Unmountable Boot Volume after Mini Setup from ImageX image

DVAmon

2[H]4U
Hello All,

Recently my company has begun to test ImageX as a secondary deployment solution. So far we have taken our previous "universal image" and ported it to a WIM file. We have been using Vista PE to deploy this image. Other than a few small issues, we have been pretty successful with this and may consider using a WDS based solution.

I was testing our image on a new model PC they have in a remote site. The image took fine through our normal procedures and ran Mini Setup. After Mini setup completed, Windows XP blue-screened with the 0xED "Unmountable Boot Volume" error. I booted up the machine with the Vista PE cd and ran a diskpart and found the File system on the machine was RAW.

Now this machine in question was an HP DC7700 Small Form Factor computer. Initially the machine would not boot when the image was applied to the 1st primary partition, a Disk Read error occurred and the F11 to run autorecovery. I then ran a diskpart clean and created a new primary partition. Once that was done the image loaded properly but the unmountable boot volume error continued to occur.

I checked for the proper mass storage controllers. I am referencing the iastor,inf, the iaahci,inf (even though this machine does not support AHCI), and I've even referenced the ich8ide.inf. Chipset is the Q965 Express (ICH8). The image had been previously tested on an Optiplex 745 (and most previous Dell Optiplex models, as well as the DC7600 and D530 minitower) and works perfectly fine.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the unmountable boot volume error after mini setup completes? Drive is a 160GB Samsung SATAII drive. Machine has no legacy ATA devices connected to it.

Back