Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

jdsabin1 said:
The backlighting issue should not be an issue at all. They are using a different manufacturer and a different technology as it relates to backlighting (I will go find the post on another forum if you'd like me to ... I have been scouring the net so hard since this was announced I just don't remember where I read that. Could have been AVS).

I called Dell to ask them if it was indeed going to be available for sale on March 1st. The Dell CSR's are complete tools. He gave me a link that did say Match 1st. I told him I already saw that but wondered if a human being could confirm. He said this was the first he's even heard of the monitor and didn't know. I get more info from anywhere BUT Dell and it's their product. Stupid.

Anyway, no pre-ordering allowed either as I tried that also.

A few days now *IF* it's available on March 1st. We'll see.

Apple, Sony, HP, Samsung ... all PO'd as Dell does the same thing they always do. They don't invent the technology, they wait until it matures, then blow the doors off pricing. That is a win/win for us consumers. Prior to this monitor it was the HP L2335 at $1500 that was the sweet pricepoint. Now we're looking at $1199 MSRP and you know that we're looking around $1,000 with discounts, etc regularly.

Hi everyone - first time poster, long time lurker.....

I too have tried to preorder from 3 different Dell Reps - one of which is our master Dell rep for our company (we buy approx 1.5mil of Dell a year) and he gave me the $1199 pricing and a March 1st date, but no preordering....<sigh> I couldn't get even a peep out of him about the panel specs, shipping dates, etc...

So I thought I'd be sneaky and try posing as a small business owner. Again, the same runaround - they knew about the panel and it's March 1st date, but wouldn't say a word about it. I'm wondering if Dell management told the sales force "one word about this panel before March 1st and you're autta here"? ;)

Anyway, my Dell rep is getting a call bright and early on Tuesday so I'll report back as soon as my order is in! (I wonder if he'll be available to take my order at 12:01am on March 1st?) :D

Sir Slick
---------------------

i want this monitor, i hate dell but this is a good looking display. Im gonna wait to get some reviews and also for some coupons

For the first time ever for me (and I always make fun of the retards that camp out at Comp USA or Best Buy), I will be up all night and as soon as the panel is available to order I'm doing it. Knowing my luck if I don't it will backorder and I'll be waiting another month.

Never thought I'd turn into an uber-geek guinea pig for an expensive piece of untested technology.

hmm i dont think so i think its just lights from the room, that looks pretty good though pretty even for the price

Could be a reflection.

This is neat, it seems way to cheap. (That too good to be true thing) So, I am not going to get caught up on the hype. I am going to watch the peeps here get them and see how they react.

I have been reading those Japanese reviews and.a few stuff are mentioned.

When using component, source with 4:3 aspect ratio are output as 3:2. It seems that 480i and 480p are determined to be 720:480 = 3:2. There seems to be no way to get a 640:480 on component.

Noise (electric, not sound) on display while playing on playstation 2. Says it's probably an error occuring during the conversion of i/p.

DVD player on component doesn't work. (Says possiblility of bad unit)

santa590 said:
I have been reading those Japanese reviews and.a few stuff are mentioned.

When using component, source with 4:3 aspect ratio are output as 3:2. It seems that 480i and 480p are determined to be 720:480 = 3:2. There seems to be no way to get a 640:480 on component.

Noise (electric, not sound) on display while playing on playstation 2. Says it's probably an error occuring during the conversion of i/p.

DVD player on component doesn't work. (Says possiblility of bad unit)

Does NTSC vs PAL have anything to do with this? (I'm not sure - I am not well versed in HDTV information).

Japan is using NTSC, so there shouldn't be a difference for the US. I don't know about PAL.

I have a brand new baby for sale or trade for one of these monitors. This thing is so mine no matter the means. :D

I hope this thing destroys sales of Apple's overpriced cinema displays (they charge over $1800 for a comparable monitor, and it doesn't have half the cool shit this Dell does).

Very true, but Apple zealots don't buy for features of functionality. They buy for style and the fact that it's an Apple.

