirmed. Dell requires only the serial number on the LCD for both tech support & warranty coverage. They don't require proof of purchase. If I did get hassled with anything, I would just contact the ebay seller.

Well I finally gave in and placed my order. I can't stand to pay more than other people for the same product, and so I've had a hard time waiting for a good deal on this monitor since the price went up. But I think I got one today...

I own my own computer business, and talked to an agent to set up a business acount with Dell today (Dell Canada). I told him the first thing I wanted to buy was a 2405FPW and a 2005FPW (2405 for me, 2005 for a buddy). I told him I had seem them on special and wasn't willing to spend more than that, so he matched the prices.

I ended up paying $1750 Canadian for the two monitors. That's 1,423.46 US Dollars. That price includes shipping. I was told they would arrive before the end of April.

What do you think? That's a pretty good deal isn't it?

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched, and am off to read the entire 93 pages of this thread. Need to learn what has worked and has not worked for different people. Thanks to everyone who has posted their thoughts and feedback on the process. It's very useful for people who are considering purchasing this awesome monitor.

1750's quite good. 1000 is pretty much the best deal you can get on a 2405, and 750's the best deal a rep got me on my 2005 before I returned it.... and then purchased it for cost ($599 CAD) on that 1 day of the Dell 10-day sale ;)

But anyway, you got a very good deal - you should be happy. Dell Business is much more likely to give you a decent price than the regular overseas sales staff :rolleyes:

Wow, how'd you get 1000$ for the 2405?

I'd kill right now for a 2405 @ 1000$CDN

Bigred: do you really have a business? I recall that you don't need one for their small business section... wonder if I can pull off the same trick

Decelerate said:
Bigred: do you really have a business? I recall that you don't need one for their small business section... wonder if I can pull off the same trick

I do have my own business, but whether or not I intend to purchase many computers off of Dell remains to be seen. I have a hard time with computers that make it more difficult to upgrade when the time comes, which is why I usually don't go with Dell....but who knows...I'm thinking about it.

Did Dell ask me anything about my business besides the name? Nope...I just mentioned that on average, I purchase 10-15 new systems a month and was looking for some sort of account that would give me long-term price advantages in return for the higher volume of computers I would be purchasing. They sent me to a business rep, and we went from there...

I can't stand paying too much for things, and feel like this was a good deal. Glad to hear a couple of you do too... :)

bigred said:
I do have my own business, but whether or not I intend to purchase many computers off of Dell remains to be seen. I have a hard time with computers that make it more difficult to upgrade when the time comes, which is why I usually don't go with Dell....but who knows...I'm thinking about it.

Did Dell ask me anything about my business besides the name? Nope...I just mentioned that on average, I purchase 10-15 new systems a month and was looking for some sort of account that would give me long-term price advantages in return for the higher volume of computers I would be purchasing. They sent me to a business rep, and we went from there...

I can't stand paying too much for things, and feel like this was a good deal. Glad to hear a couple of you do too... :)

I've heard the company I work for buys a LOT of stuff from Dell every year, and our company allows employees (within reason) to benefit from the rebates awarded to us as we are a mid-sized account at dell. To give you an idea of the rebates we get, $1000 off a fully loaded laptop. ($4000 internet price to $3000 our price)

Dell 2405FP for $1000cdn + 15% taxes = I would be a very, very happy guy. I actually cannot believe that price ! (that's $935USD)

François

anyone with a geforce 4 card having problem running 2 of these screens?

a friend of mine can get one to display fine via dvi but the 2nd one via vga port is distored and picture is to the left

This may have been mentioned somewhere, but I couldn't see it...

How would I go about connecting a Sky digibox to a 2405fpw?

The box is a Panasonic.

Thanks
Chez

if the sky digi box has an svhs out then use that. but i think most of em have scart so you may get by with a scart to svhs cable, i tried it with my ntl box but it didnt work:/

They are coming standard at 50% Brightness now. Atleast mine did...

I gotta flip through all the threads and find the ideal color schema's. The colors definitely arent as vivid as the 2005 out of the box.

Just a follow up, thank you and a question.
First off I would like to thank the forum for this thread. I purchased this monitor because of all the feed back that this thread has.
I have had it now for 4 weeks and can not be happier with a monitor. It took 2 weeks for 2 dead pixels to show up but they are positioned at the top right. I can live with that. I do video rendering and DVD playing. No games.
The question is: What is the best settings for an Nvida 6800 for DVD and HD video playback. I know most of the settings have to do with game play but what settings make a difference in video playback? Is there any or do I just turn everything off to make it run its fastest? Any help would be appreciated.

