Unlocking your E6600 multi rumor...

UPDATE: video of the intel rep saying "use silver paint" ... "to unlock any core 2 duo"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7kAIsZE9MU

-----

Found this rumor on the xs forums... appearantly an intel rep at quakecon said that the multiplier on the core 2 duo chips with locked multi's could be unlocked with a simple mobo mod.

original thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110224

his mod has yet to be confirmed to work, but from what was said at Quakecon here in Texas this weekend by an Intel marketing rep who was demonstrating the overclocking of Intels X6800. It is possible to unlock the multiplier upwards of any Conroe Core 2 Duo, using intels 975BX motherboard by soldering or using conductive paint on a solder point located on the motherboard. I do not own an Intel system but after this I just have to try. The jumper to connect is J8J4 marked MFG and is located between the Black serial ata ports, just to the right of a fan header. Anyone owning this board with locked conroe's may want to try this. I will post results after I pick up a system later this week.

Yes I'm 100% sure. Immediately concluding his demonstration, he showed anyone who wanted to come on the stage where the jumper was located and allowed people to take pics of what he was talking about. There were so many of us up there that they moved to pc from the stage and to the floor next to the stage as they needed to set up for the next event. This is no BS nad since the jumper does exist and is marked "MFG" I believe it. Of course if intel doesn't like it they'll just disable the feature in a bios update. But they did say "They love overclockers, gamers, enthusiast etc." A marketing ploy no doubt to capture the market from AMD

Image:
attachment.php

During the demonstration the rep was using a using x6800 on a 975BX board. During the demonstration the rep clearly said I'll show you all a secret after the demonstration and allow you to come on the stage. He clearly stated that if you want to unlock the multipliers on any conroe core 2 duo like the 6800 is already, all you need do is this mod. He clearly said this has been done back a the labs in oregon and its how they test the cpu's. Now no one but him knows exactly what he meant by all this. He even said that if anyone burns up or destroys the intel cpu or motherboard due to overclocking, intel will replace it. Now of course all this seemed like marketing aimed at the overclocking community, but I'm still convinced that no one would make such a false claim just to stir a crowd. Though I don't think intel is going to guarantee their products of failure as a result in overclocking.

First thing first... I was also at Quakecon, and the rep did indeed state that there was a very easy mod to fully unlock core 2 duo multies (but only at the second presentation, which was in all other ways identical to the first)...as for the "intel will replace fried OCed procs" claim, he said that, then clarified that intel would have no way of knowing you had OCed the proc in the first place if you hadn't told them, so you could (ab)use the warranty to get a knew proc. As for loosing money, i don't think very many people are savvy enough to do this mod as a money-saving tactic-so all it would really do would be to secure intel's foothold in the enthusiast sector. All the nay-sayers who say that this is a big lie...GO TO HELL, I tell U! maybe the intel rep was mistaken, but don't ever doubt what he said. Good luck to those who try this mod-If it works, confirm it, and i'll know which core 2 duo board i'm getting.

would be so cool if it works. anyone have the balls to test it out?

--N

INTEL?!?!?! wow guess they really want to leep AMDat a minimum!!! lol

I believe he said

SILVER PRINT? Used in photography?

It's a 7 page long thread and a bunch of people tried it... doesn't work.

I expect rumors about hacks to enable the extra 2MB cache on allendale to show up any day now.

schizo said:
It's a 7 page long thread and a bunch of people tried it... doesn't work.

I expect rumors about hacks to enable the extra 2MB cache on allendale to show up any day now.
The running theories are 1) this mod is negated by the retail bios, or 2) the intel rep had no idea what he was talking about.

still very bizzare, why would he say it lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7kAIsZE9MU

The important thing here is not wether or not you can unlock multis on the badaxe board. The point is that it is possible to unlock multis on the 975X chipset! So all we have to do is wait for ASUS, Abit, or DFI to "officially" implement this unofficial feature on their motherboard! Come on DFI, we know you can do it!!!

InorganicMatter said:
The important thing here is not wether or not you can unlock multis on the badaxe board. The point is that it is possible to unlock multis on the 975X chipset! So all we have to do is wait for ASUS, Abit, or DFI to "officially" implement this unofficial feature on their motherboard! Come on DFI, we know you can do it!!!

Are you kidding me? The answer is no.

fyi guys, Intel has just shipped some Merom units with unlocked multipliers for the enthusiats/gaming market. stories of Conroe with unlocked multipliers is also true :D

He says paint but the guy corrected him more than once.... sounds like PRINT or something similar.

Back