I've always felt that the iPod Shuffle by any other name (Creative, Rio, etc) would have been an absolute failure. But because it's got the Apple logo, it was an immediate hit.

Considering I got my 2005FPW for what was it about $470 total I can still sell it on EBay for close to that.
And I would if I can get a similiar deal on this screen. Considering I didn't use any coupons the first time and still got almost 40% off I don't see it being a problem.
But since my 2005FPW is in perfect condition though I would buy that one and wait to see its quality:)

-Ed

Warborn said:
It doesn't say anything about HD like the HP L2335 does. Does that mean the picture quality isn't going to be as high?

It has component inputs...I think it will do the same.

ohnnyj said:
I don't think it looks that impressive, if you have seen the 2005fwp the 2405fwp is simply the same design only with a bigger panel, nothing too fancy.

Now the 30" Apple Cinema Display, that's impressive.

The Apple 30" is a huge display with a nice tin can bezel, though the last time I checked this display didn't do too well in reviews plus it has a slow panel response time. Its not a gaming monitor at all. There isn't anything impressive about it in my opinion. Performance wise at least. It does look nice but as far as I'm concerned thats it. If 12-16ms on a true 24" panel with above average color performance and a plethora of features for under $1200 doesn't impress you then something is wrong wit ya man. ;) I'm not trying to flame but I'm seeing way too many comparisons being made between this display and the apple displays. I use the panel not the bezel so screw how pretty the bezel looks. The most important thing is how well the panel performs.

Anyway, I'm not here to start a fight (AMD rulez! Dell LCD's RULE!). :D I have my $1200 ready. So who here will be waiting for the clock to strike 12:00am to get thier 2405 before the end of next week? They gotta have free shipping on that thing! I can't remember, do they charge sales tax for NYC orders?

eggrock said:
Any ideas about Dell's rebate action? I won't have the $$$ until the middle of March and missing out on a 25% rebate will make me sad (until I see this thing on my desk. :cool: )

Where exactly is this rebate listed?

tesfaye said:
Where exactly is this rebate listed?

Nowhere. The assumption on this thread is that since Dell offered a 25% off coupon for the 2005FPW (obtainable from their Dellf Christmas game), a similar coupon will be made available for the 2405FPW.

Terpfen said:
Nowhere. The assumption on this thread is that since Dell offered a 25% off coupon for the 2005FPW (obtainable from their Dellf Christmas game), a similar coupon will be made available for the 2405FPW.

I doubt there will be a discount for this thing when it launches. There should be free shipping though. That would be nice at least. When March 1st rolls around I wonder exactly what time they will start taking orders for this panel.

What a lot of you seem to forget about PVA panels... yes, there is no tint on blacks on an angle, yes the colour reproduction/contrast ratio is a bit better... However, even a "lower response" PVA panel, still hits a lot slower response times than a comparable S-IPS panel (such as the 2005).

If you read reviews on the 'net, the 20ms Samsung PVA panel that has been their best so far, still hits response times far and above 20ms. And while S-IPS still can't compare to TN+ panels, the average response time is still much better than PVA panels' average.

So gamers may still want to consider the 2005 over this one. It seems as though this one is more for business applications, and multimedia viewing - not gaming.

steviep said:
What a lot of you seem to forget about PVA panels... yes, there is no tint on blacks on an angle, yes the colour reproduction/contrast ratio is a bit better... However, even a "lower response" PVA panel, still hits a lot slower response times than a comparable S-IPS panel (such as the 2005).

If you read reviews on the 'net, the 20ms Samsung PVA panel that has been their best so far, still hits response times far and above 20ms. And while S-IPS still can't compare to TN+ panels, the average response time is still much better than PVA panels' average.

So gamers may still want to consider the 2005 over this one. It seems as though this one is more for business applications, and multimedia viewing - not gaming.

