unlucky. stressed pc breakdown. major

fudge2011

Limp Gawd
i got in this afternoon and my pc wasnt on.

i called a guy out who didnt speak the best english and only had a 620w psu on him. he somehow managed to get the fan running on his psu using my power supply cable. i get a bit confused here as:

.....he said he couldnt rig the psu up to see if it wud run the system as it wouldnt fit . something to do with pins

........how did he get the fan running did he just press te on off on his psu or wud he have used the on button on my pc case?

........did he even put any pin connectiion from his psu to get his fan running simoly because it is an oldish low powered one because i would have thought i cud get the fan running on ine at least. which i cant

since receiving the news from him my psu is broke.i.e from him. i have spent 70 pounds on a model brand name: oc z 700 watt one with slightly different connections to my corsair tx650. these differences seem to be:

.......the instructions say only to connect the right part to the 8pin doiing so i can get all 12 columns of pins in the gpu. if i use the 6 and 2 for the 8 pin i miss a column on the gpu with thnis new psu.

i have also noticed a small thin red cable was unplugged which said power su. so ive tried plugging this back in.

still nothing works.

i have spent 100 pounds today for callout and a psu i might have to sell later for compatibilty reasons. i have been quotes nearly 200 pounds more for a 1@day dignosis in london. i start university on monday and it is an important year.

this is a crisis and i cant think of a more unlucky situation to be in spending a this much. please try guide me to a repair. oh. and i was sealing holes in my property as i saw a mouse but have checked internalcables and theyre ok. there was a slot hole in my pc. what would happen if the mouse for eg. stopped the cpu fan.???

this is the second time i have tried to write this on my phone due to my only pc with a connection being down and the phone ran out of battery. please excuse typos and move to popular or appropriate section and most importantly please empathise or sympathise..whichever

Last edited:
i start university on monday and it is an important year.

Sorry, It is really hard to help with all the typos and grammatical errors. What you have written makes no sense. When you start University on Monday, I hope you make sure to spell check and grammar check all your work before you submit it. ;)

I agree with the guy above me. Your English does not need to be perfect, hell mine is hardly amazing. However your current sentences make little sense.

I would try condensing the main issue at hand to no more than a sentences.

Though the prices you getting quoted seem a little crazy for a call out then again its hard to make out what the problem is currently.

currently the problem is: having bought a new psu it wont power my system.

yes theyre crazy . i hope to god my data is ok. i really do hope to god

Ok. So what was wrong with the old PSU and have you considered that the new PSU is dead on arrival?

no i havent considered that. i should probably consider if it was compatible in the first place.

maybe so...yeah maybe its dead

the old psu was diagnosed faulty bysome guy i couldnt uunderstand. As I said I came in at about 4 o clock and my 24 hour running pc. shutting down occassionally had just turned off. Just my three monitors with black screens

Well i would provide a link to the power supply you brought and the motherboard of your machine. That way people can compare specifications to check compatibly?

I mean there are many reasons why it could not be working but maybe its best just to look at one thing at a time.

i cant thin of any evidence that even points to my old psu being faulty. I dont even understand how he got the fan on his running. Im under the impression the only way to get mine ruuning is with the on button on the pc case which im worried may be the fundamental problem as it might have been chewed. does everyone understand now?

Model number of old PSU?
Model number of new PSU?
Model number of motherboard?
Model/name of chassis (or case)?

Thanks!

im sorry its easier for me to post replies than edit on my phone. its an asrock z68 pro 3 in my spec and the new psu is a stealth stream 2 os z 700 w 80 plus.
i will try get the link but I think this phone isnt advanced enouph so please google and yes atm i cant find the comma on my phone. im calmly distraught

corsair tx650 CMPSU-650TXV2
Stealth 'x' stream 2 0CZ700SXS2
asrock z68 pro 3
cooler master 690 2 advantage

is that power su cable i mentioned important? i doubt a mouse could have pulled it out but it was out.
i also think its unlikely to be a mouse problem. dead cabled for example.