Yaka said:
anyone with a geforce 4 card having problem running 2 of these screens?
a friend of mine can get one to display fine via dvi but the 2nd one via vga port is distored and picture is to the left
I've heard there are problems with most Nvidia cards when using two outputs at the same time with high resolution. Seems to be related to the integrated TDMS on the chip... Do some googling and I'm sure you'll find more.

Rembrandt said:
The question is: What is the best settings for an Nvida 6800 for DVD and HD video playback.
I seriously doubt that a 6800 will have any performance problems with DVD or HDTV playback regardless of the settings. My GF4-Ti4200 (2 generations older) can play DVDs without any problems scaled to 1920x1200, and with my XP2600+ I also managed to play some of the HDTV clips posted on Microsoft's website.

The only problem with the latter, is that if I put it to full screen, I have some horizontal image distortion (looks analog) even though I use the DVI. Probably related to running such a high resolution on a card as old as mine.

Hello,

This thread is so massive that it has become difficult to go through all the posts to find what I need.

But anyways, in the spirit of NOT starting a new thread, what about gaming on the 2405FP, and more specifically, what about Doom 3?

I know Doom 3 was not the greatest but it was a very, very dark game. Knowing the LCD's in general have more difficulty with black than CRT's, how is Doom 3 on the 2405FP?

I already need to play with brightness (in-game) for my Sony 21" CRT, I'd like to hear how gamers find the 2405fp with this game. Also, if you guys are playing at native res, what kind of videocard/cpu do you use for good results? (I have a 3400+ / 6800 Ultra)

Thanks

François

Lali said:
Hello,

This thread is so massive that it has become difficult to go through all the posts to find what I need.

But anyways, in the spirit of NOT starting a new thread, what about gaming on the 2405FP, and more specifically, what about Doom 3?

I know Doom 3 was not the greatest but it was a very, very dark game. Knowing the LCD's in general have more difficulty with black than CRT's, how is Doom 3 on the 2405FP?

I already need to play with brightness (in-game) for my Sony 21" CRT, I'd like to hear how gamers find the 2405fp with this game. Also, if you guys are playing at native res, what kind of videocard/cpu do you use for good results? (I have a 3400+ / 6800 Ultra)

Thanks

François

Doom 3 doesn't support widescreen, so you'll play at 1600X1200. I run it at 4XAA & 8XAF Ultra quality with dual 6800 Ultras in SLI, 3500+ and it looks fabulous!

AuroraProject said:
Doom 3 doesn't support widescreen, so you'll play at 1600X1200. I run it at 4XAA & 8XAF Ultra quality with dual 6800 Ultras in SLI, 3500+ and it looks fabulous!

Thanks for the info. And in very dark scenes, you can still have some contrast and see what is going on? For example there is a scene in a bathroom and it's so dark I can barely see.

I am starting to think I may have to go dual 6800 Ultra in SLI, with these huge resolutions, and unfortunately that would mean a complete mobo+cpu+videocard+power supply switch.

I'm on S754/AGP at the moment so the $1000 project might just become much more expensive.

Thanks

François

anyone know of any differences between firmware version 1.3 and 1.8 ... my original 2405 shows version 1.3 when i access the factory menu, but my replacement 2405 shows 1.8.

any way to flash upgrade the 1.3 to 1.8 or reason to?

thanks!

AuroraProject said:
Negative.

For Doom3 you need to create an autoexec.cfg and put it in the base subfolder. This file lets me have 16:10 1920x1200:
seta r_customHeight "1200"
seta r_customWidth "1920"
seta g_fov "100"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectratio "2"

flatman said:
anyone know of any differences between firmware version 1.3 and 1.8 ... my original 2405 shows version 1.3 when i access the factory menu, but my replacement 2405 shows 1.8.

any way to flash upgrade the 1.3 to 1.8 or reason to?

thanks!

Only difference I noticed on the 1.8 is that everything seems so much brighter right off the get-go. No warmup time!

does anyone here have the Ergotron 300 monitor arm install with thier 2405? just wana know if it has vesa 75mm mount or 100mm. ?

CalKenneth said:
Only difference I noticed on the 1.8 is that everything seems so much brighter right off the get-go. No warmup time!

That's interesting. I wonder if that's a software or hardware change. It sounds like a hardware change. Mine takes a bit of time to warm-up. It would be nice if it warmed up faster.

Back