Then why did Extreme Tech say the following?
"Games looked good, too. For example, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher's Bay has numerous dark scenes. Dark levels still were playable, and we didn't notice any problems navigating through dimly lit areas or targeting enemies in semi-darkness. In fast-moving games, such as Microsoft's Freelancer we saw no visible ghosting. If you keep the refresh rate at 60Hz, you should have few problems with the 2405FPW."

steviep said:

Do remember that there is some new low-ms PVA tech being applied to this panel, yet even with that the very nature of PVA and LCD in general means ghosting unless you start giving up colors (16.2). Not to mention if you game competitively and play nothing but FPS games, you're probably not going to want an LCD anyway. Not to mention that if you're a gamer you're probably no going to want widescreen or anything above 21" since you're sitting right in front of the thing. Personally, now that the 2405 is out, I don't see the 2005 fitting in anywhere but desktop apps. It exhibits all of the negative characteristics you pointed out and the panel may actually have something to do with the backlight issues after all.

The average response times of IPS panels are better than the average response times of PVA panels, period. So, low-ms PVA panels are still not going to touch low-ms IPS panels. The 2005 is a better gaming monitor than the 2405, despite what that review says. Reviewers often glaze over the whole issue of ghosting, anyway. If you're a serious gamer, CRT's are still the way to go. However, I still stand by the opinion that casual gamers looking for a widescreen LCD would be better suited getting a 2005, rather than a 2405. Each monitor will have their own issues (read some of the Jap reviews on the 2405), anyway.

steviep said:
The average response times of IPS panels are better than the average response times of PVA panels, period.

That assumes that a technological improvement has not been made in the PVA technology reducing the small state change response times. This seems to be the first PVA that advertises improved gray-to-gray. Also, Samsung has been discussing for some time technologies to improve the low-end response time weakness of PVA. Basically, its possible that on this panel, the shape of the PVA graph in the xbitlabs article has changed, rather than just translated down. For me at least, at its price point its worth trying out.

OMG!!!

Just called Dell Canada this morning and the Indian guy just told me the 2405 is only gonna be available from the second or third week of March. :mad: :mad:

I've been calling them each day since 2 weeks and they always told me it was gonna be available during the first week of March.

I am so pissed.

Mcklain

Mcklain said:
OMG!!!

Just called Dell Canada this morning and the Indian guy just told me the 2405 is only gonna be available from the second or third week of March. :mad: :mad:

I've been calling them each day since 2 weeks and they always told me it was gonna be available during the first week of March.

I am so pissed.

Mcklain

Can you justr order from Dell USA?

I dont think so, anyways I am not really interested in payng custom and brokerage fees.

Mcklain

I just checked it out, and its the same telephone number for USA and Canada. So theres no chance I can order it comming from the States.

Mcklain

I'll bet it's been delayed. Shouldn't be any different in Canada than it is here. Sucks though as the only thing I need is this monitor for my new PC.

Hurry up already Dell!

The Dell rep that I talked to for USA said that it'd be out in the first week of March. We'll see if that happens.

hat assumes that a technological improvement has not been made in the PVA technology reducing the small state change response times. This seems to be the first PVA that advertises improved gray-to-gray. Also, Samsung has been discussing for some time technologies to improve the low-end response time weakness of PVA. Basically, its possible that on this panel, the shape of the PVA graph in the xbitlabs article has changed, rather than just translated down. For me at least, at its price point its worth trying out.
Well for a while now samsung have been talking about new technology to improve grey-to-grey performance which is a weakness in all lcd's especially PVA based panels. The talk was this tech was to debut in 2005, so it could be true, what's weird is their grey-to-grey is 12ms and back to white is 16ms, which suggests the xbitlabs curve for this monitor is totally different. I'm really interested to see what the feedback is and whether the numbers and 12ms grey-to-grey is true, the extremetech review is a little vague on their response time evaluation imo.

wombat778 said:
That assumes that a technological improvement has not been made in the PVA technology reducing the small state change response times. This seems to be the first PVA that advertises improved gray-to-gray. Also, Samsung has been discussing for some time technologies to improve the low-end response time weakness of PVA. Basically, its possible that on this panel, the shape of the PVA graph in the xbitlabs article has changed, rather than just translated down. For me at least, at its price point its worth trying out.

1000 dollars to try something? Well there is that 21 day return period :)

Back