As I have said from the non speaking english guy. He supposedly got his psu working with a connection to my mobo certifying my mobo is fine. as you should see i dont understand how he got his fan running which maked me question the actual power button on the chassis . Which i am dreading getting replaced...ill have to buy new chasis....and to question my old and new psu

Last edited:
Those parts check out assuming that the machine is put together correctly.

On that note have you checked that the front panel is correctly plugged into the motherboard? Since you seem to suggest maybe the power button itself does not work.

When the machine is plugged in and the power supply is on, does the board light up in anyway?

make sure all cables are plugged in all the way until the latches engage, and make sure everything with a power receptacle has a plug going into it. (mobo 24-pin, cpu 8-pin, gpu 2x6-pin, OS drive, fans) also unplug/backup any data that is important to you if youre dealing with a power issue.

erm. ill look into this front panel. i dont quite know whagt you mean. ive been running the machine for about 3f4 months and it has been a dream. my first build. It has been an essential part of my years preperation and now this.

when you plan years and years of your life to work with a computer in a certain way. words dont describe

erm. ill look into this front panel. i dont quite know whagt you mean. ive been running the machine for about 3f4 months and it has been a dream. my first build.

front panel connectors are all the wires going from the case to the components. usually on, rest, audio/mic, usb, and maybe firewire and/or esata. most impotant right now is going to be the power switch. it should be labeled in the cable and the motherboard should be labeled where it goes. also remember that it matters which way you put it on, so if youre not sure its on the right way consult your mobo manual and make sure its right.

like someone asked earlier, when you plug in the psu to the mobo, and the psu is switched on, are any lights at all lit up on the mobo? also, if you press the power switch on the case, does the fan jerk or just not move at all?

Find a techy kid at your university. Take the machine over to him and he will probably find the problem in a handful of minutes.

so yeah what do you mean by the front panel. you mean all the cabled from the power reset button etc . yes except for the power su cable ...is my new psu compatible or should i try plling front panel out and putting back in wiith my old psu?

so yeah what do you mean by the front panel. you mean all the cabled from the power reset button etc . yes except for the power su cable ...is my new psu compatible or should i try plling front panel out and putting back in wiith my old psu?

if none of the front panel wires have been touched since when it was working before, then there should be no reason to remove or change the front panel connectors. can you answer the questions about lights on the mobo or the fan jerking when you press the power button?

i see no lights. it ingtersting because first time i pressed power button on case im sure the a fan went on then off.

could sum1 post a link to pdf manual of the mobo im not sure this phone can handle google and this im expecting a shut down on this phone i think if i did :p

as for getting some tech kid . thats highly unlikely. i need this solved in 24 hours maximum now . two days ruin my preperation erm...yeh trust me there is no tech kid i know. ill try get a picture of power su cable and everything in next hour.

but yeh. i need the pdf mobol manual i dont have it at my term address. to properly understand my desperateness to this unfortunate event ie by now being in the situation where i cant return the new psu in time for it to be fixed by a technician tommorow....i am willing to pay up to 200 pounds for the technician one day resolve/official diagnosis and ontop buy a new component

I'm still not entirely following what has happened. Please let me know if any of the following sequence is inaccurate:

1. you built a pc
2. it worked fine for 3-4 months, being turned on constantly 24/7
3. you arrived at it's location one day to discover it was off
3.1. it was never really said, but the pc apparently won't turn on
4. you took pc to someone who said your power supply was bad but the only one he had to test with at his place was incompatible
5. you bought a new power supply
5.1. again never really said, but with new power supply the pc still won't power up

Am I close or am I way off?

I would rip everything out of the case.

Place motherboard on paper.
Plug in power supply.
1 memory chip, 1 HD, video card and see if it boots up. You can power on the pc by touching the two pins labeled pwr on the motherboard next to reset.

