Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

I'm about to Order What are the chances of dead pixels on this monitor?? :confused:

or any other problems...

Just ordered mine for $840 + tax from that contact Anaconda posted in the Hotdeals section. :D

Jasonx82 said:
I'm about to Order What are the chances of dead pixels on this monitor?? :confused:

or any other problems...
Very damn few. Dell really hit a home run with this monitor. :)

After ages of research this shall be the monitor of my picking!

Goodbye 15 inch CRT of 1024x768 crappiness!

Oh yeah, I'll need a job and money first.

Just got it for $899+tax (rats I missed the $840 deal!) with an ergotron neo flex. The neo flex is barely enough arm for this baby. But for $99, it'll do.

anyway, no dead pixel that I can see. It's retina-burning bright! I have to go into nvidia control panel and turn gamma down to 0, contrast to 78%, brtness to 94%, then adjust the monitor's RGB donw also so it's more tolerable. Unfortunately I'm crushing black levels with these settings, and contrast isn't too great. But I have to remind myself it's an LCD after all, not CRT.

upside: excellent text, colors look good. not exactly ghosting, but more like blurring, on dvd and HL2.

I think I see some back light bleeding. when I bring up a solid dark gray or black background, I can see it's not uniform across the screen. but how do I determine if it's really bad or within the norm?

now, I had the hp f2304 before, which cost me $2000 (it's going back to costco). I'd say the two are about equal, with the f2304 being a bit smoother in scrolling text and in games and dvd, even though the dell has a lower published response time (12ms vs 16ms). the dell is definitely brighter (too bright). I think overall I prefer the picture of the hp and bit more, but that could be a matter of getting used to it. there's more tweaking to do. the dell is 1" bigger, but takes less space since it has no speakers.

overall, I have to say it's good! can't beat the price.

Anyone tried to hook a PS2 up to this thing, and if so with what results and on which input?

ashmedai said:
Anyone tried to hook a PS2 up to this thing, and if so with what results and on which input?

I don't have a ps2 but I've tested out Xbox (composite), Gamecube (component), a JVC DVD player (composite) and regular cable television through a VCD (component)

I am disappointed with everything except 16:9 720p through composite input with the xbox. Any and all of what would be normal 480i/480p content is displayed at the wrong aspect ratio causing the image to be slightly stretched vertically, around 15%. This is with the "aspect" option selected.

I use it to watch DVD's via TheaterTek and I love the sharpness, color clarity, and size in the relativley small space I'm in but the narrow viewing angles and poor contrast are starting to bug me. I think it will be enough to hold me over until I have more space and can afford a DLP projector or something similar though. As a PC monitor it's great, as a HT display unit it kind of sucks unless you use it as an HTPC display. The added inputs are kind of useless unless you're not picky about having geometrically distorted images.

after a few days with the 2405, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. The reason is I had the samsung 243T, the 2405's predecessor (previous generation panel). The response time has improved, but the contrast ratio is actually worse. I remember the thing that impressed me about the 243T was the excellent contrast, so I had deep blacks while still maintaining a good gray scale throughout. With the 2405, the only way to get good black is to decrease gamma and brightness (in nvidia control panel) to the point where I get black crush. By that I mean that any gray that falls below a certain level, like (92,92,92) just looks black (on a scale of 0,0,0 for black to 255,255,255 for white). This also means that dark colors basically show as black.

If I increase gamma and brightness to get some separation in dark grays then the display gets too bright and washed out. I have the following settings

2405's OSD
brightness: 0, R: 25, G: 25, B: 27 (I prefer a cool colors)

nvidia's control panel:
gamma: 0, brightness: 96%, contrast 86%.

that's much darker than what most people have, but it's the only way I can get the brightness down to a tolerable level and also not have the display look washed out. I don't have a superbright office but I have plenty of light (I don't sit in the dark).

I think the problem is the backlight is just too bright, and it's just throwing everything off. It's too bad there's no way to adjust the backlight.

J-M-E said:
But 2 Single arms will give me even MORE flexibility.

id say go with the multi monitor arms from ergo tron, but if you are hell bent on getting single arms then go for the ergotron 300, takes a while to setup properly but works like charm

Another fun shot for you guys who don't have it yet. :p

Pardon the sloppy desk. It's cleanup day later this week. Let me know if anyone wants 1920x1200 original photo desktops. My wife is a fine photographer. Of course, I'm a bit biased. But her desktops for the monitor ARE good.

