Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

I was hoping some who owns an older dell with PiP (2001fpw or 2004fpw) could help me out on this. I want to know if I can run PiP or split screen from 2 computers on the 2405fpw one using the DVI the other using the VGA cable.

From what I read it looks like I can only run one computer input and one video input. Does anyone have experience with this? I want to buy this and run my main system on the main screen and watch TV over my media center PC in the PiP (or maybe a Mac mini if I get one.)

Any thoughts?

THANKS!

Any ideas about Dell's rebate action? I won't have the $$$ until the middle of March and missing out on a 25% rebate will make me sad (until I see this thing on my desk. :cool: )

boardmonger said:
I was hoping some who owns an older dell with PiP (2001fpw or 2004fpw) could help me out on this. I want to know if I can run PiP or split screen from 2 computers on the 2405fpw one using the DVI the other using the VGA cable.

From what I read it looks like I can only run one computer input and one video input. Does anyone have experience with this? I want to buy this and run my main system on the main screen and watch TV over my media center PC in the PiP (or maybe a Mac mini if I get one.)

Any thoughts?

THANKS!

No you cannot run DVI with D-SUB PiP or vice versa. Only works with the DVI/D-SUB to the S-Video/Component. It is really simple to flip between DVI and D-SUB however but both will not display at once.

EnderW said:
provide the 25% off coupons, hopefully

This last Christmas Amex had some specials going on for card members. Many people got some $150 off $600+ coupons for dell. I paid $50 to someone to get that coupon code and used it along with the 25% off on a 2005fpw I got ($449 before tax and ship). So keep an eye out for that this christmas when thinking about purchasing a 24inch Dell and maybe there will be another Delf thing going on too.

LxT said:
Hmm, after reading the sticky article on LCD and remembering my experience with the Samsung 243T, I'm much more cautious about the new Dell.

The 243T had absolutely ATROCIOUS response time. I saw smearing just doing desktop work (moving windows around, scrolling text). DVD playback was smeary. Games were unplayable, esp. dark games like Doom3. One thing it was good at: contrast. The blacks were quite black (for LCD) and the whites were nice and white, not cream, beige, or yellowish. But it had this weird problem where colors noticeably varied across the screen. In the center, colors were deeper, and faded more and more toward the edges. Now that I've read the article, I understand why.

Strangely, many people report not seeing ghosting with the 243T. They must be wearing anti-ghosting goggles or something. I have no idea. Yes I played around with adjustments and I have plenty of ambient light in the room (I do not sit in the dark).

The new panel of course has much better specs, but we know how these things are manipulated. Then there's the backlight issue...

Btw, I have no idea what to make of people saying X LCD is better than CRT. Sure you can say CRTs are too bulky, or have too much glare or cause eye fatigue or give you headache, but to say some LCD has better contrast or colors than any CRT just makes me want to discount any review I read on these forums.

If you hated the 243T the 2405FPW is not for you.

grdh20 said:
If you hated the 243T the 2405FPW is not for you.

What makes you say that?? Cause the 2405 is another samsung panel?.

I mean no one here tested the 2405 so its impossible to know for sure. From the specs, this panel looks pretty fine to me.

Mcklain

Mcklain said:
What makes you say that?? Cause the 2405 is another samsung panel?.

I mean no one here tested the 2405 so its impossible to know for sure. From the specs, this panel looks pretty fine to me.

Mcklain

It simply isn't going to be night and day difference from the 243T. Maybe you had a bad 243, but some people just don't like gaiming on any LCD. From 25 down to 16ms response is nice, but I don't think it will make a dramatic enough difference to make you happy based on your reaction to the 243T. hey, but it's just my opinion. Don't let me effect your decison.

Am curious, and have not seen it posted as yet. Does this monitor have a brick or is the transformer internal? I hate bricks. Just something else for clutter. Am shooting for a real clear desktop here.

So far this thing is looking some nice as I hoped. :)

Sneak said:
Am curious, and have not seen it posted as yet. Does this monitor have a brick or is the transformer internal? I hate bricks. Just something else for clutter. Am shooting for a real clear desktop here.

So far this thing is looking some nice as I hoped. :)

Looks to be internal power for the monitor. If you have the soundbar, it looks to have a brick adapter that plugs into the monitor though.

Hi,

The 2005 didnt have a brick bar, so I am guessing the 2405 wont have one either.

Mcklain

grdh20 said:
It simply isn't going to be night and day difference from the 243T. Maybe you had a bad 243, but some people just don't like gaiming on any LCD. From 25 down to 16ms response is nice, but I don't think it will make a dramatic enough difference to make you happy based on your reaction to the 243T. hey, but it's just my opinion. Don't let me effect your decison.

I passed from a samsung 191t to a dell 2005 and I saw a major difference when gamming. And it was day and night between those 2. So I am guessing the 2405 will be alot like the 2005 but 4 inch more wich is gonna be just terrific!!!

Mcklain

Mcklain said:
I passed from a samsung 191t to a dell 2005 and I saw a major difference when gamming. And it was day and night between those 2. So I am guessing the 2405 will be alot like the 2005 but 4 inch more wich is gonna be just terrific!!!

