Unmountable Boot Volume *sigh*

freeikon

n00b
This is all I get my computer boots up and then it goes to this blue screen, anyone know how to fix this? I've tried disconnecting things and the works just can't figure out what the problem could be.....

sounds like you need to do a MBR repair from the recovery console....your boot.ini file may have become corrupted some how.. or it is also possible that you have HDD failure but try simple thigns first.. did anything happen like power outage or other strange things before getting this error ? did you yourself install anything software or hardware related that led up to this error...more info you can provide better we can help you here...

I installed everything, This computer has been working fine for months now, no problems at all.

Yesterday during the 4th of july there where two power outages and after the second one is when I just went out.

This morning I came back and I get this blue screen. What is this MBR reset you speak of? Or what would you suggest I check out? I really need to get this thing up like all of us I have a lot of important stuff on there that needs to come off for work/school. :confused:

I would first boot from your OS CD and go into the recovery console. You still haven't bothered to tell us what OS it is, so we'll assume XP or 2000. Boot from the CD and choose the repair options. Or, if your familiar with the recovery console, get into that and run fixmbr. As mentioned before, it is possible that one of the power outages fried your hard drive.

Sorry, Yes it is WinXP.

Haha, I'll try the recovery trick, hopefully I did not fry my HD. If I did, well, lets not think about that yet. :eek:

Well, I ran the WinXP, went into the Repair System, it brought me to a dos prompt, I ran Fixmbr it gave a warning, I ran it.

Still the same thing, I have a Seagate Barracuda.

At the blue screen it says gives this code :

0x000000ED (0x86382E30, 0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Now we are getting to the details! Since it's a Seagate drive, go to their website and download their disk diagnostics software. That will tell you if the drive has failed or not.

Well I found somewhere that matches my code and it says same thing that you spoke of in the recovery.

Instead try chkdsk /r if that doesn't work then try fixboot, if neither of these work then I will try the seagate, I already have it downloaded and on a cd for booting. That will be my last option, I'm afraid to see it tell me that my HDD is fried :(

does chkdsk usually take such a long time? I mean it got to 77% then went back to 50% and its up to 65% now. :eek:

freeikon said:
does chkdsk usually take such a long time? I mean it got to 77% then went back to 50% and its up to 65% now. :eek:
That's a good thing....that means it's finding problems, and most likely fixing them.

Damn, djnes beat me to it.

Yes, it can take a long time based on the size of the HD and also the amount of errors that it finds and fixes.

You haven't mentioned what sevice pack level you have. The unmountable boot error was frequent before SP1. IIRC, it had to do with write-caching on the HDD and data in the cache not being written before the drive was reset.

Yea stuck with SP1 or prior I believe, I bought SP2 but newegg sent me a WinXP SP2 cd with no key!?!? go figure..... :rolleyes:

well it booted, and it goes to the windows logo loading screen, then quickly shows a blue screen can't really make out anything that it says..... :(

Looks like you never turned off Automatic Reboots in the System Properties. Can you boot the system in Safe Mode?

*sigh* nope, not even into safe mode, it doesn't even show the blue screen when I choose safe mode, just reboots back to the beginning.

Sounds like yet another example of where Norton Ghost would be very sueful for recovering data!

Anyway, unless your getting a warning screen about S.M.A.R.T. reporting errors, your drive might be okay, hardware wise. If none of the repair options are working, you could do what's known as a parallel install. If you test the drive and it's physically okay, boot from the XP CD and install XP into a different directory, like C:\Windows2. Do NOT delete any of your partitions during the install. Once it's up and running, back up your data, and then you can format and do a fresh, clean install.

Geez, so I need to reinstall most likely..... Stupid power surges. What does this Norton Ghost do?

freeikon said:
What does this Norton Ghost do?
Creates an image of your hard drive on another computer or on CDs/DVDs. It's meant to backup a full system, or clone one computer to another. The method in which it would work for you, is that you'd ghost your entire hard drive to an image file on another machine, and open that image file like a giant zip file, extracting any data files you needed.

Before wiping i'd advise putting in your XP disc, boot up, and follow the steps to do a normal install.

When it gets to screen 3 or so, the one with partition info, has a box at the bottom with your partitions in them, instead of doing an clean install there should be a repair option. Press that key, i think its R. And windoze will rewrite all ness files, and hopefully get you booting.

Nice, I'm gonna get that. Thanks for all your help, I know that formatting and the likes will work, so I'm just gonna get down and do it. I'll do like you said first so I can save some files, otherwise just gonna do a clean install. Start from scratch again :cool:

microcosm13 said:
Before wiping i'd advise putting in your XP disc, boot up, and follow the steps to do a normal install.

When it gets to screen 3 or so, the one with partition info, has a box at the bottom with your partitions in them, instead of doing an clean install there should be a repair option. Press that key, i think its R. And windoze will rewrite all ness files, and hopefully get you booting.
He posted above that it's all been tried, to no avail.

Hey DJ,

Well, I finished reinstalling, everything is working fine, I'm downloading Firefox and all the basic programs I was using, any suggestions on free programs that would make things safer/easier/accessable.

Was this a fresh install, or did you just do a parallel install? Parallel installs are only meant to be temporary, to let you remove the data.

I did a paralell, grabbed some stuff I needed, then reformatted and started over from scratch, now I'm installing all my drivers and applications for my MOBO (temp gauge etc), Video card drivers, sound card drivers, setting up my wireless network and everything.

Ok good. Your doing it the right way then. I was just making sure. Hopefully this build will be stable for you.

freeikon said:
Nice, I'm gonna get that. Thanks for all your help, I know that formatting and the likes will work, so I'm just gonna get down and do it. I'll do like you said first so I can save some files, otherwise just gonna do a clean install. Start from scratch again :cool:

With XP, honestly that is the best way. I'm working on a machine right now that i'm already into problem #4. They can't lose their pr0n...i mean....data. Each problem I fix I find another one. Wiping is prolly the easiest and best way to go. If you get it fixed, half the time its WAY unstable anyways.

Don't forget SP2 in there somewhere. It's freely available from the MS site.

Back