Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

My viewsonic's specs are 450:1 contrast ratio, 400-nit brightness, 12 ms response time . It is very bright. It also has that glare coating on it like the Sony xbrites have. That might have something to do with my perception of ghosting. The coating really makes the colors jump.

I will say that I do love the colors on the Dell 2405fpw though. I owned an Apple 23" LCD for a week, before returning it. The colors on it were nowhere near as vibrant. Sitting next to my Viewsonic VP912B it looked like crap. So back it went. The Dell, on the other hand, is just beautiful with it's color reproduction. I'm hoping my brain can get used to the the slight blurring/ghosting.

I think the biggest problem with the blurring ghosting is that the screen is so damn huge that everything is magnified and more noticeable.

Hey Rip, can you repost those colour settings again mate? :)

(hehe sorry, too lazy to trawl through this thread)

Talking of scaling and interpolation, can anybody get this screen running at 1680x1050? Say in HL2 or Doom3?

Right so there's no support for 1680x1050 widescreen on the 2405FPW. A bit of a shame but I suppose it is an oddball resolution. According to Half-Life 2, in the 16:10 format there are the following resolutions available:-

1920x1200
1280x768
720xsomething

Then there appears to be stretched support for several 16:9 resolutions, including 1920x1080 I assume. Finally, there's all the 4:3 resolutions from 1600x1200 down.

I received my 2405FPW yesterday. When I opened the box, I was surprised to find that the VGA cable was connected to the LCD monitor, is it an indication that the monitor has been used. BTW, the outer box was also broken.

redtree said:
I received my 2405FPW yesterday. When I opened the box, I was surprised to find that the VGA cable was connected to the LCD monitor, is it an indication that the monitor has been used. BTW, the outer box was also broken.

no, they have to test it somehow b4 it leaves the manufacturer

redtree said:
everyone had the vga cable plugged in, including me.

shadylx said:
everyone had the vga cable plugged in, including me.

Yep, mine also had it attached. I would assume they did a quick test before packaging maybe.

JonDo[H] said:
Oh, one slight annoyance: the screen does appear to "sag" to the right hand side. Looks lop-sided for it. I know several others on the hardocp forum have had the same issue. Did anybody come up with a solution?? Will see if there's a chance of fastening some nuts in the stand.

Apart from that, very, very pleased!! Too big!!

Will post some pics very soon.

Ha I just thought about attaching counterweights to the rear pannel of the left side of the monitor....kind of a jerry-rigged solution....

My 2405 sagged to the right out of the box, so I kinda pushed on the monitor to the left a bit and now it's as straight as an arrow.

Riptide_NVN said:
ctishue, I think that is normal. We were talking about that earlier in the thread. Open up My Computer on your desktop and drag it from side to side - you will see what looks like tearing. Drag it up and down and the effect isn't there. This shows up with my other LCDs as well. Is it ghosting? Maybe, not really sure.

Try gaming and tell me if you see much ghosting though. I don't. :)

The tearing is something that I noticed immedately also. I played a few games thereafter and didn't notice any "in game" tearing though.

I notice the "ghosting" in WoW too. If I run straight and then turn my view to the side so I can watch everything passing by, I can see a slight blur of the edge of objects that have defined lines. Also everything seem to blur just a bit more than my VP912b did. It's not as bad as the window dragging example I gave before though.

This ghosting or motion blur or whatever you want to call it has probably been evident on all the LCD panels I've owned, but it just becomes more apparent when I am engulfed by 24 inches of screen.

I'll keep on trying to get my brain used to it. I've got 15 days left to return, but I really don't want to return it. The colors are so nice and I'm not going to get anything close to this size and quality without spending a lot more.

i replaced the dell's foot, so for those of you that dont like the standard one this would be an good option imo.
neoflex1.jpg

neoflex2.jpg

JonDo[H] said:
Right so there's no support for 1680x1050 widescreen on the 2405FPW. A bit of a shame but I suppose it is an oddball resolution.

I think the monitor should do any resolution you throw at it as long as it's <=1920x1200. It's all a matter of getting the video card settings correct. I can have either the monitor or the video card do the scaling.

On my HP f2304, I've run it @ 960x600, 1280x800, 1344x840, 1440x900, 1600x1000, 1920x1200. All DVI and all on a Geforce3.

dadj said:
i replaced the dell's foot, so for those of you that dont like the standard one this would be an good option imo.