-e

062705.jpg

the_eephus said:
Let me know if anyone wants 1920x1200 original photo desktops. My wife is a fine photographer. Of course, I'm a bit biased. But her desktops for the monitor ARE good.
I'd love some of here photos, thank you. Her work shows talent. I change my desktop at least every week. I'll PM you my emaill addy.

Not sure if this was already posted in this massive thread but could someone post the dimensions of the box that the 2405 is delivered in. I probably won't be home to sign for it so I'll have to pick it up. If the box is too big I'll have to borrow my brother's Tahoe.

Thanks

does anyone what these values in the service menu do?

Gm1602 Reg Read/Write/ RAdd

I'm trying to find some way to reduce the brightness (already have it set to 0) on this thing.

If you have an nVidia GPU, you can lower brightness to 90% and boost Digital Vibrance to low. This really helps, on my panel at least. :)

1c3d0g said:
If you have an nVidia GPU, you can lower brightness to 90% and boost Digital Vibrance to low. This really helps, on my panel at least. :)

I've found it tolerable only by educing nvidia gamma to zero (!), but that just eliminates all dark details (grays become black). That's not a good solution, obviously.

Does anyone have World of Warcraft and play with this monitor? I am curious, the game doesn't support the native resolution of this monitor in the video settings. Is the game boxed in?

Eiolon said:
Does anyone have World of Warcraft and play with this monitor? I am curious, the game doesn't support the native resolution of this monitor in the video settings. Is the game boxed in?

It does support it natively...and it's spectacular.

I see. You'll have to forgive me as I've been stuck in 1024x768 for 6 years :D I didn't see an option in the video settings so I assumed it didn't support it. My bad.

You know what's funny is that games like GTA: SA that are ports from console games support 1920x1200 natively, yet recent blockbusters like Battlefield 2 don't support it.

:mad:

ashmedai said:
Battlefield 2 is supposed to, but it messes up the FOV. They're fixing it.
It's not native support until I can choose it in video options.

Yeah, they're fixing it, but they've got a LOT to fix to make this game enjoyable. Like the server browser and hyper-threading support.

ashmedai said:
WTF....hyperthreading support?
Compatibility - whatever. The game crashes at an unacceptable rate with HT enabled processors. The fix is to set the affinity to a single "cpu"

Damn, hearing all the complaints it sure looks to me as if BF2 was rushed to be released on a certain date. I think we can expect a lot of patches... :(

looks like my shippment is arriving today. thought I might as well join the club here. Hope the monitor is as good as many people say in here with no dead pixel and backlight issue. My first LCD purchase...
I have a question. What is the good way to check for dead pixels and backlight leakage. I think I heard some kind of program to check them. Could any of you guys tell me, plz?

What the deuce?!?!

Received my 2nd replacement today, no high-pitch whinning sound from power supply, no backlight leaking, no flickering, no dead pixels. Yay! But I think I was seeing "ghosting"? What the deuce I never noticed any ghosting before and this one's ghosting? *bangs head on wall then falls flat on floor*

Didn't have time to test too many situations before leaving for work, right now I have the feeling this panel ghosts more than the previous two panels but it's probably just my mind. If it indeed ghosts then I'll have to learn to live with it. But .......... what the deuce?!?!?! :mad: :p :D

blix9 said:
looks like my shippment is arriving today. thought I might as well join the club here. Hope the monitor is as good as many people say in here with no dead pixel and backlight issue. My first LCD purchase...
I have a question. What is the good way to check for dead pixels and backlight leakage. I think I heard some kind of program to check them. Could any of you guys tell me, plz?

boy are you going to be blown away, the move to LCD is killer as I was a CRT hold out untill febuary 05, your getting the 2405 it's just about the very best out there be sure to come back and share you enthusiasim. :)

Use this free tool to set your gray scale and color saturation. It's the best free one I have seen. Monitor Calibration Wizzard at http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=61876

blix9 said:

Great! Welcome to the big widescreen LCD club. This program is very useful for detecting stuck/dead (sub)pixels. :)

Back