The difference is that the 2405FPW is based on a Samsung PVA panel, while the 2005 is a S-IPS lg.philips panel. Think of the 2405FPW as basically a Samsung 243T version 2.0.

That said, I think there are a few reasons to be hopeful about the gaming performance of the 2405. Mainly, the gray-to-gray performance of the panel seems to be being specifically advertised, which is really where the achilles heel of the PVA panels lie. It seems likely that Samsung has put effort into improving this characteristic. For example, see the fourth paragraph of this article: http://www.tweakzone.nl/extreviews/2620/

So, I am hopeful about the 2405PFW gaming performance, at least enough to try it.

Nope, no power brick (not mentioned in the manual anyways) :D

As for LCD vs CRT, I played movies, games on old dell 1800fp, rated at 25ms, never noticed any ghosting. Then there are ppl who are swear by CRTs because any LCD is too slow... It's a matter of personal perception, I believe.

Problem with gaming on 2405 is not response time but ur videocard pushing so many pixels... It may work with older games but more recent ones may lag badly, even with latest graphics hardware which is bottlenecked by CPUs anyways.

TehQuick said:
mclain stop saying hi, it's annoying :D u make us feel inferior and un-refined ;)

Please stay on the subject, and if you have personal matter to discuss I would gladly do it in PM

Mcklain

Ok, I finally found the monitor I'm going to upgrade to

Anyone know of the quality on VGA vs Component, running 3 Gaming systems and a satellite reciever and I want the best quality, currently i have them all on component but since all 3 systems have a higher quality cable, it might be in my interest to upgrade. that being said anyone know if the VGA could outpreform the component based on quality? cables are expensive at this quality and I wouldn't want to waste it.

This monitor looks like something that would look very nice on my desk in a couple of weeks, but will I be able to play the latest games on it with this setup:

eVGA 6800GT
AMD a64 3500 (might get the venice, we'll see)
Asus a8v deluxe

Thanks,
Alex

EhJayKim said:
This monitor looks like something that would look very nice on my desk in a couple of weeks, but will I be able to play the latest games on it with this setup:

eVGA 6800GT
AMD a64 3500 (might get the venice, we'll see)
Asus a8v deluxe

Thanks,
Alex
Our systems are very similar. From everything I've read, we should be able to run the latest games at WUXGA resolution on the 2405. I hope so. I'm gonna get one of these LCDs as soon as they're released.

I've got my heart set on this monitor, but the real question is, buy this or wait for a SED Monitor coming out at the end of the year?

SEDs will cost much more than this piece of hardware ;) And they won't appear in retail for at least another year, most likely more... :D

BTW, SEDs will be in TVs only, unlikely to arrive on computer scene for another 2 years

Heh.. guess the 2005FPW ppl are really screwed.. as a 2x2001FP owner I don't feel very screwed tho.. putting a 2004FPW inbetween my 2001FPs would be _SWEET_, 2004FPW and 2001FP have the same height resolution and I think the height of the panel only differs 2cm or so (alittle less than an inch?), they would probably line up pretty good..
5120x1200 resolution sounds pretty sweet to me :)
This upgrade would cost alot tho.. new SLI compatible motherboard, new CPU, 2x SLI vid cards (for 4 dvi outputs) and a 2004FPW = alot of money.. but its definetly worth considering.. anyone else thought of this setup?

with sli, u can't use all 4 outputs, only 2 on one card. U'll need a 3rd videocard to drive a third monitor ;)

TehQuick said:
with sli, u can't use all 4 outputs, only 2 on one card. U'll need a 3rd videocard to drive a third monitor ;)

In non-SLI mode the cards can act independently, hence 4 monitors. But yeah, not sure if he's talking about sli mode or not

TehQuick said:

I've just picked up an Evesham Decimator, which has 2 x 256MB NVIDIA 6800 GT PCI-E cards in an SLI config. I plan on bolting* a couple of Dell 2001FPs onto it, but I'm not sure if SLI can handle that or if I'd need to disable SLI. Parent post says only 2 outputs on one card, but I dimly recall reading elsewhere here that SLI only handles one output. Can anyone say which it is? Disabling SLI wouldn't be too much of an issue for me as I'm not a huge gamer, but I was just wondering whether or not it would be necessary at all ...

Of course, disabling SLI would mean I could get 4x20", but I'm not sure either my electricity supply or my desk could handle that :)

* Not literally :D

endorph1n said:
Heh.. guess the 2005FPW ppl are really screwed.. as a 2x2001FP owner I don't feel very screwed tho.. putting a 2004FPW inbetween my 2001FPs would be _SWEET_, 2004FPW and 2001FP have the same height resolution and I think the height of the panel only differs 2cm or so (alittle less than an inch?), they would probably line up pretty good..
This upgrade would cost alot tho.. new SLI compatible motherboard, new CPU, 2x SLI vid cards (for 4 dvi outputs) and a 2004FPW = alot of money.. but its definetly worth considering.. anyone else thought of this setup?

How are we screwed? Got this baby really cheap and it's just the right size for me.

endorph1n said:

the 2005fpw can be bought for less than half the price of the 2405, it is still a better deal or trade off for 4'

Back