I was unaware other companies made stands compatible with Dell LCD's. Does is eliminate the sagging? How much does it cost?

dadj said:
neoflex1.jpg

neoflex2.jpg

That is AWESOME! Where'd you get it, and how much?

chrism said:
I was unaware other companies made stands compatible with Dell LCD's. Does is eliminate the sagging? How much does it cost?
My original foot didnt have any sagging at all to be honost, it was perfectly leveled.
This stand cost me 91 euros, so it should be around $90 i'd say.
More info here: http://www.ergotron.com/

dadj said:
My original foot didnt have any sagging at all to be honost, it was perfectly leveled.
This stand cost me 91 euros, so it should be around $90 i'd say.
More info here: http://www.ergotron.com/

Which model did you buy? Looks like the Neo Flex model. I am surprised that the LCD is less than 18 lbs.. I thought it was closer to 23 or 25lbs.

ctishue said:
Also another weird problem that I mentioned earlier in the thread is when playing old dos games full screen using dosbox. These are games that use a resolution of 320x200. When set to full screen, the image shakes violently and it is unusable. I also tried setting the windows desktop to 320x200 and it does the same thing. Does everyone else experience this same issue?

Haven't tried anything at 320x200, but I also run some old things with DOSBox from time to time so I'm curious... tried with your video card doing the scaling? I think with video card scaling anything should work, and at the right aspect ratio too (seems the monitor itself only recognizes a select few resolutions as being 16:9 or 16:10 :().

I think 960x600 with video card scaling looks good, but with the monitor scaling it thinks its 4:3 so you have to set it to Fill, and the result isn't so nice-looking (maybe because it's actually scaling to 1600x1200 and then stretching to 1920x1200 instead of just straight scaling to 1920x1200).

I'd highly recommend everyone give their video card scaling a try, if you haven't yet.

CalKenneth said:
Which model did you buy? Looks like the Neo Flex model. I am surprised that the LCD is less than 18 lbs.. I thought it was closer to 23 or 25lbs.
Yep, i got a neo flex one with single arm. It connects to the desk and it looks like this:
g99397.jpg

dadj said:
Yep, i got a neo flex one with single arm. It connects to the desk and it looks like this:
g99397.jpg

Thanks for the update. Looks like the 2405FPW is a 22.1 lb monitor. Does Ergotron make one that supports a heavier weight?

I bought this one for about US$270. Seems very nice. Lots of adjustment options. Unfortunately, I had a mishap when installing it last night. Part of the mounting bolt assembly failed when I over(?)tightened it. The vendor is contacting the manufacturer in order to get me a replacement part.

When choosing an arm, make sure it is rated for the weight of your monitor. (Just over 15lbs, in the case of the 2405. Remember not to include the weight of the Dell stand.)

CalKenneth said:
Thanks for the update. Looks like the 2405FPW is a 22.1 lb monitor. Does Ergotron make one that supports a heavier weight?
Well, the one I have only has one arm, instead of the one with two of m that i found on their site. Go here to check compatability

ctishue said:
Covak,

How do I make it so my video card is scaling? I don't quite understand what you mean.

Bring up the advanced settings for your video card. The top thing for me is "nView Display Settings" and over near the bottom right there's a "Device Settings >>" menu (and I'm set for "Single display" mode with the "Dell 2405FPW" as the current display). Pick "Device Adjustments" from there. "Fixed aspect ratio scaling" is the good stuff. Forgot how obscure that is, heh...

I should say that I have NVTweak installed and enabled everything... dunno if that's needed or not. And even though it seems like an nView feature, I don't have nView enabled.

Right it's night time and GOD-DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN this screen is bright! :D

Still running at 75% though. Hehe burn those retinas ;)

Just got my 2405FPW, checked for dead pixels (none) but when looking at a pure black screen it is very bright, esp at the corners.

Is this the backlight issue? Is anyone else noticing this?

Thanks

My corners don't seem any brighter. The blacks are bright and kinda sucky though, look a bit greyish.

CalKenneth said:
You can also buy the Ergotron arm from Dell.com for $89 right now.

Does anyone know if you can use this arm (or ones like it for that matter) with tempered glass desktops?

CalKenneth said:
So it sounds like people are reporting one of three things:

1) buzzing only
2) whining only
3) neither

I wonder why the components BenQ sources are so varied that the monitors either whine or buzz but not both!

3) neither

rinaldo00 said:
Just got my 2405FPW, checked for dead pixels (none) but when looking at a pure black screen it is very bright, esp at the corners.

Is this the backlight issue? Is anyone else noticing this?
How close are you to the monitor when you are noticing this? Because of the viewing angle, if you are looking at the center from only 12" or so out then the corners are going to be off-color and look washed. Sit back 2' from the display and see if it still appears like that.

Back