@ kevinegenius your absolutely correct.

both points 3 3 and 5 5 aswell. what you said is spot on. cheers. and sorry for he confusion. yes nothing powers on since when i got in at 4 this afternoon. aef4 months ive never had a problem . used it everydai

I would rip everything out of the case.

Place motherboard on paper.
Plug in power supply.
1 memory chip, 1 HD, video card and see if it boots up. You can power on the pc by touching the two pins labeled pwr on the motherboard next to reset.

i wouldnt even plug in a hard drive. you could damage it, and right now even just getting power to the motherboard let alone booting to bios would be great. no need to go for OS just yet. also, if you have onboard graphics then you dont need the gpu which i think you do with a z68 and 2500k right?

i cant find that reset switch. i know a technician along time ago removed the battery or something trying to diagnose my previous/old faulty Hd but i dont want to do that.....''.

11-frontpanel-header.jpg

you need to find the pins that look similar to the left half of this picture, and touch a paperclip or pen tip or something else metallic to connect the two orange pins together.

good god . i cant afford to damage my hd are serious what kindov damage. should i anticipate a data recovery charge ontop then tommorow before he does anything another 100 pounds?

yeh onboard graphics. i cant tell you if that has worked with me before without hd.

should i unplug hd i cant afford damage to it .

what shud i do

good god . i cant afford to damage my hd are serious what kindov damage. should i anticipate a data recovery charge ontop then tommorow before he does anything another 100 pounds?

yeh onboard graphics. i cant tell you if that has worked with me before without hd.

what shud i do
Unplug the power from your HDD until your system can POST/turn on and you can access BIOS and see familiar messages on screen.

Then, once you are comfortable, you can plug the power back into your HDD (but make sure your system is entirely off before you plug it back in).

what shud i do

you dont need the hard drive plugged in until you are ready to try booting into windows. we have a long way to go before we get there, so go ahead and unplug it just to be safe. it is not likely that you would damage it, but poking around in there and shorting pins etc without knowing exactly what youre doing could conceivably damage the drive. just unplug it and keep it somewhere safe for now.

i have found one thing the the front panel power sw cable had come out.

so im going to try my old psu with it and try this paper clip trick.......

something tells me its unimagineable that the front panel would come out. i would get confused over it and spend 300 pounds daaam....what do i do exactly with the paper clip i just touch th connections.....the arange one in the pic are which one.??????

also i get a hunch that my front panel power sw not being connected is kindov major..... does it explain the psu not comiing on thiugh hmmm......

still no power with this new psu ....to try:

paper clip. old psu cheers

yes just touch it to the two pins at the same time. make sure the psu is plugged in, and the switch on the back of the psu is on. if the power switch was not connected, then it would definitely make the computer not boot when you tried to turn it on earlier. it wouldnt explain why it stopped working when you were out of the house though. its starting to sound like the old psu died, and the repair guy unplugged the front panel power switch when he was "fixing" your computer and thats why it wouldnt turn on after that.

ok goiign to take out sata and power to hdd . thanks and currently having put back in power sw. noothing

Last edited:
ok goiign to take out sata and power to hdd . thanks and currently having put back in power sw. noothing still runs could someone explain the paper clip trick

the paper clip just does the same thing as the power switch. if you reconnected the power switch correctly then you dont need to use a paperclip for anything, just use the power button on the front of your case. you plugged the power switch to the two orange pins right? and got it facing the right direction?

The motherboard could be shorting out on the case. That is why I suggested ripping it out of the case to test.

ive still had no luck. i did have power sw wrong way up and corrected it and still no luck. intfredtingly tghese past 3-4 months ive had hdd led in power led. im sure that doesnt matter though power led came on.

so yeah. im going to have to try my old psu.....seriously can sum1 confirm if that guy had his psu fan running then my mobo is okai....did he plug in his 2o pin connecgtor....im guessing that info would be helpful

Back